US businessmen want ASEAN to reform customs

Lite Beer

US businessmen want ASEAN to reform customs
By Digital Content

14117947622809-640x390x1.jpg

NEW YORK, Sept 27 -- Leading US businesspeople want Thailand and other member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to undertake reform on customs procedures, reduce corporate tax and to enforce laws efficiently and with transparency.

They also want to see development of workers in the region to cater to industrial expansion, especially after the implementation of ASEAN Community (AEC), due to commence by end-2015.

Senior executives from more than 130 leading American firms which are members of the US-ASEAN Business Council (USABC) and are currently doing business in Thailand and other ASEAN member countries held a breakfast meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragon in New York on Friday and expressed these requests during the meeting.

Gen Tanasak reportedly told them that he had met USABC chairman in July and is pleased to welcome its members planning to visit Thailand this November.

He said the interim Thai government is now moving along the roadmap to improve democracy in Thailand outlined by the National Council for Peace and Order, which seized power in the country following the May 22 bloodless coup.

Some of the laws in Thailand such as customs tax could be amended, while industrial production would be improved by the government, said Gen Tanasak.

It is a good opportunity for foreign businesspeople to invest in Thailand and other ASEAN members before the implementation of AEC, he said, adding that the Thai government is working hard to guide the “country moving forward during the transition period.”

Asking the businessmen to believe in his assurances, Gen Tanasak said, “Thailand would have a brighter prospect in the near future.” (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-27

• Like 1

He said the interim Thai government is now moving along the roadmap to improve democracy in Thailand outlined by the National Council for Peace and Order, which seized power in the country following the May 22 bloodless coup.

Please go and ask the ordinary folks, if they know what ASEAN is. Neither my father in law, a farmer in lower north east, nor most other villagers have an idea what's going to happen soon. Or maybe not happens. Or both.

US businessmen from Disneyworld? That makes sense.

Brain and bloodless coup. The hub of............facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I have nothing but praise for the Thai Custom Officials in Mae Sot (TAK). Efficient, Courteous, Professional and most important No B.S. when I import material from Myanmar. I've dealt with Thai Custom Officials in Klong Toei also, again No Problems. Professional and Courteous. thumbsup.gif

Look for the stolen money first.

I don't want Asia to become like the USA or Europe, all becoming work slave with 3 jobs a day and they can not even pay food or rent.

Don't listen at these crazy farang politicians , they want come to thailand just to make billions and leave after they have sucked your oil.

Say NO to USA, NO to europe. Thai must learn that there is no easy way. It s time to go back farming, iphone 6 will not make you rich and happy. Do not listen western politicians, they all lie and can not pay their debt. They just print money.

your avatar speaks volumes, the days of the hippies are long gone,they are all bankers now

• Like 1

Look for the stolen money first.

I don't want Asia to become like the USA or Europe, all becoming work slave with 3 jobs a day and they can not even pay food or rent.

Don't listen at these crazy farang politicians , they want come to thailand just to make billions and leave after they have sucked your oil.

Say NO to USA, NO to europe. Thai must learn that there is no easy way. It s time to go back farming, iphone 6 will not make you rich and happy. Do not listen western politicians, they all lie and can not pay their debt. They just print money.

Right on Brother: Right back at ya, Power to the people!

Ok, some readers let's keep the West out, those with modern technologies and the potenial to create jobs and modernize the infostructure. 200 % TARIFF on vehicles is smart,I think not. Does Thailand build ships, produce steel,water conservation for farming and power, ( check the flooding sats), export solar panels, medical equipment, etc... Yes, let us continue to have the red shirts and yellow shirts burn Bangkok, the South killing teachers and blowing-up buildings, oh yes, keep the West out. What planet are you from? But hea!, you all like your cell phones and facebook.

• Like 2

It seems that some people have never been to other South East countries, travel to Singapore, Japan or India. Slaves with three jobs, perhaps but at least they go to work to have nice things for their family and contribute to growth, not depending on robbing tourist or the sex trade. Waiting for a Frang to buy farms and support a village, yes were're so bad. Enjoying your computer and the chips that drive it, huh! bad West. As a last note I haven't seen a WESTERN country as part of the ASEAN system, be weary of CHINA big brother and enjoy their style of civil rights. Next time you have noddles, check where the bowl was made!

Right on Brother: Right back at ya, Power to the people!

• Like 1

So a bunch of Americans want to see ASEAN reform customs and reduce corporate tax.

Maybe a load of Chinese from China also want to see the same thing.

ASEAN, you're suppose to make rules that will benefit your own countries, not America or other outsiders. One of the main points of ASEAN, surely, is that ASEAN can collectively negotiate against America and others on trade. A little country like Thailand is not big enough to win a trade dispute or trade war against America. But ASEAN collectively, might survive a trade war.

A trade war, countries are only willing to open up their domestic markets to other countries who are also willing to open up. And most countries DON'T want imports that will hurt their own producers, hence, got to put up barriers against certain imports, but you can only do this if you are strong or 'big'.

If Thai will use brain of westerners then this is just good start of modern slavery which is flowering back there and specially at USA Australia and some Europeans countries.

As much as I learned about this country and it's Kings ideas which he spent entire life I believe Thailand can do much better without external "IDEAS".

If general is trying to make Thai happy again then it will happened but without foreign influence.

If Thailand manage so far to exist with so huge corruption then Thailand have a big chance to go forward now using own brain without external leaches .

For me it smell ..."Trojan horse"coffee1.gifwai2.gif

If Thai will use brain of westerners then this is just good start of modern slavery which is flowering back there and specially at USA Australia and some Europeans countries.

As much as I learned about this country and it's Kings ideas which he spent entire life I believe Thailand can do much better without external "IDEAS".

If general is trying to make Thai happy again then it will happened but without foreign influence.

If Thailand manage so far to exist with so huge corruption then Thailand have a big chance to go forward now using own brain without external leaches .

For me it smell ..."Trojan horse"coffee1.gifwai2.gif

As you admit in your penultimate paragraph Thailand exists despite massive corruption. When will they use their own brains to reduce that corruption or do you think it doesn't matter? Perhaps you are also overconfident about Thailand going it alone - it has been flourishing because of foreign investment and is part of the world which it needs for its own survival.

However you are right Thailand needs and should find its own path but it would be ignorant not to benefit from the experiences and mistakes of many societies far more advanced than themselves. Unfortunately the misguided superiority mentality of most Thais does not lead them to think in a way most beneficial for their own country. Most are so selfish anyway they care little for the Thailand past the brainwashed nationalism instilled in them yet with no thought of wrong for chucking their waste everywhere and stealing the money from the treasury or anywhere they can get their greedy grubby little hands on it.

Edited by slipperx