Shouting, yelling and speaking loud.

willyumiii

"She says " When farang gets mad, he yells. Five minutes later he is not mad anymore. It is good.

When Thai is mad they say nothing and stay mad forever...that is bad!"

I think your wife answered the question for you why it is OK for a Thai to raise their voice and not a falang OP

Better for them to get it out of the system, eh

I was working on an electrical panel when my wife turned on one of the switches in an adjoining panel to give me more light. It was too close for comfort and I yelled at her to get some Thai guy to electrocute as I'm finished working on anything in this house and........da ......da.....da. You know the drill. Ask me before you start flipping switches ......da.....da...... She reminded me what she does at work every day and that she doesn't make mistakes.

post-187908-0-73622800-1411801803_thumb.

I have a theory based on the mechanism of hearing. Many cultures live in " a cradle of noise", from birth. Dogs,hawkers,TV.etc. Any organised gathering invariably has speakers the size of minivans upended, rattling the windows. The hairs in the ears, vibrate to interpret sound. Like any structure, overused, they are subject to fatigue and failure. During some tests at a university, some students, Asian and European were tested for

abilty to hear a range of sounds. Without exception, the Asians had very poor hearing in the lower ranges than the Europeans. Even the elderly European staff had better hearing. Hence my theory why they need to raise their voices to be heard.

Boiler shop (the real ones, not the scams), workers were always identifiable by the way they stood next to each other positioned to speak directly into eac other's ears. My obsevations at Wallsend Slipway & Engineering,

I have a theory based on the mechanism of hearing. Many cultures live in " a cradle of noise", from birth. Dogs,hawkers,TV.etc. Any organised gathering invariably has speakers the size of minivans upended, rattling the windows. The hairs in the ears, vibrate to interpret sound. Like any structure, overused, they are subject to fatigue and failure. During some tests at a university, some students, Asian and European were tested for

abilty to hear a range of sounds. Without exception, the Asians had very poor hearing in the lower ranges than the Europeans. Even the elderly European staff had better hearing. Hence my theory why they need to raise their voices to be heard.

Boiler shop (the real ones, not the scams), workers were always identifiable by the way they stood next to each other positioned to speak directly into eac other's ears. My obsevations at Wallsend Slipway & Engineering,

I think she would agree with your assessment. Asia, in particular Issan on a Friday/Saturday night, will definitely melt the ears.

Op, at least your wife now understands the value in letting rip on occasion as opposed to bottling up (like above).

And why is it ok for Thais to shout and not farangs? Because we are 'guests'. We should NOT complain or be heard because there is nothing to complain about (from their perspective) in this culture. Also the respect angle - much like it is ok for a Thai kid to wear a pair of shorts with the Star & Stripes on, but by golly see if your kid gets away with wearing the Thai flag on their arse!

In reflection, I always find things seem less stressful if you picture yourself, not necessarily in a menagerie, but sort of in a giant playground. wink.png

See it from the other side.....In my country (not Thailand), I admit we have many idiots, but they are citizen and nothing can be done about it....some people are idiots.

But for my country I don't want that we let in more idiots, lazys, troublemaker, or people who are rude. Let only people in who bring some benefit to the society.

And I think the same for Thailand. A rude Thai...what you can do? But a rude Farang...what is he doing here?

Op, at least your wife now understands the value in letting rip on occasion as opposed to bottling up (like above).

And why is it ok for Thais to shout and not farangs? Because we are 'guests'. We should NOT complain or be heard because there is nothing to complain about (from their perspective) in this culture. Also the respect angle - much like it is ok for a Thai kid to wear a pair of shorts with the Star & Stripes on, but by golly see if your kid gets away with wearing the Thai flag on their arse!

In reflection, I always find things seem less stressful if you picture yourself, not necessarily in a menagerie, but sort of in a giant playground. wink.png

See it from the other side.....In my country (not Thailand), I admit we have many idiots, but they are citizen and nothing can be done about it....some people are idiots.

But for my country I don't want that we let in more idiots, lazys, troublemaker, or people who are rude. Let only people in who bring some benefit to the society.

And I think the same for Thailand. A rude Thai...what you can do? But a rude Farang...what is he doing here?

Spending money.

its not the volume thats the problem. thais are uncomfortable with public displays of anger.

Agreed, but it doesn't mean they're not angry. They'll suppress it by default and over time will just explode if pushed too far... such as being turned politely down by a female which would give some males grounds for rape and murder.

nice generalization

Edited by AYJAYDEE

"Any thoughts on why it's o.k. for a Thai to yell for no reason and not good for a farang to yell for a good reason?"

They got the house and car, now they looking for excuses to get rid.

(Not to mention the Thai guy will not only shout but probably, punch, slap and kick)

You mean a Thai guy by himself and no backup? I don't think so.

Check out this Thai woman.

Edit to add; she may not be all Thai. Maybe a luk kreung?

Man, that was totally crazy. I don't believe that was in Thailand, though.

Maybe not. Do you mean to say there other countries where people shout, yell and speak loud ?

Do not mean to sound racist here, but having toured over a lot of America a few times, I found the black people to be very loud mouthed, though not always in a bad way. ie, On a Greyhound bus heading for Nashville, two black men were having a conversation, one was near the back of the bus, and the other one near the front. It was impossible to have a conversation with my female partner.

Check out this Thai woman.

Edit to add; she may not be all Thai. Maybe a luk kreung?

Man, that was totally crazy. I don't believe that was in Thailand, though.

Maybe not. Do you mean to say there other countries where people shout, yell and speak loud ?

Do not mean to sound racist here, but having toured over a lot of America a few times, I found the black people to be very loud mouthed, though not always in a bad way. ie, On a Greyhound bus heading for Nashville, two black men were having a conversation, one was near the back of the bus, and the other one near the front. It was impossible to have a conversation with my female partner.

You are not being racist - you're expressing the truth.....they tend to be loud when speaking to one another - whether at gatherings - picnics - where ever - shouting themselves down or over the other to be heard....it's also used quite often as an intimidation tactic....they don't seem to be bothered by the fact that they are stealing everyone elses space....seems the younger the more disrespectful.....possibly part of the rap culture but have also observed it in blacks "our" age - just a difference in spirit/intent between the age groups.....even on their cells phones......

Personally I do not like loud people....consistantly loud women tend to be bullies....loud men seem to be ego touting - there's a reason for the expression loud mouth....

I like to try and guess the different Asian ethnic groups.....if I see two people that are loud, spitting their words at each other & I can't tell if they are friendly or arguing it's a pretty fair bet they're Chinese......other ethnic groups are known to be loud too....

I avoid being around loud people if possible....my wife and I are pretty quiet.....

I've had people startled/surprised at ball games if I should shout - or if shouting for someone in the distance if required as they've never experienced me loud.....but that's extremely rare.....

• 1 year later...