Buying a compact camera

^^I can only afford the cameras.

He-he, no wonder with the amount of top class gear you buy.

I spend about 60.000 the last 4-5 month on 2 cameras so I will not buy anything the next 2-3 years.

Okay the latest GoPro's are very cool man, no no stopbiggrin.png , I will just get into problems with the wife.

It's not too bad actually, some top lenses are way more than what I spent so far and I fell I got good value for my money.

^^I can only afford the cameras.

He-he, no wonder with the amount of top class gear you buy.

I spend about 60.000 the last 4-5 month on 2 cameras so I will not buy anything the next 2-3 years.

Okay the latest GoPro's are very cool man, no no stopbiggrin.png , I will just get into problems with the wife.

It's not too bad actually, some top lenses are way more than what I spent so far and I fell I got good value for my money.

This year, Pentax K-3 + grip, Sony A7r + grip + a dozen bats, Zeiss FE 55/1.8, Pentax-FA 43mm Ltd, Samyang 14/2.8, Revuenon 55/1.2, B+W ND Vario, Singh-Ray Gold 'n Blue, Domke bags + + + + . . .

I've stopped now.

From my research the rx100 mk1 is much better than the LX7. The rx100 has a bigger sensor. The lx7 is nicer to use but bigger. At 13k the rx100 seems like the perfect choice imo for your budget.

^^^ A larger sensor does not necesarily mean the final outcome will be better.

There are numerous other factors such as lens quality (both the Sony & Lumix

have excellent lens quality) and the image processor..both have good chips for

that also. Then there is the "feel" of the camera and ease of use...aka...

buttonology. There's more...but I'm not gonna pick it all apart because then

I'd be fronting my personal preferences only...and we're all different as far

as that goes. Price is also a major factor...for example...early next month

when an old friend arrives from NYC I'm dropping a tad bit over 250K

Baht for two camera bodies. Just two bodies....D4s & a D810 FYI. I can

afford this however I know many people, on and off TVF that cannot

really afford 20K baht for a nifty compact camera as that money could

allow them to do other, more important things in their life.

It's nice to have that big 1 inch sensor inside a compact camera but

it's not or ever will be the proverbial "be all & end all".

Then these new compact camera's with zoom have an inherent

problem with the zoom drive mechanism that will, eventually cause

the zoom to either stick open or not zoom at all giving the camera

owner an error message and the camera won't work until the camera

is repaired...if outta warranty this could be pricey. Example...Canon

G12 just outta warranty with lens stuck at the wide end...repair cost

3500 Baht & took 2 weeks. Second repair about 2 years later, lens

stuck somewhere in the middle...repair cost 3000Baht & again 2

weeks. Canon BKK just replaced the lens assembly both times

because they had them in stock. If not...wait or toss it?

One jab at personal preferences...I like 24mm@ f1.4 much better

than 28mm @ f1.8. I really don't give a hoot about the difference

at max zoom...that's what my feet are for.

Edited by sunshine51

Thank you for more food for thought.

All things considered, I'm sticking with the plan of buying an LX7. If I can get anything like those pics posted by MJP from it, I'll be very happy. Particularly the night shot. I've always found it difficult not to have graininess in the night pics I've taken.

I've been to three branches of Big Camera and none of them have the camera in stock. So I'm going to order it from BC. Wifey says I'm setting myself up for a rip-off, as apparently I have to pay in advance, but I'll chance it.

I'll be doing this later next week, so any more input is welcome, before the final decision is made.

Edited by Swamp Thing

They sell the lx7 on lazada last time i checked a month or so ago, which is payment on delivery and often cheaper than elsewhere.

Edit: just checked and it is not available for cash on delivery as it is sold by a seller for 9400: http://www.lazada.co.th/imported-panasonic-lx7-black-304775.html

Edited by mat999

All things considered, I'm sticking with the plan of buying an LX7. If I can get anything like those pics posted by MJP from it, I'll be very happy. Particularly the night shot. I've always found it difficult not to have graininess in the night pics I've taken.

I've been to three branches of Big Camera and none of them have the camera in stock. So I'm going to order it from BC. Wifey says I'm setting myself up for a rip-off, as apparently I have to pay in advance, but I'll chance it.

I'll be doing this later next week, so any more input is welcome, before the final decision is made.

I got my LX5 from Zoomcamera in Bangkok by mail order. No issues.

It should not be necessary to pay the full amount in advance, I paid 5000 baht in advance/booking for my RX100 M3 at BC in Central Pattaya.

I further bought an extended 3 years warranty for 1820 baht.

I don't understand those camera shops, I first went to Sony next door and asked for the M3 and he said; no have, only M2, try BC next door.

Then I went to BC and they also said no have, only M2, maybe try Sony next door, ha-ha. I asked them if it was possible to order one since the guy at the Sony shop was clearly not really interested in selling me one. So I ordered at BC since they were much more interested in selling one and polite too.

Edited by guzzi850m2

A brief update.

I can't find a shop which has the LX7 in stock and BC in Central are not able to order it for me.

So, after reading the reviews and watching numerous vids on YouTube, I will go for another camera recommended on this thread, the RX100. The picture and video quality seem very good and there are lots of manual control options.

I've been reading the thread from Costas with interest, but I am sticking to my budget.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 1

So, I finally finally managed to find a RX100iii in stock a couple weeks back. Maybe not in the price range of the original post , but putting a couple example shots from a trip to Rayong/Ban Phe area as this seems like a popular topic and some might be interested. These are the jpegs straight from the camera.

A basic landscape at the wide angle limit (24mm equiv.):

DSC00060-M.jpg

(original)

Another landscape at the telephoto limit (70mm equiv)

DSC00130-M.jpg

(original)

Night shot of a tree(ISO 1000):

DSC00162-M.jpg

(original)

And a bokeh shot:

DSC00114-M.jpg

(original)

Overall observations:

• Image quality is good, but doesn't crop as nicely as my a99. To get good shots, I have to be much more careful about framing.
  • Dynamic range is OK, but, once again, can't compare to full frame. However, zebra set to show overexposed area is the lifesaver for this.
  • Don't use the EVF as much as I though I would; at the small size, its really easy to hold at arms length and the LCD handles bright light OK.
  • Built-in ND filter is a great feature; makes large apertures usable in daylight.
  • Automatic zoom-in/zoom-out plus focus peaking is a great feature and has made me start to experiment with manual focus (why Sony didn't put this on the a99 (only manual), I don't know).
  • Pocketable in loose fitting clothing; possible but uncomfortable in things like ever so stylish tight jeans.
  • With the 180 degree flip screen and remote shooting via a smartphone, this is a very good self portrait camera. Great for keeping certain traveling companions who always want pictures together happy.
  • Happy with the purchase and it will be a great camera for me to carry everywhere.

If I get some time, I may do an ultimate Sony comparison between the RX100iii, a37, a99 and a77ii, so we can all see exactly how much IQ is gained between a $800 compact and $4000 body/lens combo.

• Like 2