62 Days in Thailand. What to do?

Greetings.

November 16 I will set foot on Thai ground and 61 days later, on January 16, I will fly home. Like previous times I'll be a tourist.

Now what kind of visa do you suggest I get? A single- or double-entry tourist visa (60 days per entry) or something entirely different?

Last month I crossed the Dannok border to Malaysia for some cross-border shopping and I was almost refused re-entry. I actually had to have my passport stamps voided to get back into Thailand.

16/11 to 16/1 is 62 days. You need a single entry tourist visa. For the extra 2 days you can get an extension Bt 1,900 or pay overstay fine Bt 1,000. The latter do not have any consequence and does not prevent you from returning to Thailand or getting a visa in the future.

And what about a visa run? Let's say that I cross the border one week before my visa expires. Will I get a visa exemption for 15 days or will the immigration officers downright refuse me to re-enter the country (if I exit and enter Thailand on the same day)?

I don't need thirty days when I cross the border. It will be in the ending phase of my stay, so 15 days would be more than enough. I'm simply afraid that with a single-entry tourist visa for 60 days, I would not be allowed to make a border-run and be left stranded in Malaysia, which is where I want to cross the border.

The number of days you will get is decided by regulations and are fixed.

You can do a border run, again the point is that you have an easy way to avoid that by paying Bt 1,900 at any immigration office or Bt 1,000 fine when leaving at the airport. Dannok is possibly the worst border posts in Thailand so I don't see why one wants to go there when there is an alternative.

Edited by paz

You don't understand. I will be in Dannok, not for only a border run, but as a destination in itself. I plan on staying at least a night or three there, and I will also be visiting other places in the deep south.

Also, to my knowledge, a straight border run is currently IMPOSSIBLE, with the new regulations being strictly enforced.

I'm not taking any chances. No bribery either. I've had a VERY unpleasant experience already at the Dannok border and was almost formally extradited from Thailand. I think I should stay one or two nights in Malaysia, Alor Setar or Changlun for example, before attempting to re-enter Thailand, don't you think?

But I like Dannok. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

It was like a mini-Pattaya to me. There were so many ladies to choose from and the vibe was different from Pattaya but very nice anyway. It felt nice to be the only farang as well. Also, I <deleted> a karaoke girl one night and we're still in touch with each other. I want to 'meet' her again.

Edited by ubonjoe

But I like Dannok. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

It was like a mini-Pattaya to me. There were so many ladies to choose from and the vibe was different from Pattaya but very nice anyway. It felt nice to be the only farang as well. Also, I <deleted> a karaoke girl one night and we're still in touch with each other. I want to 'meet' her again.

Take your chances then

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am confused, why not just go to immigration office and get a stamp. Ubonjoe is he thinking to much ?

Because I don't want to pay a &lt;deleted&gt;' 1900 baht for two days? I will be in the south of Thailand (travelling from Hat Yai to Narathiwat) anyway, with a probable overnight visit to Dannok or Sungai Kolok.

I wonder why you just do not leave on the 60th day. Big pain in the ass for just one more day. You are already parinoid just from thinking about it.

Stupid remark. I booked my ticket long ago and cannot just leave two days earlier. Not for a premium price at least.rolleyes.gif

And what about a visa run? Let's say that I cross the border one week before my visa expires. Will I get a visa exemption for 15 days or will the immigration officers downright refuse me to re-enter the country (if I exit and enter Thailand on the same day)?

If you have a 60 day permission to stay and you're worried about the extra two day overstay, just go to immigrations anytime during your last 30 days and apply for a 30 day extension. Not really necessary for 2 days, but cheaper than travelling to cross a border with the extra potential expense of a visa to the neighboring country.

When you go to immigrations is immaterial. The extra 30 days would be added on from the end of your current 60 day permission.

Edited by Suradit69

I am now thinking seriously about overstaying my visa. My homeward flight departs on the second day after my 60-day visa expires, but at 1.45 AM. What kind of fine can I expect at the airport? I've read that the first day of overstaying generally doesn't get charged and since my flight departs after less than 2 hours on the second day, is there a chance they'll me let go for free??

If you show up at immigration at 23:50 you will have one day overstay and will not be fined.

Excellent! So an overstay it will be. No needing to worry about visa extensions or visa runs. I don't think I'm gonna cross a border anyway. In my current planning I will be in Dannok for about a week, either late November or early December, but I will treat it as a destination in itself, basically just like last time. smile.png

Edited by MarcelV

If you show up at immigration at 23:50 you will have one day overstay and will not be fined.

Excellent! So an overstay it will be. No needing to worry about visa extensions or visa runs. I don't think I'm gonna cross a border anyway. In my current planning I will be in Dannok for about a week, either late November or early December, but I will treat it as a (mongering) destination in itself, basically just like last time. smile.png

Why do you have a need to share that last bit with the world? I can't imagine anyone here being very impressed you can buy a number of women in a border town.