wood chips for smoking

hugocnx

Yes, there were some topics about smoking and wood chips in 2013.

It was mentioned that Rimping, Home Pro and Global sell wood chips, but as off today none of these companies sell it (anymore).

Anyone know of a place in or around Chiang Mai? Maybe have to go to Ban Tawan or San Patong. But if someone been there befor and there aren't any wood chips for sale I can spare me the trip.

Thanks

Wood chips are not good for long smokes as they burn too quickly and tend to flare up which makes your food bitter. Better to use chunks. I suggest asking someone with a longan (lamyai) tree to give you some branches after they prune them. Season them for at least 1 month. Another good wood is jack fruit very light flavor. Pretty much any fruit tree except for mango works well. Why pay 100-250 baht a kilo when you can get prunings for free.

You also might want to wait a few months. I am certain that the shops will have them again. Not as much smoking during rain season.

On the contrary, allow me.

Chips are used in special cold smokers. Units outside your smoking area to provide cold smoke, such as 'Smoke Daddy's cold smoker or a self made one like this

Larger units than chips or pellets won't really work that well with these smokers and smaller units than chips and/or sawdust don't do the trick either.

Maybe you are right that wood chips are a seasonal product and anyways cold smoking can best be done in the cold season.

The BBQ store on canal road has them....also if you use a smoker chip "box" and soak your wood chips first they will last longer and you don't have to waste/burn up your chunks....I think I saw chip boxes there as well....also can use aluminum foil but I like the box better

Google is probably better....but in Hang Dong after the Mae Hai market on the left side....it may be after the next light.....red sign I believe....I brought a lot of smoking chips from the states as each works for diff meats etc....they have at least two....shows on their website.....

Wood chips are not good for long smokes as they burn too quickly and tend to flare up which makes your food bitter. Better to use chunks. I suggest asking someone with a longan (lamyai) tree to give you some branches after they prune them. Season them for at least 1 month. Another good wood is jack fruit very light flavor. Pretty much any fruit tree except for mango works well. Why pay 100-250 baht a kilo when you can get prunings for free.

You also might want to wait a few months. I am certain that the shops will have them again. Not as much smoking during rain season.

Yes longan wood gives good results and is free. Also, you may like to try using coconut husks which are great for smoking seafood.

Google is probably better....but in Hang Dong after the Mae Hai market on the left side....it may be after the next light.....red sign I believe....I brought a lot of smoking chips from the states as each works for diff meats etc....they have at least two....shows on their website.....

Nothing on Google, no real lead actually.

So they have a website; why not share that with us?

According to a barbecue obsessive's website, soaking wood chips isn't necessary and is even counterproductive. I believe him because I'm forgetful and it makes life easier if there's one less thing I have to do. Anyway, here's the link.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

Haha, even though...nice advice and well explained.

Nothing on Google, no real lead actually.

So they have a website; why not share that with us?

Here's the website....http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbqthai.com%2F&ei=VR8lVIaYLov78QWYuIDwBg&usg=AFQjCNGhAjrtFyo_qIWczKFwbEfjoECaWQ&sig2=BPUvfQ7B4Xd8v93harCRIw&bvm=bv.76247554,d.dGc

Driving towards HD from CM you go past the Mae Hai market and Rim Ping (hard to see the sign if you don't know where it is) then about 300-600 meters further on your left - red street level sign with white lettering.....no big displays outside - the store is behind the sign (sliding glass doors).....

According to a barbecue obsessive's website, soaking wood chips isn't necessary and is even counterproductive. I believe him because I'm forgetful and it makes life easier if there's one less thing I have to do. Anyway, here's the link.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

Haha, even though...nice advice and well explained.

Yes - I have not had great results soaking them...now I fill the smoker/chip box with as much as I feel is needed then run water over the chips but don't soak....I read on one of the smokers websites that people have a bad habit of over smoking the food (that something with a cook time of 1.5 hours didn't need to be smoking all that time - or even half of it) I cut down and it did improve the results somewhat.....

But - I Chinese wet smoke as opposed to just using smoking chips.....wai2.gif

OK back to the original topic.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Thanks for the link PG; I'll check it out.

I like wood chips for use in a seperate cold smoker. Wood pellets can do the trick also.

Chunks are no go in a small cold smoker. Chips light easily and don't flame.

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/cold-smokers is an example of commercial smokers, but it is easy to make one yourself.

Ive heard good things about coconut husks for smoking, tried it once but had a plastic component in my home made smoking contraption. Certainly plenty around and cheap.

Slight topic deviation, what kind of home made smokers do you all use and how did you make it or where did you buy it?

Will have a kilo of bacon ready in a few days, didnt smoke the last batch due to the previous mishap but may give it another try.