Snake eats my hen eggs

april81

Cobra's I believe eat other snakes rather than hens eggs. Just because you have seen a snake in the area doesn't mean it is responsible for the lack of eggs. Maybe the fact the snake has located in your garden has scared the hens enough to stop laying ?

• Like 1

Cobra's I believe eat other snakes rather than hens eggs. Just because you have seen a snake in the area doesn't mean it is responsible for the lack of eggs. Maybe the fact the snake has located in your garden has scared the hens enough to stop laying ?

Ok may be it's not a cobra ate the eggs because i saw 2 species, the cobra and i saw a golden tree snake around there but everytimes my hens lays the eggs disappears and it's not the rats because there is any trace of broken eggs

I have heard that you can make a tiny hole in an egg and inject the poison. Cover the hole with a small bit of mud. The problem with this is that you are not certain who or what is stealing your eggs and poison is very indiscriminate. You could also get a gill net from a fishing supply store and put it around your coop. Your chooks should be able to fly over. Make the mesh small enough to prevent an egg from passing through so the snake may enter, but won't be able to leave.

I have heard that you can make a tiny hole in an egg and inject the poison. Cover the hole with a small bit of mud. The problem with this is that you are not certain who or what is stealing your eggs and poison is very indiscriminate. You could also get a gill net from a fishing supply store and put it around your coop. Your chooks should be able to fly over. Make the mesh small enough to prevent an egg from passing through so the snake may enter, but won't be able to leave.

funny you should say these,

as ive done both, i inject eggs, as its a crow that comes and gets mine, it will come into and around our pig pens looking for eggs in the boxes, so i inject the odd ones with poison, they fly off with them,

and as for the net if you look at our farm photos, youll see i have the white plastic net all round our farm, concrete posts first, 8 strands on barbed wire, then the net 2 mtrs high, then around the bottom corrigated tin, the snakes get there head and part way through and get stuck, cant go forward carnt go back,

i fount it out by accident as a snake was on the roof of our pig pen, jumped down when saw me coming, swam accros our pond, tried to get through the net that was keeping our ducks in and got stuck,, i thought now that is a good idea, so thats what we have above,,

jake

Actually, normal cobras (of the Naja genus) do eat eggs, the King Cobra is the one that only eats snakes.

• Like 1

kill it, i killed 5 during the course of a year in my garden last year with a shovel. I wouldn't normally advocate killing but my garden has high walls and they would find it difficult to find their way out and i have a small inquisitive son,rather the snake dies than my son.

• Like 2

kill it, i killed 5 during the course of a year in my garden last year with a shovel. I wouldn't normally advocate killing but my garden has high walls and they would find it difficult to find their way out and i have a small inquisitive son,rather the snake dies than my son.

Live and let live.

When snakes can come into your garden, despite the walls, then they will find their way out. Killing is no option, especially if you do not exactly know, what kind of snake you are killing.

I bet its the hens themselves. They will eat the egg very quickly including the shell. Check their beaks for congealed yoke. Had the problem my self. Difficult to cure other than housing separately. Then killing the one that does it. The others tend to copy and eat it when broken but don't break it themselves..

Edited by Chicken George

fxe1200, on 23 Sept 2014 - 17:43, said:
soalbundy, on 23 Sept 2014 - 17:22, said:

Live and let live.

When snakes can come into your garden, despite the walls, then they will find their way out. Killing is no option, especially if you do not exactly know, what kind of snake you are killing.

I guess you don't have kids.... snake or kids...sorry, snake dies, no different than some animal trying to kill a snake's babies, the parent will try and kill it.

• Like 1

fxe1200, on 23 Sept 2014 - 17:43, said:
soalbundy, on 23 Sept 2014 - 17:22, said:

Live and let live.

I guess you don't have kids.... snake or kids...sorry, snake dies, no different than some animal trying to kill a snake's babies, the parent will try and kill it.

Snakes are very shy animals, and may be you and some others here should read "A photographic guide to Snakes and other Reptiles of Thailand", and have this book handy at all times. ISBN 978-1-84330-019-9. By the way, we have kids.

Geese (nok haan) are the best answer - snakes hate the goose droppings (so will you)but it works. They also help to keep two-legged visitors away, many of the whisky distilleries used to use them for security - they make a lot of noise if disturbed.

• Like 1

fxe1200, on 23 Sept 2014 - 18:45, said:
MediaWatcher, on 23 Sept 2014 - 18:11, said:
fxe1200, on 23 Sept 2014 - 17:43, said:fxe1200, on 23 Sept 2014 - 17:43, said:
Live and let live.

Snakes are very shy animals, and may be you and some others here should read "A photographic guide to Snakes and other Reptiles of Thailand", and have this book handy at all times. ISBN 978-1-84330-019-9. By the way, we have kids.

Shy they might be, but they still bite and kill, you should think more about the safety of your kids...or one day they'll come in carrying a snake saying daddy daddy, what snake is this. what a tool, putting a snakes life before your kids

Get that book, learn about snakes, and THEN you know how to deal with the situation. But why kill a non-venomous snake, even in the hand of one of your kids? May be you just tell them, to release the snake slowly on the floor? Your mindset reminds me of that American attitude: "Shoot first and then ask questions." Probably you would have killed our garden beauty as well, oh God!

post-8625-0-44087100-1411475414_thumb.jp

Edited by fxe1200
  • Like 1

You might find it is a Greater Coucal I frigin shit of a bird and cunning I had the same problem until I actually caught it in the act with hens eggs in its beak and flying off

Beautiful bird though, love them in our backyard, but we have the eggs in the fridge!