12 year-old scammer or just a clown?

Chiengmaijoe

Just when you thought you'd seen it all! I popped into 7-11 on Thapae rd on the way home and a scallywag kid aged about 12 was in there looking like he was up to something. He bought a bottle of Hales red cordial , which I thought was a bit odd for that time of night, went outside and by the time I got out a minute later he had opened the bottle and smeared some on the side of his face to make it look like blood! I stood watching him for a minute or two to see <deleted> he was up to, then he got on his bicycle, wearing a reflective jacket and drove off and stopped outside Inter Bar. My guess was that he was trying to feign injury and after sympathy money. The only problem was the very strong sweet smell from the juice. Was he just crazy, or a scammer, I wonder. Too early for Halloween.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re

a scallywag kid aged about 12

he and his bike complete with a big red flashing light on the handlebars and a siren that sounds like a police or fire truck . all powered by a big battery has been around for about three months !

he seems to ride the moat circle between the top of loi kroh road and loco elvis and spends a lot of time around thaphae gate early evening using his siren and pizzing off the venders who set up in a line there most nights coz they look at him on his bike .... not at what they are selling :(

one group who sometimes play music there on saturday nights who i think are from a church told him to pizz off a few weeks ago as well

he seems like a cocky little sh## and his bikes not some cheapo from tesco with gears like that !

dave2

i dont do kids pics so heres some new graffiti :)

post-42592-0-74903500-1411780112_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

a scallywag kid aged about 12

he and his bike complete with a big red flashing light on the handlebars and a siren that sounds like a police or fire truck . all powered by a big battery has been around for about three months !

he seems to ride the moat circle between the top of loi kroh road and loco elvis and spends a lot of time around thaphae gate early evening using his siren and pizzing off the venders who set up in a line there most nights coz they look at him on his bike .... not at what they are selling sad.png

one group who sometimes play music there on saturday nights who i think are from a church told him to pizz off a few weeks ago as well

he seems like a cocky little sh## and his bikes not some cheapo from tesco with gears like that !

dave2

i dont do kids pics so heres some new graffiti smile.png

I think tomato sauce would smell worse than red cordial.. tongue.png

@Chiengmaijoe

You got as far as following him to where he stopped and then you have to guess what happened next. Why did you not stay and then be able to tell the rest of the story.

My guess is it's all BS.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

@Chiengmaijoe

You got as far as following him to where he stopped and then you have to guess what happened next. Why did you not stay and then be able to tell the rest of the story.

My guess is it's all BS.

Yep, the OP makes a lot of assumptions or guesses. TV imaginations are very active like a lot of old ladies gossiping over their back fences.

As it was hinted it was late at night. Often people think differently at that time of night and quite easy to fool them.

• Like 1

@Chiengmaijoe

My guess is it's all BS.

Great guess. You're quite right, my real name is Walter Mitty. Where can we meet so you can collect your prize? While we are playing games, my guess is that you are a retired detective, right?

I didn't ask him what he was up to because I was intrigued to see what he was going to do next. He could see me watching but he still proceeded with his smearing the juice and giving an injured look. I was expecting him to try and scam customers coming out of 7-11 but as it was, he got on his bicycle and pedalled off. I got in my car to go home, and of course I could see him ahead of me, then he stopped on the pavement near Inter Bar and was obscured by a parked car. It was about 1am and hardly anyone about.

My guess is that he was up to no good so the point of my post is to see if anyone else has seen this kid or heard of something similar going on. I've never heard of anything like this in Chiang Mai. Another odd detail is that he had a cyclists fluorescent jacket on, and a spare one in his hand? The cordial juice was 42 baht and I'm not sure, but I don't think he took the rest of the bottle with him, but there was a fair amount spilt on the side of the road. So far, it's a mystery, that's all.

@Chiengmaijoe

My guess is it's all BS.

Great guess. You're quite right, my real name is Walter Mitty. Where can we meet so you can collect your prize? While we are playing games, my guess is that you are a retired detective, right?

I didn't ask him what he was up to because I was intrigued to see what he was going to do next. He could see me watching but he still proceeded with his smearing the juice and giving an injured look. I was expecting him to try and scam customers coming out of 7-11 but as it was, he got on his bicycle and pedalled off. I got in my car to go home, and of course I could see him ahead of me, then he stopped on the pavement near Inter Bar and was obscured by a parked car. It was about 1am and hardly anyone about.

My guess is that he was up to no good so the point of my post is to see if anyone else has seen this kid or heard of something similar going on. I've never heard of anything like this in Chiang Mai. Another odd detail is that he had a cyclists fluorescent jacket on, and a spare one in his hand? The cordial juice was 42 baht and I'm not sure, but I don't think he took the rest of the bottle with him, but there was a fair amount spilt on the side of the road. So far, it's a mystery, that's all.

And a mystery it will have to remain as you didn't hang around to find out.

@Chiengmaijoe

My guess is it's all BS.

You're clearly a better detective than I am, but my guess is that having seen me watch him prepare his make-up he may not want to try out a scam, if that was his intention, while I'm watching.

Whether it remains a mystery or not is dependant on whether he has done anything like this before and whether anyone here has seen it or heard about it. Which of course was the purpose of my post, detective.

Why did you not ask him what he was up to ?,while you were

standing there watching him,then we would not have a mystery.

regards Worgeordie

What's wrong with a mystery? Hollywood would close overnight if no one was interested in mysteries and thousands of writers would be unemployed . Who doesn't like to settle down with a good whodunit?

I'm clearly not as good a detective as some here, but I was watching the drama unfold, so to speak, and I did think that if he was about to perpetrate some sort of a scam he might not be forthcoming with that information if I were to ask, or alternatively, he might be deterred from scamming someone whilst I was watching.

Outlandish thoughts I know, but I had already consumed two small beers, so you must bare that in mind.

Although this started out as a mystery, and may well stay that way, the multiple questions about my actions have changed the tone somewhat. Maybe we could turn this into a 'what would you do in this circumstance' type topic. You must bear in mind that I didn't have a stick to shake at him, although I guess most of you guys would have.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Wherever there is tourist areas, than there will be those out trying to coax money by any means possible.

Who knows or even cares what the kid was up to? Could be anything. Why did the OP bother following the kid to the Inter bar in the first place?

Sadly young children, even those of toddler ages have been exploited and abused in and around that septic Loi Kroh area since as far back as I can remember. Some are owned by mafia gangs or forced to try and earn money by the kids own families. Many of the children are denied a formal education and many fall victim to paedophiles. The children are abused, treated like soi dogs and are only seen as a means of making money.

This problem has been of low priority to the authorities, charities and the do gooders and so it continues.

• Like 1

Who knows or even cares what the kid was up to? Could be anything. Why did the OP bother following the kid to the Inter bar in the first place?

Nobody knows for sure, I just thought it was curious , but either way TVCM's finest are on the case. As regards to following the kid, who said I followed him? He cycled off and I got in my car and since Thapae is a one way street (most of the time) I headed in the same direction and noticed him stop near Inter bar as I passed by. As to who,cares? Well from the remainder of your post it appears that you at least have some concern for a young lad out alone, late at night either fooling about or attempting to scam someone.

Nobody knows for sure, I just thought it was curious , but either way TVCM's finest are on the case. As regards to following the kid, who said I followed him? He cycled off and I got in my car and since Thapae is a one way street (most of the time) I headed in the same direction and noticed him stop near Inter bar as I passed by. As to who,cares? Well from the remainder of your post it appears that you at least have some concern for a young lad out alone, late at night either fooling about or attempting to scam someone.

To try and explain in a way that even you may understand, these kids are not scammers and they are not clowning about.

They are in fact abused and exploited minors that in the west would be taken under the authority of the social services and the abusers of these children probably brought to task and incarcerated. But unfortunately here in Thailand, unless the authorities and so-called child protection agencies decide to take real enforceable actions and throw some resources into rescuing these kids, their welfare and actually start to take the plight of these desperate children seriously, than sadly there is not much we as individuals can do about it unless you are prepared to deal with the authorities, the Mafia that run these rackets, finance and home these children yourself.

Edited by Beetlejuice

re

Many of the children are denied a formal education

not quite true !

the garden of hope on loi kroh road used to try to help

some of the bar workers kids with some education which was run by ngo wives and girlfriends from somewhere who seemed to be mostly americans !

and experitainment bar / the empower foundation in chiang mai land tried help a lot of the burmese girls in all sorts of ways until the coup , when most of them left and went back to myanmar or cambodia

where they still are !

dave2

ps ... the garden of hope is now

yes .... another massage parlour :(

pps .... i remember seeing something strange one night between the boy and a family of tourists at thaphae gate about a week ago but im saying nothing about it coz i didnt see all of what went on

so i wouldnt knock the op any more coz i think he could well be right :)

post-42592-0-94701400-1411820511_thumb.j

post-42592-0-49681900-1411820569_thumb.j

To try and explain in a way that even you may understand, these kids are not scammers and they are not clowning about.

They are in fact abused and exploited minors that in the west would be taken under the authority of the social services and the abusers of these children probably brought to task and incarcerated. But unfortunately here in Thailand, unless the authorities and so-called child protection agencies decide to take real enforceable actions and throw some resources into rescuing these kids, their welfare and actually start to take the plight of these desperate children seriously, than sadly there is not much we as individuals can do about it unless you are prepared to deal with the authorities, the Mafia that run these rackets, finance and home these children yourself.

How did you get from 'who knows and even cares' to here, so quickly? The answer is you, apparently. Thanks for keeping it simple for me, much appreciated.

• Like 1

@Chiengmaijoe

My guess is it's all BS.

One has to wonder why this forum attracts so many, for lack of a more polite word, idiots. The op saw something he thought was strange, described it in

detail, and asked if anyone else had seen it and knew what it was. Normal people would suggest some reasonable ideas as to what it might have been. Perhaps some had even seen the boy in action, feigning an injury outside a bar, in front of a car, or whatever. But not the CM forum.

Edited by Awk
  • Like 1

re

Many of the children are denied a formal education

not quite true !

the garden of hope on loi kroh road used to try to help

some of the bar workers kids with some education which was run by ngo wives and girlfriends from somewhere who seemed to be mostly americans !

and experitainment bar / the empower foundation in chiang mai land tried help a lot of the burmese girls in all sorts of ways until the coup , when most of them left and went back to myanmar or cambodia

where they still are !

dave2

ps ... the garden of hope is now

yes .... another massage parlour sad.png

pps .... i remember seeing something strange one night between the boy and a family of tourists at thaphae gate about a week ago but im saying nothing about it coz i didnt see all of what went on

so i wouldnt knock the op any more coz i think he could well be right smile.png

All that I have mentioned in my previous posts still stands.

I know all about the empower foundation in Chiang Mai Land called the Can Do Bar. I would love to hear from a NGO spokesperson regarding that bar to let us know exactly what purpose it serves now? What it does and who it helps rather than being just jobs for the lads?

The Garden of Hope tried to help? Totally irrelevant considering it failed.

I am not intentionally knocking the OP, I totally disagree that these abused children should be classified as scammers and clowns, because whatever they do is by no fault on their part, circumstances have placed them into these situations and therefore I in no way consider the OP as making any good points at all.

All I have is heartfelt sympathy for these children who are placed in dire and no hope situations right from the start, with only bleak futures for them ahead.

Edited by Beetlejuice

@Chiengmaijoe

My guess is it's all BS.

So he fooled you at 1:00 in the morning. You thought he was going to scam 7/11 customers. As I said some people see things different at 1:00 in the morning.

• Like 1

I hate this kid with a passion. We get pizza from time to time at the small pizza shop outside of IMM Hotel and that little punk is usually there harassing people sitting outside and even sometimes inside McDonalds.

The last time I was there, I went upstairs to use the loo at McDonalds and the kid follows me up the stairs playing a freaking wooden flute. I'm thinking, please don't come into the bathroom, and that is exactly what he did as soon as I started to urinate. So there I stand taking a pee and he walks up next to me to pee and asks me if I speak Thai. Now, at this point I am uncomfortable talking to him in the bathroom with my penis hanging out, as there is no telling what kind of set up this could be, so I'm trying to hurry it up and ignore him. Then he asks me if I had a large penis in Thai! Then in English! Then again, louder, then louder. Then he starts laughing. I bolted out of there as the last thing I need is some Thai kid speaking loudly about my penis in a bathroom. Just a bad situation to be in.

I told the manager at McDonalds they should keep him out of there, but they don't. I've seen him sit down with people eating and literally start eating their fries.

Little punk. Unfortunately, he is going to grow up into a big punk.

@Chiengmaijoe

My guess is it's all BS.

So he fooled you at 1:00 in the morning. You thought he was going to scam 7/11 customers. As I said some people see things different at 1:00 in the morning.

Yes, after two small beers I didn't even know which way was up.