Which type of account at Bangkok Bank for tourist

Would appreciate some advice here please. Is it possible to setup an account with Bangkok Bank while I am not in Thailand? Do they allow customers from offshore to have an account? If yes, what is the best type of account where I just want to be able to transfer some funds to that account and use on my next holiday in Jan-15 and avoid the 180b ATM fee. Or is it best to set this up while I am over there next time?

I am both AUS/UK citizen and there is no branch of BB in my country (Australia).

• Like 1

As far as I know you must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch (or any Thai bank branch) to open an account...they have forms for you to complete & sign, they make copies of your passport, etc. You would want to open a regular savings account which comes with a debit card if desired. And don't be surprised if the branch says no to a new account if not having a long term type visa/extension of stay...if that branch turns you down just go to the next branch and give it a try.

Edited by Pib

I recently opened a BB account and during the discussion they mentioned that you cannot open an account on a tourist visa. Paying 180 TBaht per transaction is the least of your problems, check you home bank for their charges and the exchange rate where they also make money on your transfer. No easy way around the problem, but consider travelers checks, they normally offer a better rate.

As far as I know you must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch (or any Thai bank branch) to open an account...they have forms for you to complete & sign, they make copies of your passport, etc. You would want to open a regular savings account which comes with a debit card if desired. And don't be surprised if the branch says no to a new account if not having a long term type visa/extension of stay...if that branch turns you down just go to the next branch and give it a try.

many thanks will do

I recently opened a BB account and during the discussion they mentioned that you cannot open an account on a tourist visa. Paying 180 TBaht per transaction is the least of your problems, check you home bank for their charges and the exchange rate where they also make money on your transfer. No easy way around the problem, but consider travelers checks, they normally offer a better rate.

thanks for that my home bank is a credit union and because I have my home loan with them no fees on international ATM and rate is interbank so lucky in that respect but will consider TC's thanks

many thanks will do

One more thing, if Bangkok Bank turns you down after visiting a couple of their branches, try Kaiskorn Bank or Krungsri Bank or SCB or.....

Now I'm with Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank (Krungsri very recently due to a special savings product they have)...and for me as an American the ability to transfer funds to my Bangkok Bank accounts via "ACH" which is a cheap, low cost method to transfer funds within the U.S....since Bangkok Bank has a New York branch which interconnects to Bangkok Bank Thailand branches for funds transfer purposes, the transfer method provides a cheap way to transfer funds....much cheaper than SWIFT. They have similar capability in other countries, like the UK, but it's not as cheap as the U.S. ACH method and maybe not much better than average SWIFT costs---all depends on what your home country bank charges for sending via SWIFT. Also the detail of banking information on the Bangkok Bank website, in English and Thai, does not even have a close competitor in the other Thai banks....the amount of English info on other Thai banks website pails in comparison to Bangkok Bank...and I think that is important for information and ease of mind purposes because communications in Thailand can be challenge. The amount of banking info on the Bangkok Bank website is probably greater and better than many western banks.

Bangkok Bank has been good to me over the years...no real issues with them after many years. And so far the Krungsri Mee Tai Dai savings account that pays twice the interest rate (1%) of a typical Thai bank savings account (0.5% right now) for amounts under Bt100K and 2.3% for Bt100K to Bt10M amounts, allows two free ATM withdrawals per month....third and up cost Bt50, you can get ibanking, etc. I got this account just to diversify a little bit from Bangkok Bank regular and fixed savings accounts and be able to draw 2.3% interest with the ability to withdraw funds without impacting/whacking the interest earned to date. Now, you may not find much English speaking capability at Krungsri branches...if you want some English speaking capability your chances go up by visiting branches which have a lot of farangs in the area. Good luck.

• Like 1

I have been here 9 years. I'm a U.S. citizen.

When I first came the only bank that would open an account with a tourist visa was Kasikorn Bank.

After a few months and a history I opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank and then Siam Bank.

I was in Kasikorn Bank last week and asked them if they would open a savings account for a friend who was a tourist and they said no.

I have a retirement visa and some banks will not open a new account for me now even when I showed them a history over 9 years with three banks, a ATM card with all banks and a credit card with Bangkok Bank, along with my original passport.

I have learned that nothing is set in stone here. One day they say no, the next day they say yes. Lately, I noticed a large employee turnover at all my banks.

Hang a carrot in front of them and tell them you plan on securing a long stay O visa, and want to move money into Thailand. Don't mention too much as that could be a red flag. If you hit up enough banks, chances are one will sign you up. You might have better luck in the Nana area especially with finding bank employees that speak English. I'm finding banks have less and less employees that speak English. They have more tourists traffic there.

Don't go in with shorts and a T shirt. Wear dress pants and a dress shirt as appearance is important initially. Same goes for Immigration and any Government office.

I should add that I've never had a problem with a Thai bank in 9 years and my U.S. Banks, except one, are nothing but problems now.

Keep in mind if you are moving large sums of money in Thailand, check several bank exchange rates in their websites as few go by what some on line exchange quotes say. I find Kasikorn Bank generally gives me the best rate for wiring US$ into Thailand. Also, when you leave, there are limits on what you can carry out, and limits what you can wire out. Be aware that Bangkok bank's currency exchange wiring rates are different than their counter exchange rates. They are less! At least when I was there twice last month. Also, they have a bank in N.Y. so that is an option to save some money on wires to Thailand.

If you take out a Bangkok credit card you have to fund the account and don't put too much in as I was recently quoted it takes 4 months to get your money out of that funded account!

Also, I can use my Thai ATM cards worldwide, however, I had Siam once deactivate the card just before my tourist visa expired. I surprised them when I did a visa run and went in to activate it.

• Like 1

Some years ago I opened a savings account at CIMB Thai whilst on a 30 days visa exempt stay. No issues whatsoever, but on the other hand I have a CIMB Preferred status account in Malaysia so I was ushered into a nice room with plush sofas and was offered coffee and cookies while they took care of all the paperworks. After a while they came back with a debit card and some papers to sign and it was done. Definitely a pleasant experience, I wish all my dealings with banks and official entities was like this. :-)

When I first came the only bank that would open an account with a tourist visa was Kasikorn Bank.

After a few months and a history I opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank and then Siam Bank.

I was in Kasikorn Bank last week and asked them if they would open a savings account for a friend who was a tourist and they said no.

I have a retirement visa and some banks will not open a new account for me now even when I showed them a history over 9 years with three banks, a ATM card with all banks and a credit card with Bangkok Bank, along with my original passport.

I have learned that nothing is set in stone here. One day they say no, the next day they say yes. Lately, I noticed a large employee turnover at all my banks.

Hang a carrot in front of them and tell them you plan on securing a long stay O visa, and want to move money into Thailand. Don't mention too much as that could be a red flag. If you hit up enough banks, chances are one will sign you up. You might have better luck in the Nana area especially with finding bank employees that speak English. I'm finding banks have less and less employees that speak English. They have more tourists traffic there.

Don't go in with shorts and a T shirt. Wear dress pants and a dress shirt as appearance is important initially. Same goes for Immigration and any Government office.

I should add that I've never had a problem with a Thai bank in 9 years and my U.S. Banks, except one, are nothing but problems now.

Keep in mind if you are moving large sums of money in Thailand, check several bank exchange rates in their websites as few go by what some on line exchange quotes say. I find Kasikorn Bank generally gives me the best rate for wiring US$ into Thailand. Also, when you leave, there are limits on what you can carry out, and limits what you can wire out. Be aware that Bangkok bank's currency exchange wiring rates are different than their counter exchange rates. They are less! At least when I was there twice last month. Also, they have a bank in N.Y. so that is an option to save some money on wires to Thailand.

If you take out a Bangkok credit card you have to fund the account and don't put too much in as I was recently quoted it takes 4 months to get your money out of that funded account!

Also, I can use my Thai ATM cards worldwide, however, I had Siam once deactivate the card just before my tourist visa expired. I surprised them when I did a visa run and went in to activate it.

Went to Siam and Krungthai yesterday.Siam was a flat no and Krungthai said i could have an account with no interest,how generous.Luckily next door is Bangkok bank and have been with them for decades,good service all the time,Kasikorn,ok too.

Find out how much money you can bring in cash, the USA you can bring $20,000 then deposit it in a Bangkok bank savings account, you can get an ATM debit card to use

You have to be present at a Thai bank to open account .

Go to Super Rich 1st,1/2 baht more,then walk 30 metres into BB.

"I have been here 9 years. I'm a U.S. citizen.

When I first came the only bank that would open an account with a tourist visa was Kasikorn Bank."

Most banks will open an account with a tourist visa or even a visa exempt entry. You may have to try several branches and in particular try branches in areas where there is a fairly large farang population in residence.

I'm an American who opened an account at Bangkok Bank something like 18 years ago when I would have been here on a visa exempt entry or tourist visa.

I transferred the money from the US for my condo purchase here to my branch and then the manager transferred the required amount to the condo seller, all while I was staying & working in the UAE. No glitches. No problems.

I've been making deposits to my Bangkok Bank account via the New York branch for many years, the last 8 years doing it at least quarterly, sometimes monthly.

Never had a problem with counter staff at the branch. Never had a problem getting bank manager's letter for annual extension of stay. Never had a problem transferring money via the New York branch of the bank. I

There seems to be a lot of moaning about dealing with banks in Thailand, but I can't understand why. I think some people make problems for themselves (and probably convince bank managers to avoid farang when possible because of the hassle they cause).

Hang a carrot in front of them and tell them you plan on securing a long stay O visa, and want to move money into Thailand.

I'm sure some bank teller will be overwhelmed by this strategy and thrilled that you want to bring money to Thailand. Get real. Neither you nor your money are that big a deal. Ask to open an account and try to act normally.

I seriously wonder if this is the first time some people have lived away from mom & dad.

Edited by Suradit69

I had lately the experiance with a friend of mine who wanted to open a bank account on a tourist visa: It's not possible!

so i opened an account for him on may name and as he has the debit card he can alwways get his money!

I have 2 accounts with BK bank,

got it with EXTENSION STAMP ONLY;

BUT THEY NEED PROOF OF ADRESS BY.

PROOOF OF ADRESS IN HOME COUNTRY BY EMBASSY;

OR 2 DOCUMENTS SHOWING SAME ADRESS;

they said PP and DL is ok;

A similar answer I got in another bank branch in Sathorn road;

Propably you will not get it in a small town, where they not work ususally with farongs;

Be aware that Bangkok bank's currency exchange wiring rates are different than their counter exchange rates. They are less! At least when I was there twice last month.

Bangkok Bank exchange rates for foreign currency arriving via SWIFT/ACH/wire (i.e., TT Buying Rate) is higher than the counter rate. A Thai bank "TT Buying Rate" is always higher than their Notes rates...higher than any of their other rates such as the Sight Bill/Travelers Cheques/etc.

By counter rate I'm assuming you mean walking into a bank and converting cash or possibly using your debit/credit card to get cash at a counter. As already mentioned, the exchange rate for cash/notes is the lowest among the various rates offered at a bank...such as lower than the Travelers Cheque rate however a travelers cheques also incurs a Bt153/cheque fee (use to be Bt33/cheque until early this year) which really takes a big bite of your money unless you have large denomination cheques say $500 or more. If using a debit/credit card to do a counter withdrawal you will get the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang of the TT Buying Rate...but don't forget any foreign transaction fee your "card-issuing" bank may apply...a 1 to 3% fee seems to be common...but that is charged by your card-issuing bank and not by the Thai bank. A person having a no foreign transaction fee debit/credit card can basically get money instantly in hand with no fee and at the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate which is very close (sometimes better) than the TT Buying Rate. Thai banks do not charge a foreign card fee when doing a counter withdrawal like their ATMs do...but all branches may not accomplish a counter withdrawal especially if its a micro-branch in a mall or the amount requested is equal to or less than what their ATM would issue if using the card...the branch will just point you to their ATM to use....ATMs are limited to Bt20K to Bt30K withdrawals if your card allows that much each day. Thai Military Bank (TMB) and Krungsri Bank allow Bt30K per withdrawal...TMB charges a Bt150 fee and Krungsri Bt180.

And always let the Thai bank accomplish the currency conversion if wiring money; DO NOT allow your home country Sending bank to accomplish the conversion as you will sure get 1 to 3% less due to the low exchange rate foreign banks provide for baht...the baht is not a major world currency and has a lower value outside of Thailand. Plus there will probably be some wiring Sending/Receiving fees to consider as that effectively lowers your exchange rate. The Thai bank TT Buying Rate is about the best exchange rate the common man can get barring carrying over a wad of cash and possibly have a SuperRich to exchange it at...but SuperRich locations are very limited across the country...they are only at a couple of locations where tourists are a dime a dozen.

Edited by Pib

whistling.gif I opened my first Bangkok Bank account in 1990 as a tourist at the branch on Soi 43 Sukhumvit Road.

I had a tourist visa and it was a joint account with my Thai girlfriend.

They probably won't do that today, when I retired in 2010 I opened an account in my name for my retirement funds and they insisted I must have a Non O visa (which I did then).

But in 1990, it was possible to walk into a Bangkok Bank with cash in hand and open an account immediately.

At that time I also deposited for collection a paper CHECK for collection drawn on a U.S. bank. It took 45 days to process for collection from my U.S. bank account.

You can't do that today, I don't think they have even SEEN a paper U.S. bank check deposited for collection these days.

But yes, you need to open an account in Thailand in person.

And, if you can open a bank account, they will give you an ATM/debit card on the account that is useable in the bank ATMs in Thailand with no fee for each transaction at that bank as well as outside the country (depending on bank) in nearby Southeast Asia countries.

My Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card is also useable in Malaysia and Vietnam (maybe other countries, but I haven't tried personally). Of course there is a small fee if you use that card in a banks ATM that is not the Bangkok Bank.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You are a tourist and stay about 1 month? How much do you spend a week? An ATM will give 15,000 or 20,000 max. With 4 withdraws it will cost you 720 baht. Hardly worthwhile to spend the time to open a bank account. If you can afford to spend more a month even more reason not to spend time to do boring things to save a 180 baht.

Just carry about 20,000 baht in Australian notes for the first days and exchange those in the city, not at the airport! You can take more cash with you of course, but I personally don't like the risk to get pick pocketed or robbed and loose it all to save 180 baht ATM costs.

BTW the bank transfer fees for wiring money from Australia to Thailand will exceed the ATM withdraw costs.

Edited by Paul944

Some good answers here. Bangkok Bank always works for me. They have a branch in London and you do a domestic transfer from your UK bank to BBK's UK Branch in London for any residents reading this stuff. Not expensive. Remember always deal in your home currency and it gets converted on arrival here. Best for charges..

One poster mentioned Travellers Cheques, these are fast fading out and hardly anyone need use this method now.

well i did open a bbk bank account on a tourist visa. and i agree they might say no on one day as they did me. my next trip in a few days they did open for me. but said no to my wife. but a week later they said yes to her as well. the only thing i dont like is that a bbk debt card might not work on certain on line sites as well at other atms that are not bbk . and if you are out of area they charge you 10 b even if you use there atms.

reminds me of back in the 90's in usa so if any one know's a bank here that you can use any atm would be great to know. i keep money in my us account so i can go any where in the world and use good old citi bank just in case

whistling.gif I opened my first Bangkok Bank account in 1990 as a tourist at the branch on Soi 43 Sukhumvit Road.

They probably won't do that today, when I retired in 2010 I opened an account in my name for my retirement funds and they insisted I must have a Non O visa (which I did then).

But in 1990, it was possible to walk into a Bangkok Bank with cash in hand and open an account immediately.

At that time I also deposited for collection a paper CHECK for collection drawn on a U.S. bank. It took 45 days to process for collection from my U.S. bank account.

You can't do that today, I don't think they have even SEEN a paper U.S. bank check deposited for collection these days.

And, if you can open a bank account, they will give you an ATM/debit card on the account that is useable in the bank ATMs in Thailand with no fee for each transaction at that bank as well as outside the country (depending on bank) in nearby Southeast Asia countries.

My Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card is also useable in Malaysia and Vietnam (maybe other countries, but I haven't tried personally). Of course there is a small fee if you use that card in a banks ATM that is not the Bangkok Bank.

i think that has changed i did try to use my bbk debt card at another atm's here not one would work except bbk atm

I was told by Bangkok bank I could open an account on a tourist visa.

Thai banks now charge 150B per Check to cash. I still like then as far as safety.

A little information, I hope this helps.

First time in Thailand, intend to get an ED Visa soon but I am currently on my 3rd week of a tourist visa. Last week I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account near Siam. However, I went with a Thai friend and the banker spoke to my Thai friend most of the time. They did take photo copies of my passport and US ID card.

thanks for that my home bank is a credit union and because I have my home loan with them no fees on international ATM and rate is interbank so lucky in that respect but will consider TC's thanks

traveller cheques are the dinosaurs of all financial instruments saai.gif

i think that has changed i did try to use my bbk debt card at another atm's here not one would work except bbk atm

You most likely have the Bangkok Bank Be1st "Smart" debit card...that is, a debit card with a "chip" on it versus a magnetic strip on regular Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card. Well, I think the Smart/Chipped card also has a magnetic strip on it, but for ATM withdrawal purposes the card is setup to only use the "chip" portion; not the magnetic strip.

The "chipped" card can only be used in ATM that have EMV-chip reading capability...basically only Bangkok Bank ATMs have this capability in Thailand...all other Thai banks are still thinking about it...talking about upgrading their ATMs...slow leaking the upgrade process although the Bank of Thailand is gently pushing the banks in that direction.

If you have a Bangkok Bank Be1st card (magnetic strip only, no chip) it can be used in all Thai bank/AEON ATMs. You can get get either or both of the Bangkok Bank debit cards if desired, but then you pay two annual card fees...Bt200/yr for the regular card and Bt300/year for the chipped card.

180baht is £3.50ish - stop being so tight !

Just draw out the max each time

Banksters wish all their customers thought this way.

Why ?

Makes implementing high or higher fees easy as the customers feel the fee is a fair price or not willingly to attempt lower price methods.

Edited by Pib