Lpg Conversion For Old Toyota

Hi Everyone,

With the increasing fuel prices and terrible mileage of our old, steel tub, I've considered having it converted to handle both LPG and standard petrol. This car is a 25 year old Toyota (engine is about two years newer). Although the price of LPG is shooting up 6 baht/kg, it may still be loads cheaper than paying nearly 30 baht/liter for regular petrol. I'm not sure on the cost of having this work done, but I've heard that it's somewhere around 40K baht. Our car used to run on LPG as it still has the valves in both the trunk and engine compartment. My father-in-law has a 5 year old LPG tank that he would be happy to give us if we wanted to make the conversion.

Any comments or suggestions welcome :o

LPG installation costs nowhere near 40000 Baht, I payed 18000 Bath for a complete new installation in my 23 yr old Volvo!

You might be confused with NGV installations which are around 40K I think...

Current price for LPG is 9.65 Baht/liter. Even if you count in the 10% consumption increase, you'll still save heaps!

If they ever decide to stop subsidize LPG, price would go up to approx. 13 Baht/liter, so you'll still be running half price compared to petrol.

Do insist they put in a valve lubrication set on a car that old, since LPG runs a bit hotter and lacks the lubricating effect of regular fuel. These old cars had valves designed for use with leaded fuel, so they're not very strong...

THe lubrication set only burns around half a liter of two stroke oil per every 5 tanks of LPG, so it doesn't really add to running costs!

Cheers,

Monty