Bangkok taxi drivers threaten to stop using meters without fare hike

webfact

Average taxi driver needs to make 1400 baht a day to cover fuel and taxi repayments before he starts to make a profit. Look how slow the meter runs and how long that would take to get there. Sitting in traffic all day. What a way to make a living. Give em there 10% rise i say.

• Like 1

Great. Stop using meters and then tell us a price and then we pay what we deem fair at destination. bet the bkk taxi scum wont like that. And to all the farang on here saying " a fare hike is fair". it's the Bangkok and Thai people who will decide that and with their income static and cost of living going up I know what their view is.

you think you can agree on a price then change it once arrive? what a joke!

Great. Stop using meters and then tell us a price and then we pay what we deem fair at destination. bet the bkk taxi scum wont like that. And to all the farang on here saying " a fare hike is fair". it's the Bangkok and Thai people who will decide that and with their income static and cost of living going up I know what their view is.

A fare hike is fair.

very easy ..start revoking licences for both taxi AND driver , as they are not adhering to the terms of the public transport taxi licence, I for one am sick of being refused taxi service in Bangkok

I find it quite irritating how falang know it alls say Increase the fares ..DONKEYS you are a small minority of the daily taxi fares made by THAIS on THAI salary's and with THAI living allowances ...just like me saying yes no problem triple all the airfares to Europe as they are below the real inflation costs

You put your point across OK and then spoilt it with calling the small minority DONKEYS. If that's what you really meant, it was uncalled for and a pretty ignorant thing to say. Stick to the point and be decent. Easy really.

I find bkk taxis better than in most other cities I travel to. Try getting a taxi in Penang for example. On the side of the door it says it's illegal to haggle but they all point blank refuse to use the meter.so I point blank refuse to take a taxi there. In bkk on the rare occasion i get in a taxi who doesn't want to use his meter I just get out. They usually say ok meter. I get out anyway. It's not like there's a shortage of taxis!

Thailand has new to world parity pricing and a lot of tax on cars yet taxis are still affordable. I think taking tax of try ese vehicles will save a fare increase. Thus helping the driver and ordinary Thai using the services. And a huge competitive boon to tourists.

me too im lucky all taxi drivers have used a meter, but when i get in i speak Thai to them.
Also tips... i will tip but if fares increase i may stop that.
I think there are just way too many taxis on the road, there simply does not need to be even 50% of the current quota
If they get rid of just 50% then bangkok congestion will be much much less.

If taxi prices go up so do tuktuks & win mo-cycs ,for thais this eats into their already small monthly means,so many here agree with increases while standards and compliance to regulations remain the same.it's a business let the market rise and fall as may be,as for tax why should privateers be bolstered by the taxpayer,if they weren't making money sois and thoroughfares wouldn't be full of them.if their not making money they can change job....if any other employer will have them.

• Like 2

you think you can agree on a price then change it once arrive? what a joke!
yes, and I have paid what i think . You are the joke

1) Absolutely the fares should be raised - they are ridiculously low and have been for some time - Flag fall should be 50 baht.

2) Not in favor of extending the age limit of vehicles - safety issue. And they should be REQUIRED to have their damn seat belts functional and used.

3) Should have Glass partitions between driver and passenger - for both's safety.

4) Should have a credit card machine to process fares - this is 2014, not 1984.

5) All taxis should have GPS, and should have a service where you can order with est. arrival time - vehicle plate number, etc.

6) tax exemptions - seems reasonable for public transportation to have some tax relief.

1) reasonable to maintain suffcient stardard of cars

2) agree

3) stupid, this has been started years ago in Europe and was stopped because its not useful. And would reduce the capacity if the front seat has to stay empty otherwise it is useless anyhow

4) for fares of 100 THB, are you joking?

5) good idea

6) everyone wants tax exemptions and nobody should get them!

Edited by hhinhh

Bangkok taxi drivers continue to provide a good service at bargain prices for millions of passengers every year.

Try taking a taxi in most any other major city on the planet...or Phuket.... and see how much more you pay....then you will really have something to whine about.

i take tons of short and unnecessary taxi trips because of their abundant availability and low cost.

raise cost or reduce availability and I will no longer jump in taxis just to go around the corner.

food for thought.

Your choice and may be better for your health also.

And why would you take unnecessary taxi trips? There are enough problems with traffic congestion already - so, become a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.

I agree totally with a fare hike. Taxis are ridiculously cheap and it never ceases to amaze me how they exist. Contrary to several comments here most drivers do use their meters and are also courteous. The only time they don't want to use meters is generally late at night around the hot spots like Nana and Patpong. I have lived here for 10 years and only had one occassion where I had difficulties with a driver. If a taxi doesn't want to use a meter refuse to get in. Another who will use the meter can always be found.

• Like 1