Renewing 5 year Drivers License foreigner birthday Nov5, how much before that date

farang101

Yes you can renew your licence 1 month in advance you don't now need a doctors certificate but you will still need an address confirmation yellow book or the likes old licence passport. Photos they now take on a computer there.

All of the above can be different as some licence places require different things you will also have to sit through in Thai a video on safety.

Better you go to your local office and check prior, sorry about that but TIT.

Edited by fredob43

Would advise going a day late rather than early as they run the licence for 5 years from your next birthday. By going just 1 day late you get 6 years on the licence instead of 5. You also need copies of both sides of your existing licence(s), and copies of your passport including latest permission to stay/visa. In Pattaya the confirmation of address is usually obtained from immigration, maybe yellow book is acceptable but I don't have one so I don't know.

• Like 1

Would advise going a day late rather than early as they run the licence for 5 years from your next birthday. By going just 1 day late you get 6 years on the licence instead of 5. You also need copies of both sides of your existing licence(s), and copies of your passport including latest permission to stay/visa. In Pattaya the confirmation of address is usually obtained from immigration, maybe yellow book is acceptable but I don't have one so I don't know.

Your correct on all you say it's just at the place I use they do all the copy's there.

N/B

The yellow book you only get if your married to a Thai and it is your guarantee of address so can use it anywhere. If you have one it save's bundles of buggering about.

you beat me to it on the day late part and they still charge for 5 years well thats what it cost me

Your correct on all you say it's just at the place I use they do all the copy's there.

N/B

The yellow book you only get if your married to a Thai and it is your guarantee of address so can use it anywhere. If you have one it save's bundles of buggering about.

I have yhe yellow book and I am not married to a Thai.The book is evidence of your address,not about married or not.

I live in the district covered by the Pattaya driving licence office (by The Regent's School)! My 5 year licence was due to expire end October and I renewed it last week on 19th Sept. The new 5 years still expires on my birthday 2019.

If you had waited until November you would normally have got an extra year (birthday 2020).

I have yhe yellow book and I am not married to a Thai.The book is evidence of your address,not about married or not.

Indeed. Quite whether it is worth jumping through the hoops to get a yellow book when the residence certificate is readily available from immigration in exchange for a 200-300B tip is another matter.

I suppose it all depends on how many times you would use it.

With luck someone will clamp down on this rather tacky obligatory tip for the residence certificate anyway, and insist that it be supplied for free as it is in other parts of Thailand.

I did mine 2 weeks after expiry and got 6 years. It's good advice to wait until after expiry.

With respect in some provinces maybe not, so not always good advice.

Ditto, our DLT still require medical certificate. Recently MOT announced more medical conditions to be checked before issue of licence's.

I did mine 2 weeks after expiry and got 6 years. It's good advice to wait until after expiry.

Ditto, our DLT still require medical certificate. Recently MOT announced more medical conditions to be checked before issue of licence's.

Which DLT? Medical cert should not be required for renewing a 5 year licence and it pays to wait until after expiry as you get an extra year, effectively a 6 year licence. This is definitely the case in BKK. Would be good to know about exceptions.

Which DLT? Medical cert should not be required for renewing a 5 year licence and it pays to wait until after expiry as you get an extra year, effectively a 6 year licence. This is definitely the case in BKK. Would be good to know about exceptions.

As said many times in many past and present threads not all DLT's throughout Thailand do things the same.

I can only say about Sukhothai, second renewal of 5 year licence you get 5 years no need for med cert.

As said many times in many past and present threads not all DLT's throughout Thailand do things the same.

I can only say about Sukhothai, second renewal of 5 year licence you get 5 years no need for med cert.

You get 5 years in BKK too, unless you wait until a few days/weeks after expiry when you get 6 years.

Indeed. Quite whether it is worth jumping through the hoops to get a yellow book when the residence certificate is readily available from immigration in exchange for a 200-300B tip is another matter.

With luck someone will clamp down on this rather tacky obligatory tip for the residence certificate anyway, and insist that it be supplied for free as it is in other parts of Thailand.

Tips are not obligatory, just say no.

I have a yellow book but just used my work permit.

Not in Suk you don't, 2nd 5 year one 5 years only.

It's the same in K.P.Phet you only get a 5 year one not only that if you go late some 5 week's you will have to as happened to a friend take the driving test again. So it's advisable to check you local place.
  • Like 1

Tips are not obligatory, just say no.

I know, but if you don't tip the certificate can take a week or more instead of the same day (300B) or the next day (200B).

Yes you can renew your licence 1 month in advance you don't now need a doctors certificate but you will still need an address confirmation yellow book or the likes old licence passport. Photos they now take on a computer there.

All of the above can be different as some licence places require different things you will also have to sit through in Thai a video on safety.

Better you go to your local office and check prior, sorry about that but TIT.

thanks i just checked back and got your feedback I will read the rest as well.

I am in Bkk and the five years seem to go really fast.

Oct 5 or so I will go there. As for the the yellow book my wife is Thai and I just asked and she says she does not know about that. We own our Condo so maybe we can bring a copy of that? Have new passport so need to update that number on the license. Have the old licenses for car and motorcycle as well.

Thai Video I do remember seeing that but we were laughing since the way people drive the old saying pedestrian has the right of way is in the Video if I remember but not applied in Bkk for sure.

Great info thank you

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the replies however my birthday as stated is Nov 5 and I went the other day with my wife

to Bkk office one stop BTS after On Nut stop. This is for my second five year renewal for motor cycle and Auto.

I had my new passport and Retirement Visa redone at Chaeng Wattana in Aug. I got my 90 day report as well.

I was given a new form which they helped me fill out at Immigration supposedly to carry with me at all times

to prove my address. I made copies of that and the 90 day report they send me back since I usually mail that form in.

The woman told my wife and showed copies of proof of residence forms one from USA Embassy and or one from Immigration. I only

need one of them she said. I told her to tell her that Immigration gave me this new form to prove and the woman was rude and said

she works here and knows what I need.

Ok she looked over my licenses and copies of passport and did not say I needed copies of front and back of drivers license, just go to Embassy or Immigration and watch a video for an hour in one of the rooms.

I forgot to ask if I can go one day after my birthday but don't want to risk taking road test here so I rather just go to Embassy next week

and get the form and I hope it does not cost $50 USD?

thanks again