Koh Tao headman offers Bt1m cash if evidence proves his family implicated in the tourist murder

webfact

UPDATE:

Bangkok Suspect Cleared of Connection To Britons' Murder

By Khaosod English

BANGKOK – Police say they have cleared another primary suspect from connection to the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao island that took place over a week ago.

Warot Toowichian, 22, was initially sought by the police on the suspicion that he left Koh Tao island shortly after David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were mudered there last week. Mr. Warot was thought to have been hiding in Bangkok since.

But police questioned Mr. Warot and established that he was not on the island when the murder took place, deputy police chief Pol.Gen. Ake Angsananond said yesterday. Therefore, he is no longer being treated as a potential suspect, Pol.Gen. Ake said.

Meanwhile, Mr. Warot's father, a ‘village headman’ (local administrator) on Koh Tao, denied the allegation that his family is a part of a "mafia" network using its underground influence to stall the police investigation into the murder.

"We are not mafia or influential figures as reported in the news," Woraphan Toowichian said at a press conference yesterday. "My family has been helping authorites … and police in the investigation since the first day."

He continued, "The media coverage has saddened me. It's really serious, and it damages me, my family, and my relatives."

To prove his innocence, Mr. Woraphan said he would give police one million baht if they uncover evidence that links any of his family members to the murder of the two Britons.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1411635247

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-09-25

Nobody needs to take his word for it, just test his DNA, then tell everybody he has nothing to do with it.

It's too simple to consider. For pete's sake. Someone get a grip on this.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign investigators can't just force their way into a foreign countries crime scene. It is completely out of their jurisdiction. They have to be invited. Would you insist on the same thing if the crimes had occurred in Germany?

Your suggestion exudes a sense of superiority over an entire society.

And yours over an entire forum...rolleyes.gif

You have no idea what has gone on at a Foreign Office (MFAT DFAT whatever) level.

So because I point out what protocol is in jurisdictions I am accused of superiority?

And what goes on at a foreign office is very different from flying to Thailand uninvited.

I am hopeful you can understand the distinction.

Cheers

You a troll? Don't think anyone specified a method of transport... what distinction are you rabbiting about?

Nope not a troll--just someone who disagrees with you. Are you really going to nitpick over my suggestion that investigators would fly? And you accuse me of trolling?

How do you suggest that the Scotland Yard team travel from the Great Britain to Thailand?

Edited by ClutchClark

Is that his brother reaching for a gun to the right of him?

I wondered that too, but I think the object going forward from his hand is too long to be the top of a gun. I think he has his thumb hooked in his belt.

x.jpg

Hmmm, the angle of his shoulder to arm and arm to forearm, seem to show an ongoing action, not a resting position; and the position of his thumb, index, and three other right hand fingers, could well be for repositioning 'some object' kept inside his jeans; the bulge behind and above his right back pocket is consistant with the shape and size of a 'compact' automatic pistol too... Not sure of it, but suspect it seriously, very well observed from 'Neversure'! Don't worry, nobody will investigate about that, the gun would be an illegal one (held without a licence), and, of course, no authorisation to carry... Seen it so many, many times, it's like a penis extension for most macho-Thais, and such 'island folks' the more so! Question is: what can they be afraid of on their own 'turf', so why 'carry a piece' if it's not with offensive intentions...? And here, summum summorum, when there are more cops on Tao than residents on the island, why 'take the risk', when you'd not be sure the police will not do anything about it, because be well assured that the BiB will have noticed this much easier than 'Neversure' has, but TiT!

Edited by bangrak
  • Like 1

As far as the UK getting invloved,They will. Silence before the storm. Jersey is another subject,not part of the UK as such,but owend buy the crown.

If any Thai is reading of following this forum, Jersey is very powerful and will not take this lightly, It may be a small island,but some of the most influential

people in the world live there,and are very close net. Also it would not surprise me if they owned half of Thailand Financialy anyway

They will not leave this ever so beware This is not finished

And another fine example of racism.

Why should "any Thai reading this beware its not finished"?

It was not all the people of Thailand who committed this murder. It was not even all the people of KP.

According to current reports it was 3 attackers. Howabout the miraculous powers of Jersey fix their own crime problems.

Clutchclark.... put down the keyboard... step away from the computer... on your knees now! cheesy.gif

Pot calling the kettle black, methinks. If I didn't think the global moderator would remove my response, I'd quote day-to day examples, like double pricing.

"Mr Sean tell world on Facebook my family going to kill him in jungle. I tell world my staff see blood all over his body!"

Tit for tat.

This staff member who apparently didn't see the significance of Sean being covered in blood after the murders needs to be cross examined. This is significant and why the heck has this accusation only now been made public? (We know why).

She needs to be cross examined thoroughly and when the story is shown to be full of b/s then the family will be exposed as liars who are trying to discredit Mr McKanna because of what he exposed.

Let's say the story of Sean being covered in blood has merit; well then this is entirely significant too.

And ofcourse this poor man made his fortune by growing coconuts!!whistling.gif

After reading the the Op, am I the only one even more confused??

I don't know Koh Tao, but many rich island families in Thailand have made their money by selling off land. It is worth a fortune but not so long ago was just cheap farm land.

He made the money of the land that actually doesn't belong to him. The land on Koh Tao belong to the kingdom, and he is renting the "ownership" of the land he possess there. Tabian ban on Koh Tao is non existing!

Nope not a troll--just someone who disagrees with you. Are you really going to nitpick over my suggestion that investigators would fly? And you accuse me of trolling?

How do you suggest that the Scotland Yard team travel from the Great Britain to Thailand?

Misunderstood

Edited by ScubaPhuket

I don't know Koh Tao, but many rich island families in Thailand have made their money by selling off land. It is worth a fortune but not so long ago was just cheap farm land.

He made the money of the land that actually doesn't belong to him. The land on Koh Tao belong to the kingdom, and he is renting the "ownership" of the land he possess there. Tabian ban on Koh Tao is non existing!

As you're probably aware there are several forms of land ownership in Thailand, not only bulletproof Chanote.

You miss all nuance and segue, then go an a blistering off topic attack. Why are you intent on derailing the thread with so much nonsense... please stop, it's painful.

• Like 2

The military PM is ultimately responsible for the situation in Kao Tao. If his statements are more than hollow words, he needs to get himself to the island pronto together with the new chief of the Army, a group of senior officers, and a large contingent of armed squaddies with serious determination to take control of ( and resolve ) the disgraceful investigation......and to shake down everyone associated with the current shambles.

A substantial Army presence should then be retained until the bandits have been cleared out.

This is a chance for the PM to show the world and the Thai people that he is serious..... but.so far, it appears that he is content to let the circus continue.

• Like 1

As you're probably aware there are several forms of land ownership in Thailand, not only bulletproof Chanote.

Yes i am aware, but if you care to read my comment will you understand that he does in fact NOT own any land that he can sell. He can rent out the land that he is in "control" of and "renting" from the kingdom for a fee per rai. So, he haven't become rich from selling land at the rock, he has become rich by being descendent from some of the original settlers on the rock, because these families has been controlling the land and somewhat "rent" it from the kingdom. Hence, he cannot sell the land, he can rent it out or build business on the land.

Try to Google about how land ownership works at the rock and you will see.

Also, these families would not be interested in selling, because there is a lot more money in controlling it.

• Like 2

You miss all nuance and segue, then go an a blistering off topic attack. Why are you intent on derailing the thread with so much nonsense... please stop, it's painful.

I have read through your posts and they seem to indicate you have some personal issues and simply live to antagonize rather than contribute substance to a thread.

I also see you are a new poster here on TV.

My original comments were concerning civil rights vs dragnet DNA testing and also an undercurrent of racial superiority many posters have here towards Thais and Thai culture. Some of those racially charged posts that concerned me have since been removed for that very infraction.

Since you only wish to harangue and antagonize I will allow you a last parting shot.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

The government needs to crackdown on the land encroachers, illegal businesses and everything illegal on this island and give it back to the people (and the tourists.)

It is due anyway and would hit the right people.

Sorry for not being able to wade through the bickering to find this information, but I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.

1. The owner of the AC Bar and other relatives of the person in Bangkok who has just been cleared refused to provide DNA for testing, correct?

2. The one in Bangkok has been cleared because there were witnesses placing him in Bangkok at the time, correct?

3. There's been no mention of the guy in Bangkok or any of his relatives having given any DNA for testing yet, correct?

So, basically, they have only one bit of unimpeachable evidence, that being the DNA found on the poor girl's body. They've managed to contaminate the rest or it is of dubious value (blurry pics on a security cam, planted evidence by the local police, hearsay). So they've basically DNA tested everyone EXCEPT the prime suspects in the case who happen to be local influential figures. And despite not doing so, they've now declared them innocent. Have I got this scenario correct?

As far as I know, the police have not confirmed that they took any DNA tests from this family, or if they did, they have not confirmed whether the results eliminated them or not. And my previous posts, along with others, keep pointing to this blatant 'omission'. I think everyone on this forum should demand the truth.

1.Test DNA on Mon and the son.

2. Question this girl who cleaned the blood off of Sean's face.

3. Test the BIB on the island.

After these have been done then it is time to find out what other Asians were on the island that left the next day. But these 3 items must be cleared before anything can be confirmed.

• Like 1

But then I am an american and we have an entirely different issue with something we call our Rights.

One of which is the Right to Privacy.

We don't think a police force has the right to barge into our home without probable cause. For alot of us Americans we think that is the kind of thing they did in Nazi Germany or the Soviet Onion. Out homes are our castles and what is even more sacred than our home? Our persons. You won't find many Americans who think the authorities should be able to just bust down every door in a neighborhood where a crime took place and that is exactly what a mandatory DNA test is like on an even more personal level.

Cheers

"Patriot act".....whistling.gif

Also of course that is exactly what can be done in Thailand at present under martial law... coffee1.gif

Regarding the uk police becoming involved

1.they need to be officially asked by a formal letter of request ( L.O.R.)

2.this can takes weeks if not months.

3.iIf the local forces of the two involved want to go to Thailand it will depend on the costs as I'm afraid everything does still come down to money..

As for this guy in BKK Has he been DNA,d tested or are they taking his word for it.

What has happened to the other 1/2 guys supposedly involved.

No one has mentioned there being DNA on the lads body,was there any if he was assaulted too then there should have been.

Has that been checked,did it match what was on Hannah's.

I am so angry over this case ,nothing has been learnt in 14 years and here we are again same old scenario.

I wouldn't mind betting that some one some where is being protected ,some hiso...

How come no one heard anything,I read somewhere the police station was only 50 yards from the crime scene,so where were the BIB.

Not only have the families lost their children in the most brutal way possible,but the police are no nearer catching the scum that did it.

It's leaves you feeling so so empty.....

Is that his brother reaching for a gun to the right of him?

I wondered that too, but I think the object going forward from his hand is too long to be the top of a gun. I think he has his thumb hooked in his belt.

x.jpg

Hmmm, the angle of his shoulder to arm and arm to forearm, seem to show an ongoing action, not a resting position; and the position of his thumb, index, and three other right hand fingers, could well be for repositioning 'some object' kept inside his jeans; the bulge behind and above his right back pocket is consistant with the shape and size of a 'compact' automatic pistol too... Not sure of it, but suspect it seriously, very well observed from 'Neversure'! Don't worry, nobody will investigate about that, the gun would be an illegal one (held without a licence), and, of course, no authorisation to carry... Seen it so many, many times, it's like a penis extension for most macho-Thais, and such 'island folks' the more so! Question is: what can they be afraid of on their own 'turf', so why 'carry a piece' if it's not with offensive intentions...? And here, summum summorum, when there are more cops on Tao than residents on the island, why 'take the risk', when you'd not be sure the police will not do anything about it, because be well assured that the BiB will have noticed this much easier than 'Neversure' has, but TiT!

or of course he could just be scratching his arse

Another member of TV's CSI elite video analysis unit...rolleyes.gif

why you wasting your time on TV, the CIA needs your skills right now to select targets from Iraqi satellite photos

please get some help...

Edited by Soutpeel

But then I am an american and we have an entirely different issue with something we call our Rights.

One of which is the Right to Privacy.

We don't think a police force has the right to barge into our home without probable cause. For alot of us Americans we think that is the kind of thing they did in Nazi Germany or the Soviet Onion. Out homes are our castles and what is even more sacred than our home? Our persons. You won't find many Americans who think the authorities should be able to just bust down every door in a neighborhood where a crime took place and that is exactly what a mandatory DNA test is like on an even more personal level.

Cheers

"Patriot act".....whistling.gif

Also of course that is exactly what can be done in Thailand at present under martial law... coffee1.gif

I was not discussing the Laws of Thailand. I was simply explaining why I am opposed to dragnet-type demands for DNA.

Whether Thai Law allows for such would best be answered by someone knowledgable on the matter; however, your claim appears to be incorrect since every male on KT was not forced to provide DNA sample.

Edited by ClutchClark

And village headman has a salary of what ? perhaps Bt30k a month, yet this guy summons up Bt1m form petty cash ?

30k a month? What ! Are you pi$$ed ? He probably owns half the island.

agree, why do people think village headman has to be a poor lad. Anyone rich or poor can be village headman. Phuyai Ban is just a title, they are not paid by the government. Just like why do some folks think rich politicians are only rich because they plunder the tax payers money, most politicians are rich to begin with, and many are just richer after being elected.

Why do all 'elected civil servants', from Phuyai Ban up, give out a lot of money to the voters in the hope to get elected? For the honour, for serving the people? Sweet dreams! They do it to become control over the local trough! And the corruption must be rife, as they need to collect enough to recuperate their 'campaign spendings', to fill their pockets and those of the many 'members of the team', and save up for the next election, the 'generally accepted formula' is to make during the tenure 3x the originally 'invested' money... Did you know that policemen, some state officials, like from Land Office, even guys from the Electricity Cy., pay big money to get a job in Tao, Pha Ngan, Samui, and many other 'touristic places'.? Why would they do it, if not, because corruption money and dishonest deals will make them a lot more than what they paid? Sweet dreams, again, when you think this is not the, plain and sad, truth!

I have read through your posts and they seem to indicate you have some personal issues and simply live to antagonize rather than contribute substance to a thread.

I also see you are a new poster here on TV.

My original comments were concerning civil rights vs dragnet DNA testing and also an undercurrent of racial superiority many posters have here towards Thais and Thai culture. Some of those racially charged posts that concerned me have since been removed for that very infraction.

Since you only wish to harangue and antagonize I will allow you a last parting shot.

a99abdac727ddfc3646fe9b55d8b0f10c943f8e8

• Like 2

To prove his innocence, Mr. Woraphan said he would give police one million baht if they uncover evidence that links any of his family members to the murder of the two Britons.

Without wishing to sound too cynical I'd say a lot more than a mill has already changed hands.

And to think just a couple of days ago I was so full of happiness that they'd changed their spots sad.png

I'm not sure I understand this right...

is he going to give the 1mb to the police if they found out he is not guilty... right...? :/

No, he is offering 1mb if they CAN find any evidence that links him or his family to the murder. Therefore, if someone really wanted the cash, they would try anything to find him or one of his family members guilty.

ALL of us have a right to be treated as innocent until proven guilty. Mr. Warot and Mr. Woraphan also are as human as the dead Britishers and we should allow then to enjoy basic human rights.

I wish it was like that in Thailand too.

This is a homicide investigation. These two are suspects. DNA would prove one way or the other. What's so bl**dy difficult to accept?