I've had it up to here with people having it up to here.

OxfordWill

So, what do you want, only happy stories? Thailand is different things to different people, it's not for everyone and there's no reason that we shouldn't hear the failures s well as the successes. Do you only watch movies with happy endings as well?

• Like 1

OP, in our bad times, we need somebody to lean our head to his/her solders and cry.

Living in a foreign country, may be we haven't got that person available to us.

But we have TVF, that in a way can substitute the human touch.

So please, do not blame these people, they need somebody to speak to and may be get some sympathy.

• Like 2

OP, in our bad times, we need somebody to lean our head to his/her solders and cry.

Living in a foreign country, may be we haven't got that person available to us.

But we have TVF, that in a way can substitute the human touch.

So please, do not blame these people, they need somebody to speak to and may be get some sympathy.

I agree, it sounds like the OP just needs a big TVF hug.

I am in Montréal right now (see my IP Address) obviously not in Thailand, have not failed in life (since I can afford to live in Montréal) but will move to Brussels next week (because it will get too cold here), was in Bangkok early September and did not want to stay in that ugly city.

Are you happy now?

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 2

I'd happily leave Thailand to the deluded, Thaier than Thai types who haven't yet worked out that the natives (even those closest to them) don't really like them. I wouldn't go on about it here and burst that bubble of yours though, and I would expect it in-kind... ie, please don't come on here whining how it all went wrong when it inevitably does. Have a nice day, in 'paradise' wink.png

Thanks. I've had lots of practice. Most people in the US didn't like me either.

• Like 2

I'd happily leave Thailand to the deluded, Thaier than Thai types who haven't yet worked out that the natives (even those closest to them) don't really like them. I wouldn't go on about it here and burst that bubble of yours though, and I would expect it in-kind... ie, please don't come on here whining how it all went wrong when it inevitably does. Have a nice day, in 'paradise' wink.png

People who think that they were liked back in the Netherlands.. I had idiot neighbors back home and I have one of them here and others are fine just like back in the Netherlands. Most people back where I come from are indifferent to me just like they are here. Real friendship is hard to find and especially hard if you start out here fresh without speaking the language.

However I can see why Thais in tourist areas don't always like foreigners.. go ask people in the tourist cities of Spain or even the Netherlands how they like drunk tourists.

Thailand is in this respect not much different, there might be a bit more xenophobia but back wherever your from minorities are never liked a lot either.

*not aimed at JL crab*

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

Ok, I understand the sentiment of bitter posters bitching about things and blaming the world on their problems but your OP sounds so arrogant and deliberately instigating reactions, IE trolling.

I am used to people only living her a few years and then moving on. It is common because there are many limitations for foreigners and it does make building a future hard. If you are hired in country, most jobs pay low. Not to mention the fact that top down management practices here treat most employees slightly above servant status. Those few who have had good luck starting businesses and became successful, I applaud them because that too is hard. Takes a lot of hard work and capital. It is hard to be successful financially in Thailand. There are many things here that add up and so I find it only natural for people to get tired of it.

I actually recommend people to work abroad for 1 year every 4-5, that way they can recharge not just financially but also get out of the monotony.

So OP, instead of being an arrogant prat, why don't you start a thread offering advice for others how not to get burnt out of living here. How to remain here for 20-30+ years without leaving and not go batshit crazy?

• Like 2

People who think that they were liked back in the Netherlands.. I had idiot neighbors back home and I have one of them here and others are fine just like back in the Netherlands. Most people back where I come from are indifferent to me just like they are here. Real friendship is hard to find and especially hard if you start out here fresh without speaking the language.

However I can see why Thais in tourist areas don't always like foreigners.. go ask people in the tourist cities of Spain or even the Netherlands how they like drunk tourists.

Thailand is in this respect not much different, there might be a bit more xenophobia but back wherever your from minorities are never liked a lot either.

*not aimed at JL crab*

I just don't see it that way based on my home in Colorado. It has been a tourist destination since the 70's. Most of us that were born there just sat back and watched with some amusement at times but were always considerate and said hello and responded to tourist questions and requests for directions.

As for neighbors, maybe its becuase CO had so many rural communities but my neighbors rely on one another.

Anyway, I can sure see from reading the forums here that my world is in stark contrast to so many. Heck, I don't think there is anything special about this Thailand except my wifes family is here and there are some aspects to the countryside I enjoy.

Its good for my arthritis.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Ok, I understand the sentiment of bitter posters bitching about things and blaming the world on their problems but your OP sounds so arrogant and deliberately instigating reactions, IE trolling.

I am used to people only living her a few years and then moving on. It is common because there are many limitations for foreigners and it does make building a future hard. If you are hired in country, most jobs pay low. Not to mention the fact that top down management practices here treat most employees slightly above servant status. Those few who have had good luck starting businesses and became successful, I applaud them because that too is hard. Takes a lot of hard work and capital. It is hard to be successful financially in Thailand. There are many things here that add up and so I find it only natural for people to get tired of it.

I actually recommend people to work abroad for 1 year every 4-5, that way they can recharge not just financially but also get out of the monotony.

So OP, instead of being an arrogant prat, why don't you start a thread offering advice for others how not to get burnt out of living here. How to remain here for 20-30+ years without leaving and not go batshit crazy?

In talking to the longtime expats here it seems quite few rely on Spirits to help them cope.

*not aimed at JL crab*

I just don't see it that way based on my home in Colorado. It has been a tourist destination since the 70's. Most of us that were born there just sat back and watched with some amusement at times but were always considerate and said hello and responded to tourist questions and requests for directions.

As for neighbors, maybe its becuase CO had so many rural communities but my neighbors rely on one another.

Anyway, I can sure see from reading the forums here that my world is in stark contrast to so many. Heck, I don't think there is anything special about this Thailand except my wifes family is here and there are some aspects to the countryside I enjoy.

I think it depends on the kind of tourists you get, I can tell you the people in Spain are not so happy with the Dutch (I am Dutch) To think that the sex tourist in Pattaya are loved biggrin.png (yes short time)

Neighbors, are you sure you never had an idiot neighbor. I know I had back in the Netherlands and I lived in a small town. I have had good neighbors just like here.

But the major difference is you haven't grown up here like you did where you came from plus there is a language barrier.

I like it here 10 times more as where I came from and I have been here for 9 years. But i will admit there are many things wrong here just like back home. Just see more positives then negatives here. Though I can bitch like all of you about them. However the posts you often see here are of people who have not succeeded here and are going home justifying it to themselves on the forum. They are just as bad as the purple shade types that have just arrived.

• Like 1

*not aimed at JL crab*

I think it depends on the kind of tourists you get, I can tell you the people in Spain are not so happy with the Dutch (I am Dutch) To think that the sex tourist in Pattaya are loved biggrin.png (yes short time)

Neighbors, are you sure you never had an idiot neighbor. I know I had back in the Netherlands and I lived in a small town. I have had good neighbors just like here.

But the major difference is you haven't grown up here like you did where you came from plus there is a language barrier.

I like it here 10 times more as where I came from and I have been here for 9 years. But i will admit there are many things wrong here just like back home. Just see more positives then negatives here. Though I can bitch like all of you about them. However the posts you often see here are of people who have not succeeded here and are going home justifying it to themselves on the forum. They are just as bad as the purple shade types that have just arrived.

Well, there were some neighbors over the years we weren't too fond of but we had alot of acreage between us and the philosophy of "Live and Let Live" was always the way amongst our people.

I do find your discussion of Holland and the Netherlands fascinating as I always envisioned it different and am thinking of spending half a year or so there beginning in March. I have always thought the women are quite beautiful ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

Leaving thailand is a failure of life....interesting apologetic view.

I would think the opposite myself....but i can think outside the siam box.

What a sad way to think, it is possible for someone to be happy living in Thailand and also living back at home.

Why does everything have to be so black and white?

• Like 1