Minimum salary for work permit/visa?

I know there is a different minimum salary requirement for different nationalities to get a on year permit to stay based on employment.

My question is if there is a minimum salary requirement to get a Non B visa / work permit? I'm after a job that pays 25k baht a month (Not much but there are other benefits, good work hours and stuff) and I'm wondering will I be granted a WP and a visa based on that (multiple entry Non B I guess)

Here is a list. I don't know if it is still up-to-date. But 25k is really the absoulte minimum for african and other south east asian countries. Don't ask me why, but I guess you are from South Africa so 35k.

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-visa-and-work-permit/thailand-work-permit/work-permit-minimum-wages-applicable-to-foreign-workers.html

Europe and Australia, Canada, Japan, the United States of America (except Russia) 50,000 per month
South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong 45,000 per month
Asian Countries (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam)South America,Eastern Europe,Central America,
Mexico,Russia,South Africa 35,000 per month
All African Countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam 25,000 per month
Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 1

I believe these are thresholds for a one year permit to stay extension. But getting a non B is a separate story. For example I know Americans who earn around 40k a month so they are not eligible for a one year extension, they only have a multiple entry Non B visa and have to leave the country (do a so called boarded bounce) every 90 days.

My question is if there is a minimum salary required to receive a WP and than a Non B based on that.

I believe these are thresholds for a one year permit to stay extension. But getting a non B is a separate story. For example I know Americans who earn around 40k a month so they are not eligible for a one year extension, they only have a multiple entry Non B visa and have to leave the country (do a so called boarded bounce) every 90 days.

My question is if there is a minimum salary required to receive a WP and than a Non B based on that.

There are exceptions about minimum wages. I think teachers and expats who are married or have a thai child don't need a minimum salary for the WP.

Anyway you will need the Non B visa before you can get a WP. So the company which will employ you have to give you all necessary documents so you can and you have to travel outside Thailand and apply for a Non Imm B visa at an Embassy or consulate.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Anyway you will need the Non B visa before you can get a WP. So the company which will employ you have to give you all necessary documents so you can and you have to travel outside Thailand and apply for a Non Imm B visa at an Embassy or consulate.

Yes, I know that. I'm just wondering if they will be able to provide me with the paper work, namely - is 25k/month salary enough to get me a WP.

The whole situation is actually a bit more complicated. I'm already employed by this company, I earn enough to get a one year extension of stay and this is what I'm here on. I also have a WP. However the conditions of my employment are about to change in the next couple of weeks and I will be getting less money (25k) so a one year extention of stay will not be an option anymore.

My current extension is valid until late November

My WP is valid till October 2015.

My contract will be changed in the next 2-3 weeks.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

If you are married to a Thai and get your work permit on the basis of that there's all sort of things you can offset. It's not really the pay the authorities are interested in, it's how much tax you must pay. For example I have a Thai wife and half Thai child, with this current wife, in full time education. So as a Brit I can get the required 50K down at least 10 and save heaps on tax.

Not really a help I know if you're not married to a native.

SDM

Yes, I know that. I'm just wondering if they will be able to provide me with the paper work, namely - is 25k/month salary enough to get me a WP.

The whole situation is actually a bit more complicated. I'm already employed by this company, I earn enough to get a one year extension of stay and this is what I'm here on. I also have a WP. However the conditions of my employment are about to change in the next couple of weeks and I will be getting less money (25k) so a one year extention of stay will not be an option anymore.

your current extension will be good until November

and maintaining you extension shouldnt be a problem if you or the company is prepared to pay tax on the amount stated for your nationality ie they have you on the books for say 50k/m pay the tax but in reality you are only drawing 25k in salary in practice this is very workable and in practice nothing changes

• Like 2

If you are married to a Thai and get your work permit on the basis of that there's all sort of things you can offset. It's not really the pay the authorities are interested in, it's how much tax you must pay. For example I have a Thai wife and half Thai child, with this current wife, in full time education. So as a Brit I can get the required 50K down at least 10 and save heaps on tax.

Not really a help I know if you're not married to a native.

SDM

er you cant be issued a WP on the basis of being married to a Thai, you can only be issued a WP on the basis of having a job with a Thai company, however you can be granted and extension of stay for being married and this fullfills the "Non-imm requirement" of being issued the WP, dependent on the labour office your dealing with

going this route has abolutely no impact on your tax payable on gross salary payable other than the deduction you can make for being married and having children, and this deductable can be applied to a person even if they are married to a non-Thai with non thai children, so this deduction in income tax is not nationality based.

the 50k thing doesnt reduce as regards tax burden other than the deductions you can make being married with children

Further going the extension via married route requires a certain financial status anyway, if memory serves it either 400k in the bank or THB 45k/m coming in

your posting misinformation and incorrect facts it appears.

There is no minimum salary for a work permit.

To get a multiple entry non-b visa there is also no minimum salary requirement.

The minimum salary requirements are only for an extension of stay based upon working for a company under clause 2.1 of the immigration order.

• Like 2

your current extension will be good until November

and maintaining you extension shouldnt be a problem if you or the company is prepared to pay tax on the amount stated for your nationality ie they have you on the books for say 50k/m pay the tax but in reality you are only drawing 25k in salary in practice this is very workable and in practice nothing changes

Unfortunately the company I work for is very strict with the rules and I don't think they'd agree to paying me different salary than the one stated in the books.

But assuming they would - can I just get another one year extension in the immigration or do I have to leave, get a new non B and only than an extension?

And assuming the wouldn't - what do I do? Leave on November and apply for a new non b, this time multiple entry?

Unfortunately the company I work for is very strict with the rules and I don't think they'd agree to paying me different salary than the one stated in the books.

But assuming they would - can I just get another one year extension in the immigration or do I have to leave, get a new non B and only than an extension?

And assuming the wouldn't - what do I do? Leave on November and apply for a new non b, this time multiple entry?

if the company goes for it, seeing as you are already on an extension of stay, all you do is extend the extension for another year, new mutiple re-entry permit in your PP, dont need to leave the country.

if they wont, come end of Nov, your extension expires, so would suspect you need to leave Thailand and get a new visa, however you might have a problem getting a mutiple entry B visa "locally" in SEA a lot of places will only hand out a single

the best way for all parties IMHO is to pay the tax and get the extension done

if the company goes for it, seeing as you are already on an extension of stay, all you do is extend the extension for another year, new mutiple re-entry permit in your PP, dont need to leave the country.

if they wont, come end of Nov, your extension expires, so would suspect you need to leave Thailand and get a new visa, however you might have a problem getting a mutiple entry B visa "locally" in SEA a lot of places will only hand out a single

Well, not having to leave the country and bothering with a new visa would make me very happy in deed. The minimum salary for one year extension for my nationality is just 35.000 baht. What is the difference in taxes between 35.000 and 25.000 monthly salary?

From the 10 th of July 2004 , foreigners applying for non-immigrant visa extensions for employment in Thailand will have to meet an increased minimum monthly salary requirement by nationality and amount. It should be noted that this regulation applies to employees in the corporate sector (profit-making business). Employees with lower monthly salaries in other professions, such as teachers, can apply for non-immigrant visa extensions and work permits for employment in Thailand provided that the are able to provide an official letter of confirmation from a relevant government agency.

"No minimum for WP but there is a minimum in tax that you must pay in order to renew the WP and/or get an extension of stay."

More incorrect information.

Depending on your situation, there might not be any tax due.

n As long as you file, the amount you pay is not important when applying for WP or extensions.

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, the company didn't go for this one saying it's illegal and they do everything by the law.... Which leaves me I don't know where. When doe's my one year extension od stay stops being valid? The moment I sign a new contract with lower salary or do I get to stay till the actual extension expires, in November?

The plot thickens,

I was offered another job that I could perform while keeping my current job. The new job pays enough for me to get a one year permit to stay.

From what I understand from a quick search of TV archives I could have two work permits/two jobs in one work permit. How would I have to proceed to have it done and secure a one year extension of permit to stay?

cheers,

The plot thickens, I was offered another job that I could perform while keeping my current job. The new job pays enough for me to get a one year permit to stay. From what I understand from a quick search of TV archives I could have two work permits/two jobs in one work permit. How would I have to proceed to have it done and secure a one year extension of permit to stay? cheers,

You get the job, get the work permit, get paid and have company and your salary and tax paperwork. With all that you apply for the extension of stay.

You can have two jonbs, but your first employer must agree to it before the labour office will allow it. So first step is getting permission from your current employer and then apply to have the new employer added at the labour office.

The plot thickens, I was offered another job that I could perform while keeping my current job. The new job pays enough for me to get a one year permit to stay. From what I understand from a quick search of TV archives I could have two work permits/two jobs in one work permit. How would I have to proceed to have it done and secure a one year extension of permit to stay? cheers,

Yes as Mario posted, you can have two different employers in the same WP. but both companies must fully agree to this arrangement and sign accordingly.

In my area, (Phuket) this can be done, but they will not then allow you to subsequently remove the first entry in the WP ('primary employer') and retain the second: you have to cancel the WP and re-apply for the second.

Plus extensions require two sets of paper work from both companies, plus tax/social are a nightmare.

All in all not fun and certainly not the recipe for a 'painless' transition between two companies.