Snake eats my hen eggs

april81

Build a proper chicken coop, make it snake proof.... Happy chickens, happy eggs :)

Don't kill snakes just cause you lost an egg !! Cobras do eat eggs and other snakes.. Golden Tree snakes don't eat eggs..

don't kill the snake?? Really??? It is a cobra for god sakes, I have killed numerous cobras while living in Thailand, these are deadly, so kill them and you will probably have allot of eggs next.

this is just common sense, wouldn't think this would ever be posted on the board.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

kill it, i killed 5 during the course of a year in my garden last year with a shovel. I wouldn't normally advocate killing but my garden has high walls and they would find it difficult to find their way out and i have a small inquisitive son,rather the snake dies than my son.

Live and let live.

When snakes can come into your garden, despite the walls, then they will find their way out. Killing is no option, especially if you do not exactly know, what kind of snake you are killing.

Its not your five year old son that's at risk is it?

kill it, i killed 5 during the course of a year in my garden last year with a shovel. I wouldn't normally advocate killing but my garden has high walls and they would find it difficult to find their way out and i have a small inquisitive son,rather the snake dies than my son.

Live and let live.

When snakes can come into your garden, despite the walls, then they will find their way out. Killing is no option, especially if you do not exactly know, what kind of snake you are killing.

That is a good attitude but I am unsure when it comes to cobras, particularly if you have kids running around.

Most Thais will just kill every snake they come across before being selective.

And 'live and let live' should not apply if they are taking food from your mouth.

You would make an effort to eliminate any pest/predator that was attacking the chickens.

Part of living in the country.

• Like 1

If it turns out it's the neighbour's kid or some other kid that's stealing your eggs, and you have poisoned them.....you might get in to some trouble !!!!

Big Doo Doo......

PS: I like snakes...So I would not advice killing it,....killing is always the easy way....the way that's takes the least effort.... But it's up to you....!!

Edited by off road pat

Reply to fxe1200:

Even a bite from a non-venomous snake can cause infecting, leading to all kinds of issues, including amputation and septicaemia, which can lead to death. However, it is your kids lives you are dealing with, the onus is on you to "protect" them, I assume you know exactly what all snakes look like, by reading a book, and have memorised it.... good for you, but, and a big but, your kids are not always with you. I believe in many countries their Dept. of Child Welfare, or equivalent, would be very interested in your thoughts, especially if one of your kids was bitten, and your excuse was, "Oh, I had to read my book first." Personally, I do not kill snakes, if it can be avoided, but if one, venomous or not, threatened my kids, then that snake dies.

Reply to fxe1200:

Even a bite from a non-venomous snake can cause infecting, leading to all kinds of issues, including amputation and septicaemia, which can lead to death. However, it is your kids lives you are dealing with, the onus is on you to "protect" them, I assume you know exactly what all snakes look like, by reading a book, and have memorised it.... good for you, but, and a big but, your kids are not always with you. I believe in many countries their Dept. of Child Welfare, or equivalent, would be very interested in your thoughts, especially if one of your kids was bitten, and your excuse was, "Oh, I had to read my book first." Personally, I do not kill snakes, if it can be avoided, but if one, venomous or not, threatened my kids, then that snake dies.

Sorry but your last line made me laugh...

I just have a picture in my head of a cobra pinning your kid up against a wall and demanding their new Iphone :)

Local kids run around unsupervised all the time here. Educate your kids as well as yourself..

• Like 1

cornishcarlos, on 24 Sept 2014 - 10:42, said:
MediaWatcher, on 24 Sept 2014 - 10:29, said:

Reply to fxe1200:

Sorry but your last line made me laugh...

I just have a picture in my head of a cobra pinning your kid up against a wall and demanding their new Iphone smile.png

Local kids run around unsupervised all the time here. Educate your kids as well as yourself..

It is the responsibility of adults to educate AND protect kids...but this takes time, kids are not born with this knowledge and need some years to learn what is dangerous and what is not, we as "good" parents need to protect our kids from "any" danger, same as a lioness protects her young, a snake protects her young etc etc etc.... they do NOT go looking for a book.

Build a proper chicken coop, make it snake proof.... Happy chickens, happy eggs smile.png

Don't kill snakes just cause you lost an egg !! Cobras do eat eggs and other snakes.. Golden Tree snakes don't eat eggs..

don't kill the snake?? Really??? It is a cobra for god sakes, I have killed numerous cobras while living in Thailand, these are deadly, so kill them and you will probably have allot of eggs next.

this is just common sense, wouldn't think this would ever be posted on the board.

Common sense ?? Common sense would dictate learning about the environment you choose to live in.

Cobras are not deadly unless they bite, and even then they rarely kill healthy adults (children and older people maybe).

Also, they don't just slide up and take a chunk out your leg !! Usually you have to corner them for them to attack. Generally they will make a run for it.

Please post a link to the last reported death in Thailand by a cobra bite ?? Don't post the article about the young boy who got bitten in his bed, different snake and different scenario.

Note that cornishcarlos, ''rarely kill healthy adults, children and older people maybe''.........important words here, RARELY, CHILDREN, OLDER PEOPLE, so that's alright then. I don't take risks with 'rarely' or 'children' or 'older people' i take a shovel and chop the heads off, presto, no more 'rarely,' just, definitely no longer able to kill anything

Cobra's I believe eat other snakes rather than hens eggs. Just because you have seen a snake in the area doesn't mean it is responsible for the lack of eggs. Maybe the fact the snake has located in your garden has scared the hens enough to stop laying ?

Ok may be it's not a cobra ate the eggs because i saw 2 species, the cobra and i saw a golden tree snake around there but everytimes my hens lays the eggs disappears and it's not the rats because there is any trace of broken eggs

It could be a neighbour who doesn't want an increase in noisy roosters in the vicinity.

Build a proper chicken coop, make it snake proof.... Happy chickens, happy eggs smile.png

Common sense ?? Common sense would dictate learning about the environment you choose to live in.

Cobras are not deadly unless they bite, and even then they rarely kill healthy adults (children and older people maybe).

Also, they don't just slide up and take a chunk out your leg !! Usually you have to corner them for them to attack. Generally they will make a run for it.

Please post a link to the last reported death in Thailand by a cobra bite ?? Don't post the article about the young boy who got bitten in his bed, different snake and different scenario.

Note that cornishcarlos, ''rarely kill healthy adults, children and older people maybe''.........important words here, RARELY, CHILDREN, OLDER PEOPLE, so that's alright then. I don't take risks with 'rarely' or 'children' or 'older people' i take a shovel and chop the heads off, presto, no more 'rarely,' just, definitely no longer able to kill anything

Like I said, try and find any news article on a death from a cobra bite in Thailand recently !!

You are more likely to get bitten trying to 'presto' its head off with a shovel.

I have never seen a cobra family setting up home on my porch, the occasional one will slither through the property and continue on its way.

Just leave them alone ya big bully :)

• Like 1

A neighbour,two houses from us lost the use of his right arm due to a cobra last year,admittedly he didn't die. We live in the countryside,he was working in his garden when he was bitten and although he was in hospital within half an hour one of his muscles was so badly damaged that he can no longer work at his trade,he is/was a carpenter. That has had a profound effect on his living standard, here there is no mercy for snakes and i can understand that.

Bad idea to kill snakes, even though I for one are terrified of them. Better to find the killer first. Geese are a very good idea. You could also try moth balls around the enclosure, snakes don't like them. We do our house garden about once every 9 months, - it works. It could indeed be a hungry chicken. Small size chicken netting fence is also a good idea hav done that in Oz -landed 3 large brown snakes in one day - still alive. The snake catcher was very pleased. Good luck.