Stop Handing Me Change Balanced On Notes and Receipt

bowerboy

Do you know, I’ve been trying to think how they give change in the UK,

but carn’t remember for sure.

Do they count out the change into your hand?…I think so.

Have a Nice Day.

That was back in the day before electronic tills. Now, what with computers, and VAT, and decimilisation, they give you the change largest denomination first.

It used to bother me - the stacking of the coins on top of the notes - but I can't remember why. Now, I put the change in my pocket, the notes in my wallet, the receipt in with the shopping, and carry on with my day as if it was all just part of the whole 'normal' shopping experience.

SC

Well I would like to get the change so I can put it away in my wallet or purse together with any stamps

Then I would like the receipt so I could place it in a bag do that if the security man wants a check it's easy to find

Is that so hard to do?

I would gamble that if the cashier used this simple process it would speed transaction up enormously

Jeeze, and I'd like peace on earth also!

How difficult can it be to understand that this isn't Kansas, it's not back home and things don't work the same way, it's a different country with all that entails, goodness me.

There there time for your nap now.

Dont get too dis chuffed or let it get too you and if you want peace on Earth maybe you could do your bit to help it on like not being so pedantic , like in your post .

I posted on the OP thread and totally agree with him, whats wrong with that or did you get out of bed the wrong way today. (NAQ)

I was merelyanswering the other guys question or have you stopped reading all the posts in a thread

Edited by n210mp

If the poster was a considerate person he would make sure he has ample and the correct change so he could hand it to them in any manner that PLEASES HIMSELF then he would NEVER EVER have this situation happen again....maybe he could tutor the clerks on his approved/improved/clearly superior methods of handling pocket change....problem solved

In normal countries where forward thinking of more than 0.5 seconds is possible they hand you the notes first and the coins when YOU are READY to receive them. You take the notes with your right hand and transfer them to your left hand (unless you are a woman in which case you carefully place them in your purse with complete disregard for other people waiting) and then put out your right hand to receive the coins which then go in your pocket...its done that way pretty much everywhere in the world apart from here.

What happens here is: Count the notes once, count them again, make sure they are head facing up, count them again...flick them then give them one final count or maybe two to be on the safe side in case you got it wrong the first 5 times. Then take the receipt and place it on top, then put the stamps or coupons on top of that, then dump the coins on top like a cherry...then hand to customer in full knowledge that its a mess that they are likely to fumble and drop....watch people fumble and drop your change bomb all day long.....repeat ad infinitum without ever thinking it may be wrong or awkward in any way and without the problem ever registering in any way...ask colleaugue what they had for lunch, what they will have for afternoon snack, whether breakfast was delicious, what they think of the noodles on the corner, have they eaten yet etc etc etc.

Edited by bowerboy

I've been here more than a few years - have not witnessed anyone ahead of me fumble/drop change - nor have I either....

Humbly suggest you use a debit card - or get an assistant/medication to help you through this tramatic time.....

Otherwise - get/have a life if this is all you can be bothered about......enjoy your hissy fit......

Maybe you're not right for this, (any), country - it doesn't "fit" in your parameters.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

I get bored of this as well. I slide the change into my other hand before picking up what ever I have bought, fold the notes into my wallet, hand them back the receipt and walk out. If you go regularly to a shop like my local 7/11 they quickly get the message and don't do the receipt, notes first then change. I count the notes still though....

• 4 weeks later...

Simple way is to give them the correct amount = no coins returned

most appear to love it when you can round the bill up to a note, also gets rid of all the little coins.......... who wants a pocket full of .25 or .50 coins, or for that matter a load of 1 baht coins ?

Used to live in a country just like that. Rare to get coins in change as they would round the bill up or down. One time you win next maybe loose. Only the equivalent of 5 baht either way and evened itself out over time. Problem is after reading some topics on here the thought of having a bill rounded up and loosing 25 satang in change would push some people over the edge.

I meant for the OP to round it up, so if the bill is 303.50 baht, use the change in you pocket to round it off to 300 baht, so if paying with 1,000 bill will get 700 baht back with NO coins balanced on notes..

When I try that method, it usually confuses the hell out of the cashier.

They end up giving me back the small change that I offered to them, and continue processing the transaction as originally planned by their cash register.

For them, you've created a worse problem: it makes you "think too mut..."

I went to pay my local internet yesterday. The bill was THB 631 and, not wanting too many notes in my wallet I offered THB 1000, THB 100 & THB 20 (x2) expecting to receive a THB 500 note back plus a few coins. You can guess the rest....

(The bloke was around 30 with no comprehension, even when prompted. I learned the 'giving change/mental arithmetic' thing at 14 on a market stall while still at school!)

Edited by evadgib

Simple way is to give them the correct amount = no coins returned

most appear to love it when you can round the bill up to a note, also gets rid of all the little coins.......... who wants a pocket full of .25 or .50 coins, or for that matter a load of 1 baht coins ?

Used to live in a country just like that. Rare to get coins in change as they would round the bill up or down. One time you win next maybe loose. Only the equivalent of 5 baht either way and evened itself out over time. Problem is after reading some topics on here the thought of having a bill rounded up and loosing 25 satang in change would push some people over the edge.

I meant for the OP to round it up, so if the bill is 303.50 baht, use the change in you pocket to round it off to 300 baht, so if paying with 1,000 bill will get 700 baht back with NO coins balanced on notes..

When I try that method, it usually confuses the hell out of the cashier.

They end up giving me back the small change that I offered to them, and continue processing the transaction as originally planned by their cash register.

For them, you've created a worse problem: it makes you "think too mut..."

I went to pay my local internet yesterday. The bill was THB 631 and, not wanting too many notes in my wallet I offered THB 1000, THB 100 & THB 20 (x2) expecting to receive a THB 500 note back plus a few coins. You can guess the rest....

(The bloke was around 30 with no comprehension, even when prompted. I learned the 'giving change/mental arithmetic' thing at 14 on a market stall while still at school!)

Perhaps the bloke in question had never worked on a market stall.

I guess if he was the sort of bloke that could work out that sort of thing for himself he'd not be working the cash register at the age of 30. If you want something specific in the change, my recommendation is to say what you want "Can you give me a five hundred in the change", or "Can you give me the change in coins for the parking meter".

Everyone in the shop I worked at in my school days was quite surprised when I showed them how the cash register could calculate the change required; we never used it, though

SC