Stopped and searched for no reason (other than being a farang maybe?)

marinpa

Hello,

47 years old guy, obviously white, obviously sober, clean cut short hair trim, freshly shaved, jeans, plain black tshirt, leather shoes, walking on the street, little after 0100 hrs, I got stopped by two cops on the scooter. Asked passport, started to take everything out of my pockets, checked all three pockets of my belt pouch. Took my phone out asked me to open it.

I asked what is the reason the stopped me and searched and the answer was: "Because I don't know who you are. I am the Police and I can do whatever I want, I can even take you to the station".

"Where are you from and what are you doing in Thailand?"

I tried to answer as calmly as possible, as neutral as possible.

I am on the business visa and now they are asking me about the nature of my business. Where is my hotel and how much I pay per day.

Eventually they returned everything to me and they let me go

We part ways, not before making note the unit number displayed on the scooter's plexiglass wind protector

However, I understand that the Police are in their rights to do so.....

• Like 1

Yeah I watched them doing sweeps in Bangkrak last month..2 guys on a scooter stopping farangs. They seem to have calmed down there and it was mostly aimed at scooter riders. I haven't seen them recently but they seemed to be pretty non aggressive. Non the less nobody is comfortable being randomly stopped.

They may well have had a legitimate reason, but didn't tell you. My god-daughter and I were stopped by a police officer basically at gunpoint under an overpass near the Bangkok Mission Hospital last year. Little did we realise that a convoy carrying Her Royal Highness Ubolratana Rajakanya was approaching. We were just taking a short-cut. We raised our arms, and as soon as the convoy passed he smiled and let us on our way.