Chili con carne

MZurf

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

I would even give the canned chilli to my dog.

I made some chilli con carne yesterday. Perhaps you can make some for him. :smile:

IMG-20170527-WA000.jpg

Bit of a "dog's dinner" you got there JJ.

Joking... Mrs NL always says that Mexican food lacks in visual presentation rendering it as unappetizing... as she tucks into her snack of toasted bugs and plah kapong.

Edited by NanLaew

No Chili Con Carne in AEON/Maxvalu Harbor Mall Pattaya or Big C Pattaya Glang, but finally found even two brands in Friendship supermarket: Felix (Sweden?) 560 g for 395 THB and Dewhurst (USA?) 390 g for 122 THB.

(One of my rare visits to Pattaya, and passing these places anyway I had a look there, but the hunt in Bangkok continues.)

Just out of curiosity, I checked the other day the online shopping sites for Tops/Central, Tesco, Big C via the HappyFresh site, and HonestBee (a new service that provides Villa Market inventory), and none of them showed any chili / chili con carne available thru their online channels for Bangkok.

But as I mentioned above, at least Villa Markets from time to time have stocked the Hormel chili and beans cans.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

but finally found even two brands in Friendship supermarket: Felix (Sweden?) 560 g for 395 THB and Dewhurst (USA?) 390 g for 122 THB.

I'm not familiar with Dewhurst  as an American brand. But the item itself, when searched online, seems to show up mostly in UK markets.

Some larger Tesco-Lotus branches carry a limited range of products from the UK mother company which includes a pretty good Tesco Chili Sauce in mild and hot varieties. It already has the beans and chili in it so all you need is 500 gr of cooked ground chuck (takes 5 minutes), pour in the jar, simmer for another 10-15 minutes and serve.

Their imported Tesco Fajita and Tesco Enchilada cook-in sauces are pretty decent as well and better than most of the local Mexican restaurants can do.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not familiar with Dewhurst  as an American brand. But the item itself, when searched online, seems to show up mostly in UK markets.

Dewhurst is an English brand. Their canned corned beef (UK style, not NY deli style) is pretty good and I have seen it priced below the other UK corned beef imports at Foodland.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Some larger Tesco-Lotus branches carry a limited range of products from the UK mother company which includes a pretty good Tesco Chili Sauce in mild and hot varieties. It already has the beans and chili in it so all you need is 500 gr of cooked ground chuck (takes 5 minutes), pour in the jar, simmer for another 10-15 minutes and serve.

Their imported Tesco Fajita and Tesco Enchilada cook-in sauces are pretty decent as well and better than most of the local Mexican restaurants can do.

Thanks for posting about those. I'd never seen/found those before either in my online or store shopping at Tesco.

But after your post, I did find them available via Tesco Shop Online in BKK, along with quite a few other related products. Gonna give them a try just to see.

BTW, Tesco is spelling those products with 2 LLs, as in Chilli.  I think when I did an online search with them earlier I searched with 1 L as in Chili, and thus those items didn't turn up. But I also searched just for Hormel, and it definitely was a no-show. (Hormel spells their "chili" with just one L.)

[Never noticed this before, but "chilli" with 2 Ls seems to be the more common spelling in the UK, hence Tesco's use of 2 Ls. But the dish "chili con carne" as the beef stew-type dish is known in the U.S. seems to predominantly be spelled and known with just one L.]

5932aa654ef28_2017-06-0319_17_37.jpg.062fbeb5bf16f95685380b4ebbd3e742.jpg

5932aa667110e_2017-06-0319_18_35.jpg.653fda0f7aa678b8c71c1dc9b3c84547.jpg

5932aa9b868eb_2017-06-0319_06_03.jpg.b49d13d76a4953d9977703ecfcb7df89.jpg

5932aa9c68811_2017-06-0319_06_23.jpg.efad7f991da2fcbf332b0401dde0a19f.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2017 at 7:25 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

5932aa654ef28_2017-06-0319_17_37.jpg.062fbeb5bf16f95685380b4ebbd3e742.jpg

5932aa667110e_2017-06-0319_18_35.jpg.653fda0f7aa678b8c71c1dc9b3c84547.jpg

Just to follow up on this product, I've now ordered and used a couple rounds of the Tesco Hot Chilli Sauce mentioned above (haven't tried or used the Mild variety), and I must say, it provides the foundation for a pretty good tasting chili.

The ingredients list says it contains some beans, but I didn't really find or taste any on my first go-round. So along with one bottle of the Tesco sauce, I added a 15 oz can of S&W chili beans with the sauce drained out (a product that's widely available here), along with a pound of ground steak and a couple of onions diced into larger pieces, and then garlic powder, cumin powder, my own chili powder, etc to taste.

Really comes out quite good. I was cooking the same kind of recipe before using the Mutti brand pureed tomato sauce sold here in jars and cartons, and it kept coming out with too much of a strong and acidic tomato flavor, whereas the Tesco sauce comes out with a much smoother and milder flavor that fits better with the dish.

I always find 2-4 squares of dark chocolate add richer deep flavour to chillis, that or a teaspoon or two of cocoa powder.

Never managed to find the Hormel chilli in any of the Villa, Gourmet or Tops supermarkets.  There was another brand they carried sometimes at Rimping in Chiang Mai, something like 'Amy's' or whatever.  Pretty bland though.  The Hormel was quite handy to keep in as emergency rations but I prefer the DIY version and freeze them.  Can never leave them long enough though.

Edited by SooKee

Robinson Bangrak has the expensive (Felix from Sweden), but my friend says he likes the cheaper Dewhurst better. Last week in Friendship Pattaya, the Dewhurst was sold out.

Yesterday in The Mall Bangkapi Gourmet Market, no chili con carne at all.