Chili con carne

MZurf

Try the Moonshine bar/restaurant/hotel, soi 4, Jomtien. It is chili con carne w/ beans, but it is good.......better than the other places that have been mentioned.

I thought it was meh.

The owner asked me if it was OK. I said ... OK.

Just a thought, but for those looking for a spicy pinto bean dish, there are a number of Indian restaurants in town offering good versions of the vegetarian comfort food of the Punjab -- rajmah masala. It reminds me somewhat of chili but yes I've been living in Thailand too long.

I had to look up "meh." No, it is not as good as what I used to make back in the southern States of the USA--I would rather have top quality meat in small chunks instead of ground beef, and I like more authentic spices, but compared to what is being served over here, it is at least OK. Thanks for the suggestion regarding rajmah masala (had to look that up too). That dish does remind me of chili with beans and meat. I will have to try it after the five day traffic jam finally ends and I can actually go from Jomtien to Pattaya.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK as a Brit I had loads of Chili Con Carne as a kid made with mince (ground) beef and kidney beans, then my Aunt married a Hispanic American and I tried his Chili they really are two totally different dishes, both with their own merits. Sorry doesn't help the OP but maybe sheds light on the differing opinions here.

P.S. My Uncles Mexican Chili wins hands down in my opinion but opinions are ...................

So to summarize, the places listed below have all been recommended by one person but have not been seconded by another. Does this mean there's just no good Chili Con Carne to be had in Pattaya?

Jamesons

The Sportsman on Soi 13

Wild Chicken at the second road end of Soi 13/2 (Soi Post Office)

Frasers in Jomtien

Rich Man Poor Man on Jomtien Soi 9

Tequilla Reef

Moonshine bar/restaurant/hotel, soi 4, Jomtien

The Coins

So to summarize, the places listed below have all been recommended by one person but have not been seconded by another. Does this mean there's just no good Chili Con Carne to be had in Pattaya?
Jamesons
The Sportsman on Soi 13
Frasers in Jomtien
Tequilla Reef
The Coins

That's about right,

I just make my own now days , and keep 5 or 6 lots in the deep freezer

Jamesons
The Sportsman on Soi 13
Frasers in Jomtien
Tequilla Reef
The Coins

I would add The Golf Club on LK Metro to your list.

More an American style Chilli, with chunks of beef used rather than minced beef.

I would say this is my favourite in town.

All the mentioned are lame and weak.

no bite in them at all, some are just like soup !!!!!!!!!

no good for me.

if you eat a chili con, your taste buds should know it.

But not in this town.

Anyone know different, would be nice to try ?

• 7 months later...

If you want to make it yourself, I've tried this recipe and it's pretty decent. Serve with a little dollop of Crème fraîche and a sprinkle of chopped chives to finish, along with eg a baked potato:

Edited by katana

• 1 year later...

It's not for me. It's for a friend who has limited mobility. I'm out and around all the time, but do all my shopping in local Thai markets. I haven't set foot in a Tops/Villa Market/Foodland this year before his request. So I'm looking for recommendation which particular market and branch has chili con carne, so I pass there on occasion.

The best chili I have ever had in Thailand is from a small bar in Ban Chang called Beavers. If you get down that way, don't miss it. Don't wait too long because the owner is talking about retiring. I think it is cheese mixed in that makes it very special.

Just now, ChristianPFC said:

It's not for me. It's for a friend who has limited mobility. I'm out and around all the time, but do all my shopping in local Thai markets. I haven't set foot in a Tops/Villa Market/Foodland this year before his request. So I'm looking for recommendation which particular market and branch has chili con carne, so I pass there on occasion.

Ok understood.

I have seen CCC and other ready cooked foods..even bbq pork rib rack..in the TOPs branch, chaengwattana (dowstairs)

Also i think you can buy online and get delivery at Paleo Robbie but would be expensive.

What area this guy live in? 

13 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The best chili I have ever had in Thailand is from a small bar in Ban Chang called Beavers. If you get down that way, don't miss it. Don't wait too long because the owner is talking about retiring. I think it is cheese mixed in that makes it very special.

There's something else that's quite good at Beavers in Ban Chang but it escapes me at the moment...

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's something else that's quite good at Beavers in Ban Chang but it escapes me at the moment...

There are some other very good things on the strip, but you won't find them at Beavers. The beef stew is also very good at Beavers.

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Villa Markets?

Foodland?

I don't think Foodland has it, at least, not the ones along Sukhumvit Rd in BKK. They typically have S&W chili beans in sauce, but not canned chili.

Villa has had canned Hormel chili, usually with beans. But whether they actually have any in stock is always a c**p shoot, as it tends to sell out, along with most similar kinds of things they carry.

BTW, I've never understood the big fuss about beans or no beans in chili.

I've had both, I like both. I can eat both, no problem. I don't care about the historical origins of the dish, just how it tastes.

If, as is often the case, the party making the chili is using ground beef, then the beans (pinto or kidney) add a bit of substance/chewiness to the dish. So it doesn't come out just like a sloppy joe consistency.

But, if the party making the chili is using chunks of steak, then, in that case, I'd probably go without any beans, or at least, a very small portion added, because the steak will provide plenty of texture.

3 hours ago, Gary A said:

There are some other very good things on the strip, but you won't find them at Beavers. The beef stew is also very good at Beavers.

Yes! That's it. The beef stew.

(What on earth did you think I was talking about?)

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, I've never understood the big fuss about beans or no beans in chili.

I've had both, I like both. I can eat both, no problem. I don't care about the historical origins of the dish, just how it tastes.

If, as is often the case, the party making the chili is using ground beef, then the beans (pinto or kidney) add a bit of substance/chewiness to the dish. So it doesn't come out just like a sloppy joe consistency.

But, if the party making the chili is using chunks of steak, then, in that case, I'd probably go without any beans, or at least, a very small portion added, because the steak will provide plenty of texture.

My rule of thumb; Ground chuck? Add beans. Pulled brisket? No beans.

7 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Where in Bangkok can I buy canned chili con carne? There was none in Tops Silom Complex and Tops Robinson Bangrak when I checked this week.

I would even give the canned chilli to my dog.

I made some chilli con carne yesterday. Perhaps you can make some for him. :smile:

IMG-20170527-WA000.jpg