Amazon Fire TV

givenall

The Fire TV 2nd gen is one of my favorite streaming platforms. Does pretty much everything I need, works fast and smoothly.

The only downsides I'm aware of are:

--it isn't HDR compatible and won't/can't be in its current hardware configuration. But right now, there's little HDR content out there. Though, HDR is coming:

Samsung's 2016 quantum dot and 4K TVs are getting support for HDR YouTube videos thanks to an updated YouTube app rolling out to sets worldwide starting in December.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/20/samsung-tv-youtube-hdr/

--the Fire TV homepage, IMO, is overly cluttered with Amazon's various recommended content. But if you stick to using the top level row of "Recents" icons/tiles, then everything you do will be pretty much front and center.

One thing that I think is going to be interesting is whether Amazon, as it recently has launched its international expansion of Prime Video, will likewise expand its direct hardware sales of things like the Fire TV devices to those same markets.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meanwhile, an interesting, forthcoming new streaming box entrant from the U.S. that aims to combine OTT streaming with antenna broadcast channels all in the same device interface -- the AirTV Player from SlingTV.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14029298/dish-airtv-player-new-set-top-box-sling-netflix

I wonder if the box will be more widely available too.  The hardware seems good for the money, subsidised my Amazon I guess.  At current rates it'll cost me around 3,300 baht (cheaper before June!!!! :sad:) plus whatever Customs stick on top (I've told the sender to be up front about the value and contents - media player).  Still better for my needs I think than a Neo U1 at close to 5,000 baht.

Downside for me with it is no Google Play Store (not sure how Amazon's app store stacks up - will be doing a lot of reading over the festive period) and I'm not sure how well it'll take side-loaded APKs vs standard (vs forked) Android.  It looks well built with a good remote, albeit several recent reviews are saying that other boxes are leaving it behind now.  For what I want to do it's fine though.

At the moment, the Amazon Prime Video (International) content is pretty dire and not a patch on Netflix IMO. Amazon has a lot more movies (most of which are quite - very dated and in which I've no interest) and the TV series section is desperate, REALLY.  About 10-12 series in total with only 3 of interest to me.  I'm guessing (and REALLY hoping) that it's because it's such a new service, maybe hence the reason for the $2.99 50% off for 6 months as they get content loaded.  As it stands it's not even worth that IMO and I'll cancel before the 7 day trial ends and wait until the content is there.  No way will they even come close to competing with Netflix, or even Iflix (at a paltry 1,000 pm even though it's only 480) at current content levels.

It'll be interesting to see what the new Nvidia Shield looks like too.  This time I went for the FireTV as, following reading as much as I could about these streamers, and the comments from TallGuyJohn, it seems that the Fire TV is the only one that can currently do all (or at least most) of what I want in the event I want to de-clutter and bin (or shove out of sight) the Apple TV and just keep a one box solution.  For me that means:

Netflix in HD

Amazon Prime Video

Plex

Spotify

Ability to run Kodi

HD Ready

Ethernet connection

H.265 capable

OTA updates

Unless I find that I still have a DESPERATE need for Airplay I don't think there's anything the ATV4 can do that the Fire TV won't be able to.

I would have gone for the Shield but the reviews seem to rate it more for gaming than streaming AND the Shield has no Prime Video or Spotify apps currently.  I might not always want to run services like Prime or Netflix but I need the device to be capable in case I want to.  I've seen rumour that the new Shield will be lower in price and maybe geared more towards streaming than gaming (as a gaming machine I can't see it being a patch on a PS4 / Xbox One and as a streamer too many other devices undercut it), if that's the case it might be worth a look subject to it getting a Prime app.  They'd also need to bundle a decent remote with it as well TBH, instead of the $50 they expect you to pay for one currently (unless you got one of the offers).  For me, the Shield simply wasn't worth the significant price hike currently, especially with the shortcomings.

I would rather have the Google Play store than the Amazon store TBH (more variety, the ability to load apps I already own & less need to mess around side loading APKs) and hopefully, if Google and Amazon sort their differences out, the Fire TV will get the native HD capable YouTube app as well.

Edited by SooKee

8 hours ago, SooKee said:

I would rather have the Google Play store than the Amazon store TBH (more variety, the ability to load apps I already own & less need to mess around side loading APKs) and hopefully, if Google and Amazon sort their differences out, the Fire TV will get the native HD capable YouTube app as well.

One of the things I've found in comparing the Fire TV Box 2nd gen with the new Mi Box Android TV is that the latter probably has a MORE limited app store at present than the Fire TV.

Yes, the Mi Box runs an official Android release vs. the Fire TV's modified version, but that doesn't mean all or most apps currently in the Play Store for regular Android devices are also compatible with Android TV devices.  The difference between a touch screen Android tablet or phone and the remote clicker-controlled Android TV interface means a LOT of regular Android apps just won't work properly on the Android TV interface.

It's kind of weird, the official link in the Google Play Store for Android TV apps, and the apps you can see in the Play Store on an Android TV device, don't appear to be ALL of the Android apps that will work on an Android TV box. But, thus far, I haven't been able to find any source or way to actually show ALL of the compatible apps, meaning oftentimes, if you venture outside the very limited official Android TV play store, it's a matter of trial and error.

That's interesting thanks.  Of course, slipped my mind that the Nvidia Shield is Android TV, knew the Mi was but forgot about the Shield running it also.  Hmmmm.  

Be interesting to hear how you feel about the Mi vs Fire TV 2 after a few months of use.  I'll likely need a second box at some stage but might just stick with the AIS Playbox when I get it as it won't get used much I guess (bedroom) unless my partner fancies watching something I don't which is rare.  I see AliExpress had a free delivery offer on the Mi at $69.99 from a few places.

• 2 weeks later...
Dragging up a bit of an old thread here as I'm looking at the Fire TV, Fire Stick, Roku and Android boxes (specifically the Minix Neo U1) and its does seem that these Fire devices seem to create more difficulties than the hassle is worth (at least for given what I want to do).  Added to that is getting one here (BKK) with whatever I select Amazon saying not available for shipping to Thailand (necessitating I guess a forwarding service?).  The Roku I have at least seen on Lazada (albeit the 3 and now not available).  

One thing that DOES appeal about the Fire / Roku / Shield is HD Netflix but I have an Apple TV for that so I'm just looking to supplement that by using another box with Kodi / Plex / Thai Expat TV and I sure can't see the VFM in paying around 10,000 baht for a Shield.

For anyone that switched from Minix or whatever was it really THAT worth it, seems enough issues above to put me off TBH.

I run the ThaiExpat.tv app on my Fire TV box. Easy to sideload pretty much anything on it and it works great. Much better than my Minix box - quicker and more reliable.

5k from Lazada. Didn't need to worry about how much customs would end up thieving from me.

You mean the Fire TV was from Lazada? I've seen the Minix boxes for that price on Lazada but not the Fire.

I went for the Fire largely because of the posts by TGJ which started me looking more closely at it. I was going to go for the Minix U1 before that. Does seem that the Fire is a good quality box with a good spec for the price though. Likely because it's subsidised by Amazon I guess as a loss leader to sell Amazon Prime Video. Not got it yet as I told my UK contact to hang on to it until I move to BKK next week. It'd be just my luck for it to arrive at the old place the day after I moved out.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm continuing to run side by side at home both the Amazon Fire TV box 2nd gen and the new Huawei Mi Box. Thus far, I continue to feel there's a lot of overlap between the two including Kodi running fine on both, but I'd probably give the Fire TV a bit of an edge still, in terms of how I use it.

[PS - I don't have any 4K TVs at home right now. But AFAIK, both boxes support 4K video content, though I've seen some complaints from some Mi Box users about its 4K compatibility with playing certain local video filetypes. The Mi Box also supports HDR content, whereas the Fire TV box 2nd gen does not.]

Some differences I've found:

--The Fire TV app store these days is pretty large, well-stocked and comprehensive. In comparison, the official Android TV app store is paltry, with something like some dozens of apps officially supported. For me at least, it's been hard to determine to what extent most regular Android apps are cross-compatible on the Android TV platform.

--The Fire TV of course has apps for Amazon Prime Video and Music, but right now, the Mi Box Android TV does not, and efforts at sideloading the Amazon apps onto the Mi Box seem not very successful.

--The Fire TV supports and has an app for the new AT&T DirecTV Now OTT cable TV service from the U.S., but right now, no DirecTV app for the Mi Box. (Though, both boxes have apps for and support using Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV and others).

--I've noticed an odd difference with the Tune-In app on the Mi Box, which for some reason appears not to include the ability to sign-in to one's TuneIn account and thus access your favorites list, etc etc. Whereas the TuneIn app on the FireTV operates normally and supports account logging in and access to favorites.

--The home page appearance of the Mi Box, especially if you turn off "recommended content" is much cleaner and less cluttered than the Amazon FireTV home page. But part of the reason for that, of course, is the lack of access by the Mi Box to all of Amazon's video content.

You mean the Fire TV was from Lazada? I've seen the Minix boxes for that price on Lazada but not the Fire.

I went for the Fire largely because of the posts by TGJ which started me looking more closely at it. I was going to go for the Minix U1 before that. Does seem that the Fire is a good quality box with a good spec for the price though. Likely because it's subsidised by Amazon I guess as a loss leader to sell Amazon Prime Video. Not got it yet as I told my UK contact to hang on to it until I move to BKK next week. It'd be just my luck for it to arrive at the old place the day after I moved out.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes I bought my Fire TV 2 box from Lazada about 6 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, as of now, I wouldn't bother with a Fire TV here.  I'd either stick with an Apple TV or, for an Android solution, opt for either the Nvidia Shield (2017), a Minix Neo U1 or the Mi box.  Reasons?

I got caught out a bit because Fire TVs are linked by geo-data to the country in which you have your account.  So, if you want to use your Amazon Prime elsewhere you'd need to use a router based VPN (which will hopefully be one of the ones that continue to work and not get closed down by these companies as they try to prevent folks circumventing the licensing issues). Fine so far.  Knew that.  Amazon do however have a Prime International service which I hoped would be picked up by the device and automatically just detect that that's the service you should be using.  Wrong!!  They haven't updated Fire TV with what I would have thought would be a fairly simple update to allow it to switch automatically to Prime International. So unless you use that VPN (and I don't want to as I have more than enough content via Netflix and iFlix here to not have enough of a reason to pay again for a VPN service, at least not yet) you'll be hit with log on errors and erroneous messages telling you to connect to an Amazon account website that doesn't even exist, this error message is the subject of much derision on the Amazon Fire boards.  Amazon's response to the problems this was causing, close the email channel that allowed customers to communicate with them.

Funny thing is, the Amazon Prime device apps, and even playing from the computer, DOES switch immediately to the international content.  So to watch that with ease on the big screen you either need a device where you can stream your content to your TV or have a computer connected by HDMI.  The other problem for me is that Amazon Prime International sucks, and I mean REALLY SUCKS (I plan to watch one remaining series on it then bin it), when compared to even Netflix and iFlix legit available content.  But I was prepared to put up with it, so long as it defaulted to Amazon Prime International catalogue, as the Fire TV could take the Plex and Netflix apps etc.  But, in the absence of that, as a media player in itself, it just has a waaaaaay too Amazon centric UI, shoving content and even ads for it in your face that you can't even access as you'll just get a 'There's a problem with your account'.  Maybe if the Amazon developers pull their finger's out their a55es and update the box for international use I might use it again, until then though it's back in the box, I may even sell it or pass it on to someone back home as a gift, there's just too much Amazon stuff getting in the way of its UI for me to want to use it as a player, and unless you root it, you don't even get access to the Google Play Store, just Amazon's.

For the time I did use it, things that I really didn't like about it, compared to the Apple TV:

1) No watch live news apps.  The only apps I could find were those awful 'pick a 3 minute update and watch it / select by story'  apps which I REALLY detest.  I prefer to click on the news and have it run.  Not to have to keep picking up the remote every f****ng two minutes to pick a bloody story!!  At least with Apple TV you get the Reuters 15/30 minute option and the Aljazeera live streams.

2) No ARC to control the TV / soundbar with the device remote.  With ATV I can turn it on and it turns on my TV and soundbar.  It can also control the soundbar volume.  With the Fire it's TV remote, soundbar remote and Fire remote.  No thanks.  To be fair, I guess this'll be the same with all Android options.  Just surprising how it quickly becomes irritating when you've got used to the one remote version.

3) No multi tasking.  With Apple TV I can do other things in apps while still playing music through it.  With the Fire if you go back to the home screen whatever your'e playing / listening to will stop.

So, I'm not nearly as impressed with it as I hoped to be.  As a media player it's OK I guess but for now I don't wish to put up with the Amazon centric view of things ESPECIALLY when they can't even update the damn thing to legitimately play their own content!!!  With a more generic device there's no faffing about trying to sideload apps to it using convoluted processes and for just using it as a Plex player, well I have those already, and they also happen to have native HD YouTube, not the Fire TV hack / work around.

I guess I could go for the Nvidia Shield but what I need to consider now is do I want to.  Why buy it at all? The Shield has Prime Video but I'm wondering if it's the Fire TV app version that will try to default to your full store I'll pass again.  But at least the Shield will be Amazon free in terms of its UI.  I could also get a Minix I guess with Kodi.  Part of me thinks for what I'd use that for I could also use the Fire TV.  It's just the Amazon clutter and the faffing around you need to do with it with Downloader and ES File Explorer to get stuff on the damn thing, instead of straight 'app store / download'.  Guess I'm just a bit unimpressed with the Fire at the moment so less inclined to use it, so maybe I'll just get rid of it.

Edited by SooKee

Having thought I'd researched everything before grabbing a Fire TV I came across a separate page for Amazon Prime which is the stand alone international version. Turns out if you want to watch Prime International the LAST thing you want to try and watch it on is a Fire TV!!  As there is an Android app you'd be better loading it on a generic Android box if you want it on the big screen.

I'd still be interested to see whether it's the Android app version that is on the Shield (and which users of the older box I think will get by way of update) and thus WILL work with Prime International or the Fire TV version which won't.

SooKee, your posts above don't really make a lot of sense to me. On one hand, you're complaining about the difficulties of accessing Amazon Prime International via the Fire TV device. And then shortly thereafter, you're complaining that Prime International is bad compared to the regular domestic U.S. version, presumably because the former has less content.

At the end of the day, the Fire TV devices make the most sense for someone who has and wants to use a U.S. Amazon Prime account. Just use a router based VPN or even DNS service and everything works perfectly fine. You get the full Amazon Prime content library, and anything else you want. And, more than likely, the same VPN or DNS service that will get you Amazon Prime video U.S. will also serve the same purpose for U.S. Netflix and Hulu, which can be viewed either separately or as apps via the Fire TV device.

Also, you're just flat wrong about the Fire TV not having any live streaming news apps. It has dedicated live stream apps for CBSNews Live from the U.S., Sky News from the UK, NHK World from Japan, and Bloomberg TV for business news, plus pretty much every potentially available news channel out there available one way or the other via the Kodi app on the Fire TV device. In addition, if you're a U.S. person and want to subscribe to any of the newer online cable TV services like DirecTV Now, SlingTV or USTVNow, you'll get direct and official access to the live streams from CNN, CNBC, MSNBC and others depending on the paid package you pick.

55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

SooKee, your posts above don't really make a lot of sense to me. On one hand, you're complaining about the difficulties of accessing Amazon Prime International via the Fire TV device. And then shortly thereafter, you're complaining that Prime International is bad compared to the regular domestic U.S. version, presumably because the former has less content.

At the end of the day, the Fire TV devices make the most sense for someone who has and wants to use a U.S. Amazon Prime account. Just use a router based VPN or even DNS service and everything works perfectly fine. You get the full Amazon Prime content library, and anything else you want. And, more than likely, the same VPN or DNS service that will get you Amazon Prime video U.S. will also serve the same purpose for U.S. Netflix and Hulu, which can be viewed either separately or as apps via the Fire TV device.

Also, you're just flat wrong about the Fire TV not having any live streaming news apps. It has dedicated live stream apps for CBSNews Live from the U.S., Sky News from the UK, NHK World from Japan, and Bloomberg TV for business news, plus pretty much every potentially available news channel out there available one way or the other via the Kodi app on the Fire TV device. In addition, if you're a U.S. person and want to subscribe to any of the newer online cable TV services like DirecTV Now, SlingTV or USTVNow, you'll get direct and official access to the live streams from CNN, CNBC, MSNBC and others depending on the paid package you pick.

It's not actually that hard.  But I'll spell it out.  Don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be offensive but I'm trying to get this working 'as supplied', vanilla, not your way or any other involving bolt ons.

1) I'm not from the US.  No interest in US TV news.

2) I do have , and at the moment am happy to use the standard (not needing a VPN), legitimately available in Thailand, services from Netflix, iFlix and Prime Video.  At this stage I don't want a VPN or other circumventing services.  It doesn't matter what I think about Prime vs Netflix etc as its content MIGHT improve and I might want to use it.  Trouble is on the Fire TV you can't.  That is MORE than adequately explained in the first paragraph, as is my not wanting a VPN.  Unless your'e trying not to understand it.  Not everyone might want to use YOUR solution.

3) You cannot access Prime Video, a distinct and different service from regular account based Amazon Video (where you need to be located in, or use a VPN to convince the box you are in, a supported Amazon account country) on the Fire TV.  End of.  The Fire TV is NOT a Prime Video supported device.  It doesn't work. Plain and simple.  https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=dv_web_help_nd_nav?_encoding=UTF8&nodeId=202064920

4) There are no live stream news apps that I can find.  I haven't yet faffed around much with Kodi.  Sky News doesn't work on its Live Stream.  It might if you use a VPN.  I don't have one, don't want one.  If you try using the app without a VPN it just stalls, as it does on the Apple TV now.  In fact the only way to watch it now is via YouTube.  Using the iOS or Apple TV apps you will just get 'an error occurred loading this content' if you attempt to Watch Live.

No point arguing you don't understand my posts by trying to suggest your VPN / Kodi based approach.  I'm taking about the box supplied 'as is'.  

Edited by SooKee

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

No point arguing you don't understand my posts by trying to suggest your VPN / Kodi based approach.  I'm taking about the box supplied 'as is'.  

I'd certainly agree with that notion. Trying to use a Fire TV device in Thailand without using a VPN or DNS service seems pretty counterproductive, at least in the current often geo-restricted content world.

I'd never recommend anyone to buy a Fire TV for trying to use in that manner. That's just not what it's intended for.

Sure. I was just giving it a try as the cost was minimal. Just disappointed that it doesn't work in its default state with Prime Video. On that basis, a generic box is better for me seeing as you don't have to battle with the Amazon UI to get what you want or mess about side loading. I suppose my feelings might warm to it a bit more if it did what I needed. It just doesn't.

The Apple TV does Netflix, Plex, You Tube HD, Airplay of Iflix and I have all my other needs catered for in other ways. If the Fire TV did all that AND played Amazon Prime I could have binned the Apple TV and had a one box solution that suits me more. Up to others what they want and how they use devices. At it stands though a Fire TV is the last thing you want for Prime Video International.

As a generic box I'd rather have something without the Amazon intrusive UI. It's worse than Touchwiz on 'droid phones for me.

Geo restricted is not a problem if you're content with the legit available content. Netflix, Iflix and Amazon all offer services that will work in Thailand. It's just that the Fire TV, despite being an Amazon product, is NOT a supported device for Prime International. Something folks may not be aware of.

It seems many are being bitten by the same problem with the Nvidia Shield which now has the same Amazon Video as software as the Fire TV. The boards for that product have a lot of complaints that they have now lost access to the Android Amazon app which DID work vs the OS embedded app which doesn't, unless you're in Amazon account country. So the Shield is out for me too.

I'm not that interested in the Kodi aspect yet, nor other paid IPTV services. If I decide I need them I might look at the Shield again. Or pull the Fire TV out the cupboard. But even the free supplied AIS Playbox has the regular Google app store and even a volume control.

Sent using Tapatalk

I run the ThaiExpat.tv app on my Fire TV box. Easy to sideload pretty much anything on it and it works great. Much better than my Minix box - quicker and more reliable.
5k from Lazada. Didn't need to worry about how much customs would end up thieving from me.

I was lucky on the Customs front. Box took only 3 days to arrive from the UK and no charges from Customs.

Sent using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, SooKee said:

Netflix, Iflix and Amazon all offer services that will work in Thailand. It's just that the Fire TV, despite being an Amazon product, is NOT a supported device for Prime International. Something folks may not be aware of.

The Netflix and Amazon (International) content available directly in Thailand is, at least for now, a mere shadow of the much larger content libraries available on their U.S. domestic services. I don't know why anyone would want to settle for peanuts when you can have a steak buffet just as easily.

Whatever.  What it doesn't change is how the box works.  What's so difficult to understand that some folks SIMPLY DON'T WANT a VPN or whatever as they manage to fulfil their needs by other means.  I think part of the problem is you're too fixated on YOUR solution.  I'm not interested in paying for a VPN just because I can.

The comments I make relate to how well the box does/doesn't work in Thailand 'out of the box'.  There are always work arounds to almost anything.  Yours is one of them.  What it doesn't change is how the Fire TV works out of the box.  And in all honesty, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in convincing anyone why I prefer to do things my way rather than theirs.  I've better things to waste my time on.

I did have a play seeing if I could get iFlix working on it.  Nope.  It's a mobile specific app reliant on touch screen.  Won't work.  Messed about trying to use it through a browser too.  What a god awful experience that was.  Quite why anyone would want to load a browser on these things is beyond me.  I'm sure there's good reason but my experience with Firefox was dismal.  I'll stick with Apple TV for now.  Does everything I need and trying to replace it with something that can ALSO do Amazon Prime Video and iFlix isn't possible where the Fire is concerned and simply isn't worth the hassle (for me), when Airplay of both services is possible for the limited times I use them, rather than faffing about with apps that might or might not work on an Android box (I fully get now where folks are coming from when they talk about the problems of using a mobile phone based OS as an OS on a media player).

What I need to have is:

Plex

You Tube HD

Netflix

iFlix (possible with Airplay)

Amazon Prime (again, Airplay)

If I decide I need IPTV services I might go the box route but for now, I'll pass.  I have a Mac Mini server permanently hooked up to the TV as well with a Bluetooth Mouse  and keyboard so I may even just run the services I need that the Apple TV can do straight from that.  Might as well use the processing power that has rather than stick another box in the equation reliant on a mobile phone OS.

No way though I would buy the Fire TV for generic box use.  The Amazon UI is too intrusive, messing about side loading is more hassle than is needed when other devices can use the Google Play store for ease of both loading and updating.  I can see that some folks might be enticed by the specs and / or the remote but for me, there would be too much of a price to pay in having to contend with that UI and Amazon's drive to render apps useless, unusable and making rooting difficult if not impossible.  Unless you NEED that Amazon Prime I can't see a reason to get this over a Minix Neo U1 or a Shield.  I'll be selling mine soon.

I guess it's called Kodi  now,  not XBMC, FWIW :)

TallGuy:

does the  Playstation Vue service    include  any  kind of   HD storage and playback, I find  live TV all but unwatchable nowadays, and hence, would only watch PBS broadcasts, historically ......

2 hours ago, chubby said:

I guess it's called Kodi  now,  not XBMC, FWIW :)

TallGuy:

does the  Playstation Vue service    include  any  kind of   HD storage and playback, I find  live TV all but unwatchable nowadays, and hence, would only watch PBS broadcasts, historically ......

Right now, I have current subscriptions to SlingTV and DirecTV Now. I had a month or so trial of PS Vue late last year, but found it unwieldy/troublesome to use (because of some pretty serious restrictions on IP address changes) and not compelling vs. all the other current and coming alternatives.

That said, IIRC, the PS Vue service does have the ability within its UI to MARK current programs so that they can be saved and viewed later. That's a manual process you do by clicking a little icon on the program you're interested in. I don't recall off the top of my head how long such marked programs are saved for, but it's certainly long enough to view them.

[But re your post above, if you want to go and watch OLD/PAST PBS broadcasts, archival services like Hulu and Amazon Prime are better choices, since both I believe have past PBS content. With PS View, you can only save current content, not programs from last week or any time prior.]

SlingTV has launched a Cloud DVR service trial on its Roku platform, but they haven't expanded that to any of their other platforms. So right now, until Sling expands that, both Sling and DirecTV Now are pretty much the same in that various channels have varying look-back periods where shows are saved typically 3 or so days automatically. But the problem is, not all channels and individual shows are covered by that. For example, you can't go back and watch prior CNN and ESPN broadcasts via their look back functions, but you can for typical network TV prime time shows and such.

Within a year from now, based on their promises, I'd expect that both Sling and DirecTV Now will both have some variety of Cloud DVR functionality put into their mainstream services. But whether that will be free or at an added cost remains unknown, and likewise unknown is whether their coming Cloud DVR functionality will overcome the objections/exclusions of the various networks that don't participate now such as CNN and ESPN and others.

• 9 months later...

Amazon goes international to 100 countries, including Thailand, with a stripped down, non-Alexa, non-voice remote version of the Fire TV Stick:

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-releases-fire-tv-stick-basic-edition-in-over-100-countries/

It’s actually identical to the current 2nd generation Fire TV Stick, but it includes the original non-voice remote instead of an Alexa voice remote.

None of the hardware released today is new, but Amazon is repackaging existing hardware so that it can be made available across the world. The actually Fire TV Stick included in the Fire TV Stick Basic Edition package is the exact same Fire TV Stick that was released a year ago. The key difference is it comes with a non-voice remote, since supporting voice search, yet alone Alexa, in over 100 countries would be a monumental task.

Other than the inclusion of the old non-voice remote from the original Fire TV Stick, the other difference will be the software. While core functionality, like playing videos and running apps, will be present, you can expect some Fire TV features to be unavailable, like Alexa, FreeTime, and Shopping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETRGE68/

5a01cbd65760a_2017-11-0722_05_28.jpg.438e14b1cda25b90aaa1ff1d01cab3c6.jpg

Unfortunately for the locals here, no Thai language support, or any Asian language support, according to the Amazon website info.

Also, can't say for certain, but it appears that this stick supports the limited international version of Amazon Prime Video, since if you look at the Amazon website, the only videos promo'd are Amazon's own original series, which of course they have the international rights to.

5a027c24c4c1c_2017-11-0810_37.jpg.e5263a1919a987ec362853aa19113bb9.jpg

Not sure what would happen to its Amazon Prime Video content if someone tried to use this stick in the U.S. or with a U.S. internet connection...

Just dug my FTV2 out (kept as spare now) to see if the release of the newly announced Fire Stick International Basic (very!) had resulted in Prime Video (international) content now being accessible on the Fire TV2 also.  Somewhat unsurprisingly, that's a 'no'.  Whether it'll happen I'm not sure.  The author of AFTV News I suspect may be being overly optimistic (he has a tendency to be) when he comments "The release of the Fire TV Stick Basic Edition should mean that those of you with full-fledged Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks might start to see better support for your imported devices in countries where the regular hardware is not available."  I won't be holding my breath.  I'm not sure where the 'should' comes from in the comment, I guess a more accurate term might be 'might hope'; there's nothing around indicating that the international content capability is about to be extended to other devices.  

One thing that one might hope would happen is that if they really expect people to be shelling out for 1GB RAM, non-voice search enabled devices, is that the catalogue of the international service content will improve as Amazon's entry into the international streaming market has been less than stellar so far.  Over a year since launch and the variety of programmes available is still dismal really, so far behind Netflix it's not even worth comparing.  Wouldn't take more than a few months of membership to burn through the lot at the moment.

One thing I did notice is that in Preferences in the Fire TV 2 there are now a much wider range of time zone settings available such that you can actually now set GMT +7, albeit not a Bangkok listed timezone option.  Not sure when that came about, but recently for sure.

Perhaps the author's vague optimism is based on the notion that once Amazon extends the direct sales of this international Fire TV stick version to some 100 countries, it's at least a reasonable expectation that they're going to continue looking to expand their worldwide content licensing rights to support the device and try to catch up to Netflix on the international stage. Netflix, of course, had a head start in going international with video streaming, so it's hardly surprising that Amazon is trailing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for Canadian expats:

Amazon Echos, Alexa, and Prime Music launch in Canada

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-echos-alexa-and-prime-music-launch-in-canda/

About a week after adding Japan as the fifth country to receive Alexa and Echo devices, Amazon has now launched their voice assistant and smart speakers in Canada. In addition to Alexa and Echo devices, Amazon is also simultaneously launching Prime Music for all Canadian Prime members.

Unlike all other times when Alexa has become available in a new country, Canadian customers do not need to request an invitation to purchase the new hardware. Instead, three Echo devices are simply available for anyone to pre-order at introductory discounted prices.

The Amazon Echo is currently $99.99 CDN (~$78 USD), but will be $129.99 CDN (~$102 USD) after the introductory discount ends. The Amazon Echo Dot is $49.99 CDN (~$39 USD) and will eventually increase to $69.99 CDN (~$55 USD), and the Amazon Echo Plus is $169.99 CDN (~$133 USD) and will later increase to $199.99 CDN (~$156 USD). All devices will ship on December 5th.