Visit Visa To The Uk

We expect to be applying for the above within the next couple of weeks and I have the following "checklist" and a couple of questions. I'd appreciate any advice.

I've been living in Thailand for 8 years. We have been together for 3.5 years and can demonstrate it. We were officially married July 16th 2005.

My brother's getting married mid Sept and we've been invited.

I can show a regular income from my property in London, so do not expect a problem with financial sponsorship. I will supply 6 mths bank statements and letting agent statements.

We will be staying with my parents in the family home. Will a letter from them, notarised if necessary, confirming that they've lived in the property for 30 years, own it outright and that it has ample accommodation for us, suffice?

We'll supply a copy of the wedding invite.

I've got correspondence from two years ago to my wife whilst I was back in the UK temporarily.

I'll suppy all the relevant visa pages from my passports - old and current - that show I've been here for 8 yrs. Do I need to photocopy the blank pages?

Does our marriage certificate need to be translated into English?

I think that should cover it, but if we're missing anything obvious we'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Sua Yai,

It seems that you've just about got it covered. Certainly supply a letter from your parents, but there's no need to have it notarised. Also provide a translation of your marriage certificate. If you want to polish off the job, I'd submit the original wedding invitation, rather than a copy.

The embassy requests a photocopy of the entire passport; something which I don't believe to be necessary, but if you want to keep 'em happy, I'd do as they ask, although I wouldn't bother with a full copy of the expired passport.

Cheers,

Scouse.

OK, but she's only applying for a "Tourist visa", not settlement.

As long as we've got our affairs in order, so there's no need for an interview, I thought a decision might well be forthcoming within say a week or so.

At least that's the impression I've got from other threads here.

hi

Good luck but next door to Regent House i was advised that it is a better chance of getting a settlement visa than a tourist visa.By the way the place next door does translation at 500 baht an item.

:o

Good luck but next door to Regent House i was advised that it is a better chance of getting a settlement visa than a tourist visa.
sua yai is resident in Thailand, his wife is resident in Thailand. They have no desire at this time to reside in the UK. A settlement visa is not what they want.

Based on what sua yai has said, there is every chance that the visit visa will be issued based on the documents alone, in which case the turnaround will be a matter of days, not weeks.

The 'advice' given by the place "next door to Regent House" is complete and utter ballocks, and shows why most of these agencies should be avoided. Is this the same place that is collaring people waiting to go into the application centre and trying to con them that there is something wrong with their application (as reported here) ?

One should apply for the visa suited to one's purpose.

Just a quick question regarding the accommodation letter from my parents. Should this be in the format of "To whom it may concern etc", or a general social letter to the two of us?

Either way, it'll cover the size of the house, that they own it and how long they've lived there.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

As a PS to this thread :

Just to let you know that my wife got her VV yesterday. Thanks to all for your help and guidance.

I suppose I should go into town now and part with a bit of money for two return flights?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I'm in the same situation. Could you let me know if you provided evidence of any employment in Thailand. I export car parts from here to the Uk and Europe but I do not have a Thai company, so on paper I do not have a reason for me to return. I do have a very healthy personal bank account statement from an offshore bank. We also own 4 cars here as well. Is this enough?

Hi.

I'm in the same situation. Could you let me know if you provided evidence of any employment in Thailand. I export car parts from here to the Uk and Europe but I do not have a Thai company, so on paper I do not have a reason for me to return. I do have a very healthy personal bank account statement from an offshore bank. We also own 4 cars here as well. Is this enough?

From what you've written here, it would appear that you have enough money to satisfy the visa officer that you can pay for a visit, but I'd show them evidence of your business, too. I presume you keep accounts or copies of invoices etc. which establish that you are running a business.

Scouse.

Scouse,

2 further points I need help on.

I have a 3 year contract with an offshore company working as an IT consultant for them. I am able to work form home as long as I am based near Singapore. Is it worth including this contract as it shows a reason for me to return?

Also, my Non Imm O (marriage) finishes end of Nov. Now I know I can get a further 3 months if I exit just before, but would it be advisable to apply for a new non imm o multi entry before I apply for my wife's UK visa? Or will they accpet the fact that I am waiting to renew it when I go to the UK at Christmas? Again, just so it is clear that I have no intentions of relocating to the UK!

(I know I can get an extension here, but I want multiple entry so asto avoid he re=entry prmt paperwork).

Thanx.

Certainly provide evidence of your contract and, also, get a new "O" visa.

As an aside, should you apply for a one-year extension, the re-entry paperwork is not onerous. You can get a multiple permit for 3000+ baht which is valid for as long as your extension and is less burdensome than applying for a visa once a year.

Also, having the extension can come in handy when applying for UK settlement visas. The British embassy initially sought to refuse my wife's settlement application on the grounds of intention to live together. I was able to refer to the extension in my passport, issued on the basis of our marriage, and manifest that not only had we already been living together for nigh on a year, but that the Thai authorities had accepted our marriage as genuine, so the embassy was evidently questioning their judgment. Thankfully, the visa officer could not read Thai, as the Thai immigration officer had erroneously endorsed my extension "toorakit", i.e. "business". :o

Cheers,

Scouse.