Jet ski operators back on beaches of Phuket

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“Business operators might move in when we are not checking or not paying full attention"

So that would be all day, every day then ?.

You just know that nothing is going to change in Thailand. In 10 years I predict exactly the same situation. There will be thousands of low-life just waiting for the General to step down so they can get back to business as usual (Mr T being one of them).

steelepulse, on 24 Sept 2014 - 13:38, said:

If I didn't know better, I'd say good old Marine Office 5 loves tea. For the life of me, I can't recall one good thing that has happened under this guy's watch. Why isn't he enforcing the law which requires anyone riding a jet ski to have a Thai marine license ( whatever it's called)? It can't be because of the tea, could it?

These jet ski and parasail hooligans are taking over the beach and don't even dare to put your stuff down where they are operating, or you'll immediately have a problem with a group surrounding you telling you to move if you know what's good for you.

His tea pot needs topping up regularly. And I agree, just what good has he done?

Arkady, on 24 Sept 2014 - 16:48, said:

But, she explained, activities such as jet-skis and parasailing fall across the lines of responsibility of the Municipality (on the beach) and the Marine department (on the water).

I am sure the mayor is doing her best to keep them off the beach but the Marine Dept is responsible for letting their machines back on the water.

She hasn't done anything to keep them off the beach. If she stopped them using the beach, which she admits the municipality is responsible for, then they can't get to the water. I find is strange she can make such a ridiculous comment...oh wait, she thinks she's talking only to Thais.

• Like 2

The beach sunbeds and masseuse never bothered me on the beach at patong, actually was quite friendly with them, never any issues - just the jetskis, mithering for business and the bloody noise of them, then the half wit para gliders, with the monkey rider up top of the harness, some very dodgy landings most days near the beach goers in the mid section in front of the Police station, I'm in the minority I know but leaving the legalities aside for a moment, get rid of the skis and outboard engines all together and then licence and legalise an appropriate number of sunbeds and other services that tourists would like... Not everyone's idea of paradise is a beach with FA on it... half the peeps moaning about the illegal beach businesses prob hardly go on it lol, is it really better now?

• Like 2

"Sakorn Pukham from the Phuket Marine Office said that there is a line of buoys to separate the jet ski and parasailing zone from the swimming zone. “These two activities are nowhere near each other.”

This is NOT correct.

For starters there are NO ropes on any of the beaches on the West Coast during low season. The seas would wash them away if they were not brought in.

On Surin Beach , which I now learn from the recent Consuls meeting with the Governor , jetskis are totally forbidden ( also forbidden on Laem Singh and Bang Tao ) , yet there were two there yesterday , renting amongst swimmers.

As a Consul said , addressing the issue of Insurance and ripoffs - if a car can cost 500,000 baht , and be fully insured and rented at 1000 baht a day , why cant a jetski , costing 150,000 baht , and rented at 1000 baht numerous times a day , be fully insured as well ?

The only shade now available is AGAIN being used for private enterprise on crown land.

And as a Parking Lot , no less.

Last high season , there were 20 jetskis being rented on Surin , admittedly in 2 unroped sections , but one section jammed between 2 swim areas , with idiot young 'French' tourists racing against the ropes from a standing beach start.

Some even crossed the ropes in order to 'overtake' their competitors.

I was unfortunate enough to be swimming along the ropes when this happened.

After this I stopped swimming there.

This is a dangerous , noisy and stinking and polluting activity that needs vastly stronger measures of control if the powers that be are unwilling to ban it...

Compared to beach chairs , this 'service' is a complete shambles...

Back? They never left. (Except maybe a couple days in Patong.)

It seems very odd that the NCPO orders to clean up the island and it's reputation did not include, if not specifically then at least generally, jet ski's seeing as they damage the image of Phuket and Thailand, create the most negative comments second perhaps only to tuk tuks and taxis. Since it is illegal to operate a Thai flagged vessel in Thai waters without a Thai captains license, this is a no brainier. They make a small number of people a lot of money in the process. It just makes no sense whatsoever to keep them. The only explanation is they are paying big money to officials and police to continue operating. The NCPO claims to be on a huge anti-corruption drive, but they are missing a big opportunity here. They can start with the Marine Office 5, if only they can catch .Director Phuripat with his foot out of his mouth.

The biggest impediment I see so far, to the NCPO crackdowns, is that there is an initial crackdown, and then no follow up, and no enforcement. So, what is to prevent these knuckleheads from coming back? Certainly not the NCPO, who are fabulously weak on enforcement. Are these guys getting arrested, and going to trial? Has anyone served time in prison yet? Are any massive fines being levied? Are any of the jet skis being confiscated? What exactly is being done, other than a weak crackdown? The army runs the risk of becoming a laughing stock, if they do not have the guts to institute some enforcement. Everyone in Thailand, including the army know that if you crack down, and then show an incapability of following it up with penalties, arrests, and follow up enforcement, nothing will ever change. Nothing. And at that point you are doing nothing other than putting on a show. So, are they serious, or are they just putting on a show?

Back? They never left. (Except maybe a couple days in Patong.)

It seems very odd that the NCPO orders to clean up the island and it's reputation did not include, if not specifically then at least generally, jet ski's seeing as they damage the image of Phuket and Thailand, create the most negative comments second perhaps only to tuk tuks and taxis. Since it is illegal to operate a Thai flagged vessel in Thai waters without a Thai captains license, this is a no brainier. They make a small number of people a lot of money in the process. It just makes no sense whatsoever to keep them. The only explanation is they are paying big money to officials and police to continue operating. The NCPO claims to be on a huge anti-corruption drive, but they are missing a big opportunity here. They can start with the Marine Office 5, if only they can catch .Director Phuripat with his foot out of his mouth.

The biggest impediment I see so far, to the NCPO crackdowns, is that there is an initial crackdown, and then no follow up, and no enforcement. So, what is to prevent these knuckleheads from coming back? Certainly not the NCPO, who are fabulously weak on enforcement. Are these guys getting arrested, and going to trial? Has anyone served time in prison yet? Are any massive fines being levied? Are any of the jet skis being confiscated? What exactly is being done, other than a weak crackdown? The army runs the risk of becoming a laughing stock, if they do not have the guts to institute some enforcement. Everyone in Thailand, including the army know that if you crack down, and then show an incapability of following it up with penalties, arrests, and follow up enforcement, nothing will ever change. Nothing. And at that point you are doing nothing other than putting on a show. So, are they serious, or are they just putting on a show?

Actually, I would say the NCPO are following up on a lot on other issues. Beach chairs, beach encroachment, taxis. I have seen the Army (actually navy sailors and marines but same same) in Patong many times since the coup as recently as a couple days ago. The problem isn't follow up, it's a conscious decision to not address them. It has been said that the jet skis are exempt from this crackdown. If that is the NCPO's position, then the jet skis didn't need to take the 2 or 3 days off they did, and there is nothing to now follow up on. My guess is there was a local decision, interpretation, made to include the jet skis in the NCPO's orders. Somebody told them to leave at some point. That interpretation has apparently changed.