An Americans Musings in Thailand

JeffreyO

Hello! I landed about 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying (mostly) my time here. I will be completing my application for my ED visa soon and as such will be here for quite some time. I just made this thread to every now and then drop an interesting tale of things I have noticed that aren't necessarily commonly mentioned or may be so small that they are often overlooked.

I am well traveled, spent 6 years in the US Army, I've been to nearly every continent and yet, it's always amazing how it's not the big changes that make the difference but the small ones.

Musing #1) While eating with my Thai friends, they seem unable to use an individual utensil at a time. If they have a fork in one hand, there's a knife or spoon in the other. They even do this with a spoon and chop sticks. Of course, unless you're serving food in the US or cutting something with a fork and knife, you would never use a fork and a spoon together. It seems to just be the way they've learned. There's nothing wrong with it but it certainly reminds you that you're just 'slightly' different from the people around you.

I wonder what other 'small' and maybe trivial differences you have noticed that aren't mentioned often. (Street carts, bottled water, etc. need not apply. This thread is not for big differences between 1st world and 3rd world countries).

Edited by JeffreyO

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Um....How is the fork and spoon in Thailand any different to the knife and fork in Western countries. It's normal to be holding two utensils while eating a typical meal.

Although I do note that many Americans seem to like to cut up their food into small pieces and then discard their knife. Maybe that's where your comparison is coming from.

Um....How is the fork and spoon in Thailand any different to the knife and fork in Western countries. It's normal to be holding two utensils while eating a typical meal.

Although I do note that many Americans seem to like to cut up their food into small pieces and then discard their knife. Maybe that's where your comparison is coming from.

Americans use a fork and knife only when cutting. For example, when eating a steak. If we are eating pasta we're not scooping it into a spoon using a fork and then eating it from a fork.

Nor do we use a fork and chop sticks to gather noodles or rice. The special lady friend was using a fork and spoon last night to eat rice, which I found particularly interesting.

"you would never use a fork and a spoon together."

Wrong OP, I always use a spoon and a fork together when I'm eating my spaghetti.

But again ............I'm Greek.........

In every country people have their own habits and ways they learned as they were growing up.

Just observe and make notes, probably many of our habits look funny and strange to the Thais.

Yes, I am well aware that all cultures are different and I didn't say one was better, I'm just asking what those small differences are for you.

My second, third and fourth musing.

People trying to get my attention at every store, restaurant, anything I walk past. Even fine dining restaurants they greet you as you just walk past. This I found to actually annoy me.

Once in some of these restaurants, it is not uncommon for the server to 'hover' waiting for you to order, which makes me feel forced.

Buffets have time limits. What gives!? I've been to many buffets in America, including very trendy upscale buffets in Las Vegas and yet, never faced a time limit. this makes me feel a little rushed.

Americans use a fork and knife only when cutting. For example, when eating a steak. If we are eating pasta we're not scooping it into a spoon using a fork and then eating it from a fork.

Nor do we use a fork and chop sticks to gather noodles or rice. The special lady friend was using a fork and spoon last night to eat rice, which I found particularly interesting.

Whereas in most other English and Western cultures, we hold a knife and fork all the time while eating a typical meal and cutting the portion you are about to eat. Have you not seen this happen in your travels?

The Thais think it's funny when they see a westerner eating Thai food with only a fork - especially rice.

It's just cultural differences. Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis would never think of cutting up a steak into small pieces before eating it as the Americans do.

Again, I'm not trying to compare one culture to another. I'm just asking what are the things that you noticed that are slightly different to your own.

Why so many take someone as saying "This is different than what I'm accustomed to" as being "This is wrong and I'm right"?

Again, I'm not saying that it should be like America. This was meant to be an entertaining thread but if you intend to troll it, I would respectfully ask you don't post on it.

If you are not saying it should be like home, then I would respectfully ask you to refrain from editorializing your musings.

...in the US... you would never use a fork and a spoon together.

This I found to actually annoy me

..which makes me feel forced.

...this makes me feel a little rushed.

Edited by mikebike

Yes, I am well aware that all cultures are different and I didn't say one was better, I'm just asking what those small differences are for you.

People trying to get my attention at every store, restaurant, anything I walk past. Even fine dining restaurants they greet you as you just walk past. This I found to actually annoy me.

Once in some of these restaurants, it is not uncommon for the server to 'hover' waiting for you to order, which makes me feel forced.

Buffets have time limits. What gives!? I've been to many buffets in America, including very trendy upscale buffets in Las Vegas and yet, never faced a time limit. this makes me feel a little rushed.

In Thailand you'll be asked to enter the restaurant or purchase goods from hawkers of every possible item and in every possible location - from restaurants, shops, street hawkers, and even outside top quality stores in shopping malls. We can either just ignore them, say no thankyou, or stop to check the menu or goods.

The servers hover awaiting your drinks order which they will get for you and allow you time to peruse the menu, or to be told to come back in 5 minutes. Typically, most Thai shops and restaurants are overstaffed compared to western equivalents, so it's not uncommon to have them over attend you in some situations.

Have you noticed that when you check bin, they bring back the folder of change and will wait. It's so you can verify that your change is correct, although some will say that they're waiting for their tip. If there is a dispute over the change and they didn't wait for you to check it in front of them, problems will invariably arise.

• Like 1

Again, I'm not saying that it should be like America. This was meant to be an entertaining thread but if you intend to troll it, I would respectfully ask you don't post on it.

If you are not saying it should be like home, then I would respectfully ask you to refrain from editorializing your musings.

...in the US... you would never use a fork and a spoon together.

This I found to actually annoy m

..which makes me feel forced.

...this makes me feel a little rushed.

Your first comment makes no sense.

Regarding the second, yes. I have some complaints. Am i not allowed to express these? Perhaps you've dealt with people insulting Thailand too much (which I have noticed a frequent event on these forums) and as such you can't take any negativity without assuming it's an overwhelming expression of discontent.

In Thailand you'll be asked to enter the restaurant or purchase goods from hawkers of every possible item and in every possible location - from restaurants, shops, street hawkers, and even outside top quality stores in shopping malls. We can either just ignore them, say no thankyou, or stop to check the menu or goods.

The servers hover awaiting your drinks order which they will get for you and allow you time to peruse the menu, or to be told to come back in 5 minutes. Typically, most Thai shops and restaurants are overstaffed compared to western equivalents, so it's not uncommon to have them over attend you in some situations.

Have you noticed that when you check bin, they bring back the folder of change and will wait. It's so you can verify that your change is correct, although some will say that they're waiting for their tip. If there is a dispute over the change and they didn't wait for you to check it in front of them, problems will invariably arise.

There are certainly benefits to these things but it will take some time to become accommodated.

There are certainly benefits to these things but it will take some time to become accommodated.

Just roll with the punches. I frequently have a fried egg with rice for breakfast (eaten with a fork and spoon) and would never do that at home. You soon learn that if you don't want a typical crozzled Thai fried egg, that you ask for "kai dow mai suk" - fried egg not well done". Or a recent trend is "kai dow falang" - you gotta love 'em.

Or when you order an English breakfast and specify that you want marmalade for your toast and not jam, don't be surprised when the meal arrives with jam (oh well), and then two minutes later they also bring you an omelette. Marmalade sounds a bit like omelette to the Thai ear. Or I once ordered water in Thai, and got a bottle of fish sauce - naam pblaou v. naam pblaa.

These are the things that make every day here enjoyable.

Are you in Pattaya? Please note that Pattaya is nothing like the rest of Thailand. And Thais who spend a lot of time amongst tourists/foreigners are nothing like normal Thais. Especially the women.

• Like 1

The waiter hovering to me is a good thing. In the US the servers are usually busy and hard to get to come to your table. If you are not immediately ready to order they run away. In Thailand they are perfectly happy to wait for you as long as you need. They are not trying to rush you, so relax and take your time.

Buffets have time limits because this is Asia and if they didn't some people would never leave. The buffets here are upscale and expensive so they have to watch their costs. The ones in Vegas can afford to let you stay as long as you like because they are EXPENSIVE.

is this thread for real, or just a wind up?

I think more of an accidental troll. He's still in the, "I'm a lumberjack" phase of his Thai experiences which makes him see Thai people as different than him rather than he is different from Thai people and in fact different than most people on Thai Visa. He doesn't know that he eats funny.

A better question would be, "since coming to Thailand I notice I'm goofy. I eat funny when compared to everyone else in the restaurant; different than Thais or Europeans and even Canadians! Does anyone else feel goofy since coming to Thailand?"

Actually, I never said that Thai's were goofy. I simply stated that I am curious what differences from individuals own cultures they saw.

One culture is no more 'goofy' than another, no matter where you're from. You're inferring far too much.

is this thread for real, or just a wind up?

I think more of an accidental troll. He's still in the, "I'm a lumberjack" phase of his Thai experiences which makes him see Thai people as different than him rather than he is different from Thai people and in fact different than most people on Thai Visa. He doesn't know that he eats funny.

A better question would be, "since coming to Thailand I notice I'm goofy. I eat funny when compared to everyone else in the restaurant; different than Thais or Europeans and even Canadians! Does anyone else feel goofy since coming to Thailand?"

Actually, I never said that Thai's were goofy. I simply stated that I am curious what differences from individuals own cultures they saw.

One culture is no more 'goofy' than another, no matter where you're from. You're inferring far too much.

I didn't write that you thought Thais were goofy. I wrote that you're goofy in comparison to most of the people in Thailand, be they Thai or from another place. I don't use goofy as a bad word more like funny or odd. Americans in Thailand or other places usually learn how to use cutlery like the rest of the world in a few months of leaving the confines of the USA.

• Like 1

Actually, most of the world has their own unique way of eating. When I was in iraq, people would eat with their right hand and wipe their asses with the left. Not the way I would live but it's the way they have for a long, long time. So be it. Now either please keep the thread on topic or don't post on it.