Do you use MSG (Mono sodium glutamate in cooking?

Yarinda

I believe that in the Western World we have been eating it for a long time with out knowing it you look at labeling and what is called a food enhanser might read ( M23? example only) it could be msg I have only been living here for eight months now and i think I eat it every second night and it does worry me, I guess if some Guru said drinking bottled water was bad for your health what would drink then???????

I can only speak for the USA, where it must be labeled as MSG if it has been added during processing. It cannot be "hidden" under a pseudonym such as "flavor enhancer". Foods that contain glutamate naturally don't require such labeling.

This is from the same FDA page I linked to in a previous post.

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tiny amount: To add one spoon full (spoon not teaspoon) to 1 serving of soup that already contains some MSG as more than what a bodybuilder adds on a Amino Acid.

And that does not consider the food after the soup.

I've never seen a cook add that much. A few dashes at most (it's usually in a shaker in the kitchen) or a half teaspoon for a big stock pot. If they are adding that much, I'd say they just don't know how to cook.

One of my staff usually added to his soup (which most probably had MSG inside) 2 spoons of sugar (pork soup!!!) and 1 spoon of MSG.

So the cook isn't wrong......but if there are more people like him they will increase the amounts. Last time I looked the bags of MSG in the supermarket were bigger than these with salt.....

I believe that in the Western World we have been eating it for a long time with out knowing it you look at labeling and what is called a food enhanser might read ( M23? example only) it could be msg I have only been living here for eight months now and i think I eat it every second night and it does worry me, I guess if some Guru said drinking bottled water was bad for your health what would drink then???????

I can only speak for the USA, where it must be labeled as MSG if it has been added during processing. It cannot be "hidden" under a pseudonym such as "flavor enhancer". Foods that contain glutamate naturally don't require such labeling.

This is from the same FDA page I linked to in a previous post.

It can be hidden under "yeast extract" of some special yeasts which produce extreme amounts of MSG.

Don't use MSG. I know its very difficult to avoid in Thailand but usually (particularly with street vendors) all you have to do is ask. I have researched the problems of using MSG at length and I have now been an integral part in stopping it being used at my school for good. In fact all our school food is 100% organic. Absolutely everything is sourced from certified farms in Thailand. As parents or as carers entrusted with the care of children I believe we should do everything possible to avoid any harmful toxins from entering our children. So for any concerned parents moving to Bangkok or already living here please check out my school (British Early Years Centre). No MSG, No Pesticides and only Organic and Natural cleaning products used. Please have a read of this blog post I wrote for my school : http://beyc.co.th/blog/2014/09/promoting-healthy-ethical-living-to-pre-schoolers/

One shot of whiskey - ok 10. - 20 shots...". Er pissed?

Could this be about quantity

Exactly! No one doubts that MSG (or the stuff it's derived from) occurs naturally in a lot of food. It's the amount of MSG added during cooking that some people have a problem with,

Don't use MSG. I know its very difficult to avoid in Thailand but usually (particularly with street vendors) all you have to do is ask. I have researched the problems of using MSG at length and I have now been an integral part in stopping it being used at my school for good. In fact all our school food is 100% organic. Absolutely everything is sourced from certified farms in Thailand. As parents or as carers entrusted with the care of children I believe we should do everything possible to avoid any harmful toxins from entering our children. So for any concerned parents moving to Bangkok or already living here please check out my school (British Early Years Centre). No MSG, No Pesticides and only Organic and Natural cleaning products used. Please have a read of this blog post I wrote for my school : http://beyc.co.th/blog/2014/09/promoting-healthy-ethical-living-to-pre-schoolers/

Cheap Charlie, supposed to pay for advertising.

My gf in the states had a dreadful reaction to consuming even the smallest amount of msg, I know had to rush to hospital on two occasions.

That's crazy, does she also get the same reaction when eating the natural version of this which is present in lots of different foods ?

Living in Thailand, I am more concerned about my total sodium intake more than my MSG intake.

Fish sauce, soy sauce, seasoning sauce, oyster sauce, sauce prik, Knorr seasoning cubes, processed and salted meat and fish, pickled foods, etc. are all loaded with sodium.

Compare the sodium levels of any of these foods against the daily recommended intake for sodium and you will be shocked.

Hypertension and cardiovascular disease are serious problems in Thailand.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

More good news on MSG.

For years, monosodium glutamate, commonly known as MSG, has been skewered by health professionals and shunned by diners. The chemical flavor-enhancer has been linked to such heath problems as allergic reactions, obesity and migraine headaches. But today, many scientists are rethinking the detriments of MSG, and as a result, some restaurant owners are shamelessly offering it to diners, extolling its praises.
Last week, San Francisco's popular Mission Chinese restaurant tweeted out that they're putting shakers of MSG on its tables

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/10/06/msg-may-not-be-so-bad-for-restaurants-now-putting-it-on-diner-tables/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork