Over 100 investigators involved in probe of Koh Tao tourists' murder

webfact

Obviously pressure from above is not being put on the local cops there. Perhaps a reshuffle for some of the local constabulary down there is in order. Perhaps the threat of a stint in Nakorn Nowhere might spur them into action. Tourist areas always seem to attract crime, mafia and corrupt law enforcement. These places with many international tourists should require international standards in entertainment management and law enforcement. Now we can see the effects of inept and corrupt police and how they have handled this situation. The overall feeling I get is that, 'this will blow over, and the tourists will return", attitude among Thais.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why only negative responses? Personally, I think there is a hell of a lot more police work being done than is publicised and instead of being so critical, why not let the police/investigators do their job and if anything, be positive. So, unless any of you 'nay' sayers know exactly what is going on behind the scenes, would it not be best to keep quiet about it?

Exactly my thoughts, people here are just sooooo negative man.

The General is talking to the police every day on the phone which means he wants the son of bitches that did this. I am sure they gonna get them.

Strangely, I'm leaning to that idea. The cops are in a double-bind. Firstly, they're catering to the Thai mentality first, and only secondarily to the farang mentality. Thais want stories, every day - as it fuels the rumor mills and makes life more interesting. Farang (at least mature ones), would rather have one smart person in charge, who disseminates very little hard info on an on-going investigation, and instead keeps his cards close to his chest.

It's a learning process for Thais, because down deep they know the farang investigative method is better, and it gives less clues for the bad guys to use to evade capture and/or avoid giving incriminating evidence. Give them some slack to learn. They'll probably, as they say, get the culprits. In future, they'll be more responsible about allowing any cop to disseminate any info to the public.

• Like 1

Deary me.

So as it stands the low life mafia on the tiny island community of Koh Tao have completely got the entire Thai police force in their pockets. Maybe we under estimated the power of these families of speedboat operators.

Thailand, hang your head in shame.

The situation in KT is not just speed boat mafia or other small hustles, I would compare it to early Las Vegas, all aspects of the dive resort, tourist business. This incident is bad for business, solving the case is not an option as it would potentially expose family secrets. Better to keep everyone that knows anything quiet through loyalty and or fear keeping in mind this incident is not a "normal" bit of business related violence. Most island residents probably don't know the details want this to blow over asap so they can return to making a living and for some, a fortune.

Inspector Wallander help! This is the time when they should disregard hierarchy for once and say "what is that thing that we are overlooking. Everybody say something. Even the most junior members." Of course, in order for that sort of attitude to function, it would also take a Swedish boss...

Just a thought!

Perhaps the police are been sent from Bangkok in such numbers as they won't have any previous contact with local influential people. This makes it a good move. Of course the skeptics here will say that only takes a day or so to change, It remains that they really do have to catch the killers as if they don't they can do it again. The world is watching there will be no scapegoat this time.

Triplebank999, on 23 Sept 2014 - 11:56, said:
taony, on 23 Sept 2014 - 08:16, said:

more than 100 jerks sitting around a conference table waiting for DNA results to tell them the answer and make it easy. Get out and investigate you fools!!

There's an analogy between your post and "100 jerks" and "fools" sitting behind their computer keyboards making ridiculously inaccurate assertions.

Please, feel free to enlighten us with your words/thoughts of wisdom. It appear a lot of the world is scratching its head, so please help us to understand.

guzzi850m2, on 23 Sept 2014 - 12:01, said:
South, on 23 Sept 2014 - 09:06, said:

Why only negative responses? Personally, I think there is a hell of a lot more police work being done than is publicised and instead of being so critical, why not let the police/investigators do their job and if anything, be positive. So, unless any of you 'nay' sayers know exactly what is going on behind the scenes, would it not be best to keep quiet about it?

Exactly my thoughts, people here are just sooooo negative man.

The General is talking to the police every day on the phone which means he wants the son of bitches that did this.

I am sure they gonna get them.

I guess you have some inside intelligence to know the general is on the phone every day. Even if you are right, the reason would be to try and regain some "face" after last weeks foot in the mouth comment and the failure of his, read Thailand's, police to effectively investigate.

Something similar happened to friend except he died in custody. But since Thai's have such strong beliefs in Ghosts and stuff he cursed Thailand before he died. now it gas come to pass. Tourism will come to a halt The UK will Boot out The Thai embassy one and all. Will return all students refuse Visa's to or from Thailand Stop all Investments. This alone will send Thailand into tail spin.

Let us not discuss people.

Enough is said about events.

Think of the concepts and ideas.

Quantity is no substitute for quality.

Police and detective work may be different.

What was the last big argument here on TV about Thai Degrees and their value?

Power of deduction is not growing out of

-repeat what I said;

-memorize and copy this;

-which Police Academy are you from?

-what rank is your father?

-are you politically supportive and reliable?

-do you kiss the right arse to be promoted?

But I am confident that Thai Police will solve the crime and find the culprits to save the face.

Edited by ABCer

I wouldn't be surprised if the police briefing went something like this:

"Right, we all know who did this and we all know that they're not going to take the rap for it, so here's what we're going to do - Sgt Somchai is going to continue coming up with unlikely scenarios and implausible suspects which he will continue to "leak" to the press whenever they get restless and demand answers. On Monday we will review the situation and decide which scenario and which suspects caused the least international outcry when leaked, and the case will be solved.

The rest of you - I have received a tip that somewhere on this island is a food vendor who serves the best kanom jeen this side of Sukhothai. I want to see some good old fashioned police work... go knocking on doors... speak to the locals....grease the right palms if you have to...I want no stone left unturned.... find me that kanom jeen!"

Something similar happened to friend except he died in custody. But since Thai's have such strong beliefs in Ghosts and stuff he cursed Thailand before he died. now it gas come to pass. Tourism will come to a halt The UK will Boot out The Thai embassy one and all. Will return all students refuse Visa's to or from Thailand Stop all Investments. This alone will send Thailand into tail spin.

This is an english speaking forum I presume?

Yet so many posts in this broken english as above?

Are you guys typing with one hand?

What are you doing with that other hand mate?

Exactly!smile.png

[edit: spelled Enlsih wrong lol]

Edited by siambuddy

siambuddy, on 23 Sept 2014 - 14:41, said:
Strangebrew, on 23 Sept 2014 - 13:04, said:

Exactly!smile.png

Um, hate to say this, BUT, your English isn't the best either. Perhaps your "other" hand is also busy.

Give the police time, check DNA are time consuming. If it's a local who done it, then if the DNA not match 100% if example another family member from same DNA three get checked. Then they know pretty much where to look further. More difficult if it's a visitor to the island.

The media write where ever they want to write, I hope they find the guys and in this case they can't lock up anyone who not match the DNA hopefully. I think it's good when media write everything they sniff up, the killers feels maybe more secure. my 2 cent of this horrible crime.

It's a English forum, i'm not smile.png

Edited by Silents
  • Like 1

And the farce goes on.100 extra personnel, indeed one can just visualize the competition twixt the characters involved and the total destruction of evidence and leads in their attempts at self promotion by these ''chocolate teapot characters'' in the Police farce force.

Chocolate_Teapot_03_by_InfiniteDream.jpg

I thought it was a turd with a cherry on top.

the very first press release stated that they had closed all the piers and no boats were permitted to leave

I know everyone has a short attention span, or may have missed that, in their attempt to belittle the Thai investigators

It was also reported that all the ferries were running as normal that day. Just because the police request the island be sealed do you really believe the Thais would pay any attention?

Exactly!smile.png

This is a forum where we use the English language, No speaking is involved. Many posters on here do not claim English as their first language. I do, but cannot write Thai, Chinese, German or Swedish, but I knew full well what Strangebrew was getting at in his post. Whether he is a native speaker or not is irrelevant.

Seeing as this is your first post, perhaps you can be forgiven for putting on your ajaarns hat at such an early stage. BTW english is spelled with a capital E.rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

^^@Jabis. Not true of the UK, 18-20. There are 'whole life term' sentences which are being used more these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/feb/18/whole-life-sentences-can-continue-appeal-court-rules

Should have read more careful about UK surely but it would seem as follows; England and Wales have the 'whole life tariff', but Scotland does not, and per (Northern) Ireland - no Idea, but basically judge has the call regarding the sentencing - and that of 18-20 were the regular lengths reported.

What a load of rubbish, before you press the 'add reply' button please read what you have wrote, 'strangebrew' think you may have been on the 'homebrew'

^^@Jabis. Not true of the UK, 18-20. There are 'whole life term' sentences which are being used more these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/feb/18/whole-life-sentences-can-continue-appeal-court-rules

Should have read more careful about UK surely but it would seem as follows; England and Wales have the 'whole life tariff', but Scotland does not, and per (Northern) Ireland - no Idea, but basically judge has the call regarding the sentencing - and that of 18-20 were the regular lengths reported.

Judges aren't scared of handing down whole life these days.