Canadian Government invalidating passports of Canadians who joined extremist groups

Lite Beer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad idea to revoke passports of those planning to travel in the future.

Better to wait until they leave Canadian soil and then invalidate the passport so they cannot return.

A country has an obligation to protect its citizens, even if these means protecting them from themselves, sometimes.

• Like 1

Better to wait until they leave Canadian soil and then invalidate the passport so they cannot return.

A country has an obligation to protect its citizens, even if these means protecting them from themselves, sometimes.

Not if they are fighting for a foreign flag it doesn't, not in my book.

Agreed!

If they've managed to acquire Canadian citizenship, been welcomed into the community and then take off to the middle east as mercenaries working for the IS, then they don't deserve to have a passport.

As for taking away the passports before they leave Canada, a good idea, that way the RCMP can keep tabs on them and prevent them from traveling, unless, of course, they can acquire forged passports.

These batsards don't need protection, their aim is jihad and death to the infidels. Actually quite nice folks.whistling.gif

This is Bu***hit. What if you were born in Canada or Australia? Should the state have the right to relieve you of your citizenship just because they do not agree with your political ideologies? This sets a dangerous precedent. One day times may change and they might decide to remove the citizenship of other groups of people that oppose their views.

Maybe it will be you one day, getting your passport yanked, and stranding you in another country, for nothing more than voting for the opposition, or broadcasting your views on the Governments corruption, or whatever else they may dream up, when you are an irritant to them.

I am surprised not one of the previous posters is agains this type of overzealous action. Whatever happened to the concept of personal freedom? Or are you all to wrapped up in your self righteousness that you can't see the danger here?

This week the Post revealed the identity of another Canadian with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Mohamed Ali, a 23-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., left Canada in April and later wrote online about playing soccer with severed heads.

Other Canadians allegedly with ISIL and similar extremist groups in the region include Hasibullah Yusifzai of Burnaby, B.C., and Calgary’s Farah Shirdon, who this week threatened attacks on the United States, before Twitter suspended his account.

As a Canadian, I am pleased to read this news and hope that the U.K. and the U.S.A. do likewise to passport holders who abuse their nation's generosity in order to create chaos.

I wonder where these cretins will go now they cannot return to Canada?

Most likely go to UK as we cant seem to get enough of "cultural enrichment" these days unfortunately.

A country has no duty nor right to protect citizens from themselves; how preposterous. It is by this vehicle that all manner of government intervention has grown into a leviathan. Governments, ideally, should be created by its citizens for the limited aims set forth in its constitution, and no more. "For the children..." and "for your own good..." are phrases which lead to tyranny.

Otherwise, Ho-ray, CA for waking up.

• Like 2

This is Bu***hit. What if you were born in Canada or Australia? Should the state have the right to relieve you of your citizenship just because they do not agree with your political ideologies? This sets a dangerous precedent. One day times may change and they might decide to remove the citizenship of other groups of people that oppose their views.

Maybe it will be you one day, getting your passport yanked, and stranding you in another country, for nothing more than voting for the opposition, or broadcasting your views on the Governments corruption, or whatever else they may dream up, when you are an irritant to them.

I am surprised not one of the previous posters is agains this type of overzealous action. Whatever happened to the concept of personal freedom? Or are you all to wrapped up in your self righteousness that you can't see the danger here?

While I detest the UN and everything it represents or produced I believe there is some requirement that no one be deprived of a home of record- citizenship- somewhere. However, citizenship and passports are very different. The Passport always belongs to the State, and not the citizen. CA is just withdrawing passports. (i think)

• Like 2

Wow, did you guys kick my butt!

I am not trying to defend these guys, just saying that gov'ts still have to protect their citizens.

Best not to let them go, if they can do it.

I am surprised that the passports haven't been invalidated for travel to these countries. They can be, and if you want to travel to a country, you have to get them validated for travel to that country. Otherwise you are violating the terms of the passport.

I don't give a toss what you think, but, if you think it's OK for your neighbour to go on a killing holiday, on mainly unarmed folk, then you have a problem.

PS. Don't let your real neighbours get a whiff of your stance eh..........facepalm.gif .....Gawd.

So I take that you don't agree with the Americans, when they decide to go around the world on their killing holiday, attacking people with bombs & drones?

Or do you think that they have the right to kill anyone they please (including the 20 or 30 people that happen to be next to their target when they are terminated) without due process?

Can't have it both ways. So which way do you lean?

When practicing that ideology involves taking up arms against a foreign nation...yes.

This week the Post revealed the identity of another Canadian with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Mohamed Ali, a 23-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., left Canada in April and later wrote online about playing soccer with severed heads.

Other Canadians allegedly with ISIL and similar extremist groups in the region include Hasibullah Yusifzai of Burnaby, B.C., and Calgarys Farah Shirdon, who this week threatened attacks on the United States, before Twitter suspended his account.

As a Canadian, I am pleased to read this news and hope that the U.K. and the U.S.A. do likewise to passport holders who abuse their nation's generosity in order to create chaos.

I wonder where these cretins will go now they cannot return to Canada?

They will probably come to Britain, we will take any of the worlds dross these days!

• Like 2

You make a valid point, and one akin to something that struck me too. Everyone assumes the cancelled passports belong to immigrants. What if a jihadi is a born and bred Canadian? There are Caucasian jihadis.

Western governments need to not fall into a kneejerk reaction.

Perhaps the cancellation of a passport is not cancellation of citizenship, but rather it is a way to detain them when they eventually turn up at an airport. I think that is fair enough....especially if they do it to all citizens who go abroad to fight for any other nation/organisation (including the IDF...I mean, why discriminate?)

They discriminate because not discriminating has led to the multicultural morass the west is in. Not discriminating has brought us to today!

They should discriminate because there is no unifying IDF policy of returning to CA and other countries to overthrow the legitimately elected government and enslave others. The notion that a person cannot look at an issue regarding mulsim jihadis and see it separated from Jews says volumes about the observer. This issue is about terrorism and the tendency or likelihood toward terrorism upon return. It has far less to do with islam as a practical matter of state. To extrapolate some Jewish linkage actually says more about your post then the actual words.

I'll ignore your usual verbose prattle that is less an answer than a way for you to continue your fear-preaching.

If you think it is right to make a law for one group of people but that it should not apply to others, then it speaks volumes about your attitude towards democracy and fairness. The IDF is only different in it's terrorism by the weapons it uses.

When a person finds a means to insert or suggest jew into so many disparate threads then they are... well, you know that already, dont you? Increasingly, everyone else knows this about you too.

This thread is about extremists groups- the currently agreed upon standards of extremist groups that pose a threat to the homeland.

• Like 2