A close shave

jackoholly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

self deleted

To the OP. Why not just buy a razor. You can buy a Fusion, if you want a really close shave, it has five blades and runs with a small battery. That's what I use, and would fully recommend it.

Fusion pro electric (the battery one) 500 baht or close to it at Boots for one 3 pack of blades. The blades last me two shaves or 83 baht a shave.

self deleted

To the OP. Why not just buy a razor. You can buy a Fusion, if you want a really close shave, it has five blades and runs with a small battery. That's what I use, and would fully recommend it.

Fusion pro electric (the battery one) 500 baht or close to it at Boots for one 3 pack of blades. The blades last me two shaves or 83 baht a shave.

One blade lasts me about a month, and I have never had facial hair in my life, I have never bought those blades in Thailand, I always bought plenty when I was in the UK.

self deleted

One blade lasts me about a month, and I have never had facial hair in my life, I have never bought those blades in Thailand, I always bought plenty when I was in the UK.

Are we talking about the same one?

post-187908-0-25351500-1411308315_thumb.

Thailiketoo. I think so, they have five blades in them, maybe you have a thick growth. I shave every morning, never more than once a day.

I really like the razor for two shaves then it hurts like heck. I get a week or more out of the blue ones with no battery but not quite as nice as the first two with the battery one but 83 baht a shave for me is nuts. I'm now trying soaking the fusion one in olive oil and stropping it on my jeans to see if that helps.

post-187908-0-40416300-1411309074_thumb.

Thailiketoo. I think so, they have five blades in them, maybe you have a thick growth. I shave every morning, never more than once a day.

I really like the razor for two shaves then it hurts like heck. I get a week or more out of the blue ones with no battery but not quite as nice as the first two with the battery one but 83 baht a shave for me is nuts. I'm now trying soaking the fusion one in olive oil and stropping it on my jeans to see if that helps.

I hope it works for you.

self deleted

83 thb per shave? You've got to be joking. Werewolves can shave for less than that.

This ritual is a normal way of life in India....ahh those were the days!

When I lived in Pattaya I would get shaved daily at the little barber shop close to Pattaya Memorial hospital on Pattaya Kang. But they would cut the heck out of my face unless I shaved first, It was a great shave but it was my second shave every day and that eventually got boring.

This ritual is a normal way of life in India....ahh those were the days!

When I lived in Pattaya I would get shaved daily at the little barber shop close to Pattaya Memorial hospital on Pattaya Kang. But they would cut the heck out of my face unless I shaved first, It was a great shave but it was my second shave every day and that eventually got boring.

Hopeless......the only issue at my favourite barber in India was their love of Brut33.

Blue Harbour

Owned by veteran architect and A49 design studio founder, Nithi Stapitanonda, Blue Harbour is a real gem when it comes to men’s grooming. Aside from the meticulous shop design which reminds us of a proper men’s salon, the real draw is barber Sawas Saard, who can claim more than 45 years’ experience in men’s cuts and shaves. This place is perfect for those wanting a classic shave with a straight razor or desperate to achieve that complete Don Draper look. The price for a shampoo and cut starts from B1,000, shave from B450.
2/F, K-Village, Suhkumvit 26, 02-661-2901-2. Open daily 10am-9pm.

FYI - I've not been so cannot confirm this place is still there, the info was from Sept 2013. You might want to phone first.

I went there and ... IMO ... it wasn't that great.

Well ,your name is HOLLY.... Seems more of a gay bloke, not a wimp,,,Razor burn, please,,, guess you moved to Thailand ,tired of the men back home whooping your ass when you went to your local huh..Too funny..

I went to get a haircut at Never Say Cutz (Ari branch) and after the cut the barber tilted the chair back and started putting foarm on my face and neck. Pulls out the straight razor and gives me my first barber shave of my life. I am not sure if the shave is included everytime you get a haircut but the total price was 350 (same as what was advertised for a haircut). Would definitely go back.

JustinCider, are you sure it was a straight-razor as opposed to a interchangeable single blade razor? They're sharper but also smoother on the skin. I can't deal with razor-burn. Guess I'm a bit of a wimp.

Bigguy .. little mind.

Don't assume all men in Asia have little or soft facial hair ... nor that you can't get a great a proper straight razor shave in Asia.

There is nothing finer that laying back and getting a great shave. The best shaves I've had have been in India. If you really want the full luxury treatment try a five-star hotel where you're likely to get the best shaving experience of your life: First a great facial scrubbing ... then steaming hot towel over the face ... then lathered up and shaved my a master shaver ... then hot towel over the face again ... then lathered up and shaved again in the other direction ... then a bit of face slapping and a nice aftershave applied (I like rosewater). Wow! Wish I could get one every other day.

You can also find this outside of five-star hotel but you either have to be lucky or get a tip from a local.

Don't assume all men in Asia have little or soft facial hair ... nor that you can't get a great a proper straight razor shave in Asia.

There is nothing finer that laying back and getting a great shave. The best shaves I've had have been in India. If you really want the full luxury treatment try a five-star hotel where you're likely to get the best shaving experience of your life: First a great facial scrubbing ... then steaming hot towel over the face ... then lathered up and shaved my a master shaver ... then hot towel over the face again ... then lathered up and shaved again in the other direction ... then a bit of face slapping and a nice aftershave applied (I like rosewater). Wow! Wish I could get one every other day.

You can also find this outside of five-star hotel but you either have to be lucky or get a tip from a local.

HerbalEd, thank you.

Yes, that seems a great option (for a special occasion) I don't think I could afford this on a regular basis. Do you have any specific recommendations on hotel?

Thanks

Stropping disposable razor cartridges was mentioned in another thread recently. I don't find any benefit from using the powered Gillette Fusion razor. I do get another 2-3 shaves from the Gillette Fusion blade if I strop it. I don't like putting the cartridge in oil or liquid soap because the lubricating strip becomes gummy and comes off onto the stropping material. As a consequence, I dry the razor and blade after each shave then strop it until it's shiny just before I use it again. I get two to three the number of good quality shaves that I used to get which was only two. After the third or fourth shave, the blade doesn't cut too closely around the mouth so I use a Gillette Daisy for trimmimg around the mouth. Jack Black's Supreme Cream is my shaving cream of choice these days. I can't remember the last time I cut or otherwise irritated my face.

Just as a gauge..

In UK current average price for a proper wet shave at a Real Gents barber shop (Hot Towels etc and cut-throat) runs out at around £12.50 - £18 Northern UK anyways, probably a rip off down sarrfff....

The vibrating pro glides.... well up to you, personally save your money, invest a a Gillette Mach 3 (far better shave than Gillettes proglide range (either Vibe or plain) why you think Gillette still sells the Mach III? (but they make more on the fusions) Then buy yourself a decent Badger hair shaving brush, read up on them, they are graded and real Badger hair (thats the best to produce lather and raise the beard up ready to shave) price from £10 upwards depending on grade of brush, then get a nice traditional Sandalwood shaving soap or something similar in a wooden bowl and Bob's your Aunt Fannie's fella... always shave after a shower or bath etc as the beard is protruded and you get a better, cleaner shave. Asian men do not have the same beard type - hair as Western men, thats Fact. I have a mate who has a US dad and jap mom and he gets pi$$ed that he gets a wispy Foo man chu beard if he lets it grow.

Shaving soap; I use Geo F Trumpers, is quality and pure luxury, take your time to shave and enjoy it as part of your routine, Taylors of Old Bond Street also quality soap and equipment, along with Kent and Truefitt & Hill, Arko is a Turkish brand but also ok. Going the Hog and using a Cut throat takes a little learning, I would go with a Mach three first, really. I have had shaves in the UK, US, Turkey and Thailand but I still reckon I get a closer shave by my own hand. If you have a microwave you can also do the hot towel thing (but as said shower first and this negates that) Try it... better still teach the Mrs how, is good to get pampered lol

I believe they do this sort of thing in the Arab/Nana district in Sukumvit. You are brave I cant stop thinking about the opening scene of "Eastern Promises" perhaps watch that first before proceeding. Only joking you should be fine this is Thailand, everything is safe and clean.smile.png

The Thai locals don't have particularly full/thick beards so my guess is that they don't really exist in Asia at all.

Do all "westerners" go looking around to have their beard shaved? Cant they do it by themselves?

I have beard and last time I checked, my country was still in ASIA....

I would just wander down a few side sois, sure you will fairly quickly find a barber who does a shave, it is still a common skill here.

When I had hair, I didn't mind paying a few hundred baht for the experience, now I am quite happy with THB 70 per week for head & facial shave (both with cut-throat) and goatee trim.

I know this is not the question you asked but the best shaves i have ever had in my life are with a Gillette Fusion 5 blade wet razor. And one blade head module lasts months!!!!!! IMHO they are fabulous.

Assuming you mean the manual one. I googled "Gillette Fusion 5 blade wet razor" and

get no results = 0

Since I get 1 or 2 shaves to the blade with Gillette Fusion Pro Glide and you get months I guess they re engineered the blade to make it not shave well.

Breakthrough Blade Technology

The new Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide™ Power Razor has been reengineered and redesigned to create Gillette's Most Comfortable Shave.

It has thinner, finer blades*, with Gillette’s most advanced low resistance coating. For less tug and pull versus Fusion and an effortless glide. Providing incredible comfort, even if you shave everyday.

You may not see all of the latest innovations on the NEW Gillette Fusion ProGlide and Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razors with the naked eye but after one shave, you’ll stop shaving and start gliding.

That's some very good advice. I had no idea I would get this much interest talking about shaving in Thailand!

I do use the Gillette fusion five blade razor but the Gillette fusion Power I have used in the past doesn't seem all that much betterin comparison. I guess I'm just a lazy person looking for someone to be able to shave me for cheapand being in Thailand I thought I might be out of find it.

Thanks again for the advice. I will look around the areas you mentioned in the above threads and see which is the best for me. I do see that clearly it would be cheaper for me to buy my own international brand razors and shake myself as opposed to spending 300 baht twice a week for a shave