Best way to transfer money out of Thailand?

I have money from a recent house sale in Chiang Mai that I wish to send back to the UK. Anyone have any good advice on the best options for doing that? All the banks seem to have different rules on this, and is there a set limit to the amount you can transfer? Would it be easier for my wife to transfer the money from her account to my account in the UK? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.....

Use your UK bank account and transfer from Thai account using forex or other trading company. Think they have limit of 10 thousand pounds per day. Easy to set up an account and ask them for advice.

Edited by bertty

I have personal bank accounts , if you ask your bank to register your accounts online they should do the paperwork there and then , only problem for you is that you are leaving soon and there might be a bit of a wait for your online details to come through.

I think I tried this before though it was a long time ago , obviously there were problems as this is the reason the nice lady at the bank explained to me the easiest way of doing it.

Online , wife's account to my account in UK.

Edited by NE1

If there is a Bangkok Bank in UK, as there is in the U.S., you can get a cashiers check written on the U.K. branch and deposit it your local U.K. bank account. Check with Bangkok Bank main web site or call them, calling branches in a waste of time.

I have never had a problem transferring funds back to the U.S. using my Kasikorn Savings Account, I do it on-line, easy and painless.

yes if limits you may need to make several smaller transfers.

Good Luck

If there is a Bangkok Bank in UK, as there is in the U.S., you can get a cashiers check written on the U.K. branch and deposit it your local U.K. bank account. Check with Bangkok Bank main web site or call them, calling branches in a waste of time.

I have never had a problem transferring funds back to the U.S. using my Kasikorn Savings Account, I do it on-line, easy and painless.

Good Luck

Yes there is in London.

Talk to the SCB about a Fund Book. 3 months deposit and then you can transfer any amount without restriction overseas. Quite legal and I have clients who have done this for quite large sums.

Could you elaborate on this, please? I don't know what a Fund Book is. And, after three months, where is the money transferred from? The "Fund Book" or an ordinary account. I'm very interested to learn the mechanics of what you're describing.

Contrary to what some people are reporting, in my experience it is most certainly not easy (or even possible) to transfer money out of Thailand, unless it is a relatively small amount or it's from the sale of a foreign freehold condo.

Go to your Thai bank, show them your updated account booklet together with your passport, and ask them to transfer the requested sum to your bank in UK, either in THB or to change the THB into GBP and then transferred as GBP to your UK bank.

In order for them to be able to send the money to your UK bank account you have to give then the

> Online - Electronic -Transfer - Routing - Details < of your UK bank.

That will process the transfer.

Talk to the SCB about a Fund Book. 3 months deposit and then you can transfer any amount without restriction overseas. Quite legal and I have clients who have done this for quite large sums.

Could you elaborate on this, please? I don't know what a Fund Book is. And, after three months, where is the money transferred from? The "Fund Book" or an ordinary account. I'm very interested to learn the mechanics of what you're describing.

Contrary to what some people are reporting, in my experience it is most certainly not easy (or even possible) to transfer money out of Thailand, unless it is a relatively small amount or it's from the sale of a foreign freehold condo.

Well i have a bankok bank account and i transfer money to it from citi bank in usa . i also do on line banking with them . i tried to set up the us account so i could transfer money back to citi if i wanted to .but bbk bank said i could not because i was retirement visa not on a work visa . but i cam wire transfer the money. on line with out setting up a international account. as long as you have the banks swift number and routing number and account.an address. i think thats how it works on wire transfers

I was in a similar situation after the sale of my house and wanted to transfer some money back to Australia. Walked into SCB asked for an application for foreign currency purchase/ transfer also known as a swift transfer and was handed the form. Filled it out and sent 500,000 baht to Australia. Fee for sending this was 550 baht and I was charged $8 by my Australian bank. Don't forget to tick the box Beneficiary account as the fees will be cheaper. I was given the bank rate of 29.45 whichever is the standard rate for most banks.

I said I wanted to pay my Australia credit card. They asked me for my work permit and I said, " sorry I have a Thai wife/ retirement visa". Okay no problem. I have now sent another two payments of 1,250,000 each time with no proof of funds needed. If you need to send 2 or 3 million baht up back to the UK you would need proof of the money coming into the country and proof of why you have it now.....e.g sale of a house, apartment etc.....that's it, pretty straight forward.....hope it helps.

I am fairly certain that Bangkok Bank will charge you 1% of the total to transfer money from Baht to another currency.

Took five or six days for my online banking privileges to be processed.

One banking service that I really love is BKB sends me an SMS every time I withdraw money, or a bill is paid on automatic payment.

I think this service costs something like 30B a month.

Then, at the end of the month when my bill comes, if I have any doubts about and transactions I just check the last month's SMS messages on my phone. (From BKB that is.)

Very handy, AND I would immediately know if someone had hacked my account.

Good Luck

Yes there is in London.

I would email Bangkok Bank in London to confirm and ask specifically what you want in writing. If it is a go, print the email before and take it with you go in case you have to deal with an idiot at Bangkok Bank in London.

When you transfer money direct from your bank to get a terrible rate. I know when I transferred money into Thailand using forex I got 2 baht in the pound more than I would have dealing direct bank to bank. If you are transferring a lot of money that soon adds up.

• 11 months later...

Best way to transfer money out of Thailand?

When filling out the BBK Bank international transfer form, under: Details of the beneficiary, it asks the Beneficiary account number and what Currency?

The logical answer should be, whatever the currency is in your home country, however is this the correct choice?

A friend once made the mistake of telling his USA Bank to transfer USD into his Thai bank, in THB and they sent it to his Thai bank, however there was a huge FOREX conversion charge. If he would have transferred the funds from the US in USD to his Thai bank, then he would have avoided that.

Conversely if you tell the Thai bank to transfer the THB in your account to the beneficiary bank in USD, will there be a conversion fee? Would it be better to transfer THB into the beneficiary bank and let them convert it?

Anyone know for sure which is the better way?

// you would need proof of the money coming into the country and proof of why you have it now//

That is a problem for many people living in Thailand. sad.png

One I know is an Italian guy with no family & nothing left in Italia.

During years he had his pension paid monthly in Thailand, using only a part of it.

Now he want to return Italia and transfer back a cumulated few million baht

but his bank said that without a FET form it's not possible,

and no way they will issue a FET form for each of his past pension payments...

Last time I saw him he was still looking for a way... sad.png

Have a similar ask, looking at options to transfer a fairy large sum each month from Bangkok Bank to either Singapore or the UK. Have used bank SWIFT previously and looking into Skrill as an alternative but heard some horror stories

Any advice?

Edited by Mabbutt