Victoria Restaurant, Sukhumvit Soi 7 Bangkok

milicano007

I think its Swiss owned (it was) I've been in a few times as a Brit. No one made me unwelcome but the language at the bar is German. The trick is - don't mention the war, I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it....as for the girls, why would you need to know, when Sukhumvit is knee deep in them? Go along have a beer, talk to the Master Race and then go for a wander down Suk.

I think its Swiss owned (it was) I've been in a few times as a Brit. No one made me unwelcome but the language at the bar is German. The trick is - don't mention the war, I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it....as for the girls, why would you need to know, when Sukhumvit is knee deep in them? Go along have a beer, talk to the Master Race and then go for a wander down Suk.

I've drank with many Swiss and Germans on their 'own turf' in Bangkok and they all seem to like having a good time, never any problems.

• 1 year later...

Walked past there yesterday (April 13) and The Victoria is closed down as is the former New Wave/Thai Visa bar. They have for rent signs but I suspect very short term as everything looks like it might come down soon. The alleyway from 7 to 5 is now sealed at the Soi 5 end and the adjacent Amari Hotel is starting a major construction project where their Beergarden was alongside the hotel. It looks like it will be incorporating a part of that end of the alley. The kabab vendor who has been there for years is gone.

For more than 10 years, I've been hearing the omnipresent malcontents complain about the S-7 Beergarden and how it has gone down hill and how great it was before and blah-blah.

Soon it will be history and without doubt, all the same perpetual moaners will be crying about how wonderful it was and all the good times they had there....count on it.

Edited by dddave

This bar now seems to be closed. Anyone know what happened or did it relocate?

New Wave/Thai Visa pub is shut....managerial issues it seems.

that is no loss. i stopped by once out of curiosity, beer was warm staff was downright sullen.

also it would stand to reason that the recent ownership change of the thaivisa name is involved.

perhaps a crappy pub for miserable expats wasnt part of the new brand strategy.

as an aside, that block has been mooted for development for year, perhaps thats what is afoot.

Edited by HooHaa

This bar now seems to be closed. Anyone know what happened or did it relocate?

New Wave/Thai Visa pub is shut....managerial issues it seems.

Pretty silly concept for a pub anyway. Maybe the "freecreditreport.com" pub can open in that location. facepalm.gif

Heard it all now..

"Does the girls at the restaurant go with customers" ??? Bizarre request....

How is that a "bizarre request"? Aren't you aware that BKK is the sleaziest prostitution city in the entire world? Surely somebody must have told you about that by now.

"For more than 10 years, I've been hearing the omnipresent malcontents complain about the S-7 Beergarden and how it has gone down hill and how great it was before and blah-blah.

Soon it will be history and without doubt, all the same perpetual moaners will be crying about how wonderful it was and all the good times they had there....count on it."

I like it.

A short walk through from eleven, it has been my first port of call for years.

A cheap breakfast with coffee and the a couple of beers whilst reading the Post.

The girls (and staff) have always been friendly and quite willing to run a few errands for me for a few baht.

Hardly their fault that without exception they are not the prettiest but once you hear some of their stories it is difficult not to sympathise with their various predicaments and even more difficult to be critical.

Last time I was there one had just been beaten by a German customer because she insisted upon precautions. He pushed her out of his room violently (she had to knock to get her handbag and he threw it at her and refused to pay.

She returned to the bar in tears. Me, soft as I am, gave her 1000 which helped out a bit.

There is over much criticism on this forum sometimes. Everybody is human and has a story, some of them very, very sad.

I digress. Is it to be closed? If so when?

Edited by Beechboy

The whole Suk soi 7 area is scheduled for redevelopment. The suk 5-7 tunnel being demolished, the open air soi 7 restaurants being torn down, and the many shuttered shops about should have been your first clue. Hard to believe you are not aware of this if you have any conversations or relationships with the locals.

I heard that another hotel will be going up. Oh joy just what is needed on a narrow soi in lower Suk that large tourist buses that can barely navigate to begin with.

SL

"The whole Suk soi 7 area is scheduled for redevelopment. The suk 5-7 tunnel being demolished, the open air soi 7 restaurants being torn down, and the many shuttered shops about should have been your first clue. Hard to believe you are not aware of this if you have any conversations or relationships with the locals."

Oh dear!

Of course I had noticed the re-development in that area.

Hard to miss.

It's just that I had heard nothing definite about the beer garden being closed, or when.

For more than ten years I've heard ongoing rumors of BG-7's imminent closure, especially when one of the older owners died (on the can in the men's room) several years ago, but it hasn't happened yet.

The current owner has to be struggling. I don't know the rent but I know it's high. He has tried opening an air-conditioned area in the upstairs mezzanine...I've never yet seen a single person sitting there. He built out a disco in the rear, opening onto the alley and that was a complete bust. He introduced a live DJ in late afternoons and live bands at night and most customers seem to hate both. The nights of SRO crowds have long passed, as has the youth of most of the regular providers. There still can be seen an occasional bright new face, but not very often.

Staff has been cut back and those remaining have had their pay cut. You will find the bar staff much more aggressive these days looking for drinks and tips, trying to fill out what has been lost. The writing is pretty much on the wall; BG-7's time has past. One night, sooner or later, the front gate will be locked at 2am and not unlocked until the demo crew shows up sometime later.

I haven't been to the Victoria since last year but AFAIR it was a restaurant and bar.

I always enjoyed the food there, perhaps because an old friend is/was a cook there.

As for taking a girl out from there the girls were mainly older ladies who had no need for takeaways.

If it has closed I would be sad as the food was always good there.

Walked past there yesterday (April 13) and The Victoria is closed down as is the former New Wave/Thai Visa bar. They have for rent signs but I suspect very short term as everything looks like it might come down soon. The alleyway from 7 to 5 is now sealed at the Soi 5 end and the adjacent Amari Hotel is starting a major construction project where their Beergarden was alongside the hotel. It looks like it will be incorporating a part of that end of the alley. The kabab vendor who has been there for years is gone.

For more than 10 years, I've been hearing the omnipresent malcontents complain about the S-7 Beergarden and how it has gone down hill and how great it was before and blah-blah.

Soon it will be history and without doubt, all the same perpetual moaners will be crying about how wonderful it was and all the good times they had there....count on it.

The soi and the car park/beer garden are being developed into a market aimed at the typical Soi 3/Soi5 crowd The sweaty kebab vendor is still there as of yesterday.

that is no loss. i stopped by once out of curiosity, beer was warm staff was downright sullen.

also it would stand to reason that the recent ownership change of the thaivisa name is involved.

perhaps a crappy pub for miserable expats wasnt part of the new brand strategy.

as an aside, that block has been mooted for development for year, perhaps thats what is afoot.

As a regular contributor to it's coffers for over 15 years I know that New Wave (the original and the last incarnation) was always a great bar with great staff.

The changes came following the business association with Thaivisa at the time, a mistake the French owner made that, as you noticed introduced, temporarily, the Thaivisa customer.

Thaivisa was never the owner, or part owner, of that bar so the new ownership of Thaivisa had nothing to do with New Wave's downfall.

The whole Suk soi 7 area is scheduled for redevelopment. The suk 5-7 tunnel being demolished, the open air soi 7 restaurants being torn down, and the many shuttered shops about should have been your first clue. Hard to believe you are not aware of this if you have any conversations or relationships with the locals.

I heard that another hotel will be going up. Oh joy just what is needed on a narrow soi in lower Suk that large tourist buses that can barely navigate to begin with.

SL

Presumably you're referring to the land on the corner of Soi 7, currently occupied by the house of the land owners behind the fencing? Discussion and speculation, regardless of your relationships with the locals, about the future of that plot is futile until the owners actually sell the land and they haven't done so in the 3 years since New Wave and the rest of the arcade that partially occupied the area was demolished.

A development on that plot, whatever it was, would make no difference to the plight of tourist buses because that issue is caused by the tourist traffic generated by the hotels in Soi 5 that has no choice but to use Soi 7.