Cambodia. To go or not to go?

zierf1

I am torn between trying to deal with the visa hassles in Thailand and just moving entirely to Cambodia. I can't do the overstay shit in Thailand anymore. I don't like visa hassles either. The ed visa and marriage extentions are cumbersome and expensive. Cambodia appeals to me and I've been there many times. Question is, can I find a decent apartment there for $100 a month? I don't need aircon but I MUST have wifi as my income comes entirely from the internet. I will also need a source of cheap local food. And how will I get around? I will need to buy a motorbike or bycycle in order to travel around town cheaply(is this possible?). Doing this all, I feel like I'm planning to live on Mars. But I need to do it as getting a visa in Thailand is just sooooo difficult long term. 2-3 months is okay for Thailand but longer than that it just becomes too much hassle.

Have you been to SV? Are you sure you want to live there? I would prefer PP but that's just me.

Seeing the inside of an apartment gives you no idea what the neighbors and neighborhood are like.

FWIW in PP I think the Russian Market area is a budget area for expats.

Cambo doesn't have the public transportation that Thailand has. I would at least want a scooter.

• Like 1

Have you been to SV? Are you sure you want to live there? I would prefer PP but that's just me.

Seeing the inside of an apartment gives you no idea what the neighbors and neighborhood are like.

FWIW in PP I think the Russian Market area is a budget area for expats.

Cambo doesn't have the public transportation that Thailand has. I would at least want a scooter.

Yeah, many times. I'm wondering if it is possible to buy a motorbike there as a foreigner? Otherwise I will need to rely on local motorbike guys(can be expensive if you don't haggle hard). I always have to bargain hard when I'm in Cambodia. If you don't you will get eaten alive.

I am torn between trying to deal with the visa hassles in Thailand and just moving entirely to Cambodia. I can't do the overstay shit in Thailand anymore. I don't like visa hassles either. The ed visa and marriage extentions are cumbersome and expensive. Cambodia appeals to me and I've been there many times. Question is, can I find a decent apartment there for $100 a month? I don't need aircon but I MUST have wifi as my income comes entirely from the internet. I will also need a source of cheap local food. And how will I get around? I will need to buy a motorbike or bycycle in order to travel around town cheaply(is this possible?). Doing this all, I feel like I'm planning to live on Mars. But I need to do it as getting a visa in Thailand is just sooooo difficult long term. 2-3 months is okay for Thailand but longer than that it just becomes too much hassle.

huh"

IF ur married or over 50 the visa in Thailand is cheaper ( $285 Cambodia vs $182/year) yes there are more hoops to jump thru but not a hassle.

decent apt for under $100 NO WAY but than it depends on what u mean by decent. figure a room will cost ya $150-200 and u pay for electric

Internet via smart phone or a dongle everywhere and inexpensive.

Easy to buy a motorbike an prices on par with Thailand, DL easy to get if u have another country license, cost ya about $50/year vs (Thailand $16/5 years)

Yes plenty of cheap local food but not even close to the quality u get in Thailand

example chicken & rice Cambodia $2 and mostly bones, Thailand 40-50 baht an all chicken

• Like 2

Hi,

There are a few who have taken Thai wives to Siem Reap in Cambodia that I know but usually to open a business.

They still must follow the laws of Cambodia and have the correct visa in place for extension of stay, and of course, a fee is involved.

I think SV is a dump but that is only personal opinion. PP and SR are better places to be. Many foreigners in SR use bicylcles as the place isn't really that big and you can easily get around on one. SR also allows you easier access back to the border with Thailand for your wife's benefit and ease of travellling home.

You may be able to get a room in a shared house at that kind of money but you will be lucky to get anything decent on your own at $100 unless you are way out in the sticks and remote from everything. Wi fi is in abundance in resort or city areas of Cambodia.

Edited by Cruz101
  • Like 1

It's worth a try, for me the only drawback with Cambodia is , that I found it quite dirty, everywhere you go, loads of Garbage lying around, but people nice and friendly.....

Hi,

I think you are right on that score but the Thais can be just as bad in that department.

Cambodia still has a long way to go and to teach its citizens to clean and look after their country and not just throw things around. Siem Reap has a cleaning up the streets campaign regularly, but it is mainly done by foreigners. I don't join in, as I know for a fact I don't make the mess and the likes of those that do are noticeable by their absence.

To get good standards of hygiene in both these countries you have protect the space around yourself keeping it clean and tidy, by yourself, as nobody else will.

Since you are married, the visa hassles here aren't too bad. They are a bit of a pain, but not horrible. If you find this too much to take, I think you'll find the mess in Cambodia harder to deal with. Terrible traffic, poor infrastructure, more corruption (if you can believe it!), and more crime. I was afraid to walk in many areas after dark, and was actually advised by expats there not to do so.

I doubt your Thai wife will want to live there. I've spoken with quite a few who either live there now or work there. I have 2 friends who work there. One lives here and just commutes every week. The other is back in Thailand every chance he has, and has a home here.

I think a trip over there for a week to check things out would be in order. If you make your money off the internet, you'll really have to investigate this closely. It's dodgy at times even here in Thailand! Depending on where you are....

http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/07/7-reasons-why-you-really-shouldnt-move-to-cambodia/

IF ur married or over 50 the visa in Thailand is cheaper ( $285 Cambodia vs $182/year) yes there are more hoops to jump thru but not a hassle.

marriage and retirement visa is 1900 baht/year which is $60. where did you get $182 from?

PLUS:

3,800 for a 1 year multi re entry permit ( as in Cambodia the $285 is for multi entry)

Edited by phuketrichard

Wow. Just found one. $100 a month, wifi, tv. http://www.sihanoukvilleproperty.com/more/product/741

I wonder how other guys are living there. Do you own a motorbike? Where to buy food? Can I bring my Thai wife to live there?

I have three friends who live in Cambodia--two in Seville and one in PP. So, this is only hearsay. However, as I understand it, visas are no problem, you simply pay by the year--that includes Thai wife too. Housing is as cheap as Thailand, so even though cheap, $100/mo is possible. Civil and technological infrastructure is not as good as Thailand, so your internet access may be sporadic. PP is probably best for ISPs. All three have motorbikes, so that seems not a problem. Food is also as cheap as Thailand if not as plentiful. Friends in Seville say the Western food is cheap and good. However, why don't you just go check it out ?

I don't feel your Thai wife will like the separation from family and friends for a long period without you having a business for her to do or similar distraction. Thais love it for three or four days as it's different but then miss home.

I don't know where you live but if the visas is the main issue, why not relocate and live in one of the Isaarn visa towns/ cities such as Khonkaen,Sakon Nakhon or Khorat where they grant visas and extensions and you are not far for reporting as well as having your internet and cheap accommodation.

Food is a higher standard for fruit and vegetables in Thailand. Electricity is more expensive in Cambodia. If the 400,000 baht is the problem then yes, consider CAMBODIA. Healthcare is a major concern.

Well if you been there many times you should know better if you can find that kind of apartment. I been there once for 6 days and I was sick of the place after 3 days. No proper food, very poor, and more expensive. I think the visa hassle worth being in Thailand. The only positive thing I found in Cambodia was that the people were very nice for the time being. You never know if they also change once lots of foreigners land up there.

• Like 1

I personally find Siem Reap a bit too hot during most of the year. SHV is considerably cooler plus has pretty good air as compared to PP. Air polution in PP is not as bad as BKK but they are working on it. SR has this constant tourist influx and that might be a disadvantage while the good flight connections are nice. Local SR expats can tell you more about the impact of the package tourists and the backpack crowd.

Food. I visited Thailand this April and I found the food not so great anymore. Eating in the street places I tasted a lot of stuff like too much oil etc I dont like. More MSG than Cambodia? Difficult to say but my taste had changed. I usually cook on my own and thus have control over what is in my meals. This was a little alarm bell. In Isaan I came across GMO tomatoes and I had a hard time finding something else.

Basically you can get most of the same food stuff in Cambodia at the same quality and price as in Thailand. I like that cheese is cheaper in Cambodia (SHV much less than PP by the way). Bakery products as well. Street food is as good as in Thailand - if not better - once you have settled in and know your territory. I should add that I dont like it to spicy so the Cambodian way of letting the customer decide on the pile of chili added is perfect for me. Some Thai favorites I miss badly but then Cambodia has all that Vietnamese food you have a hard time to come by in THailand.

Seafood. SHV is an option not worse than Thailand were seafood simply means in the water (from the farm and frozen).

Cheaper farang restaurants are common knowledge but there are also some very good Khmer places, usually local Chinese, who do excellent food for maybe 2 USD more than other places and produce a cuisine that makes you return. Such places in Thailand would cost you an arm and a leg. In Cambodia they are a steal.

Perhaps a remark about language. English is pretty common in the three big places and some lesses frequented locations.

Another perspective would be to view staying in Cambodia like being in Isaan or another bit remote province. You have all the advantages of the relatively developed 3 centres (which you dont have in Isaan) plus can visit BKK practically overnite by bus or by a day's ride or a cheap flight.

Many seem to imagine that they turn their back on Thailand and end up behind an iron curtain. Nope, it there and for as little as 450 baht (involving an overnite ride) you can go from BKK to PP and vice versa. A bit more if you like more comfort or speed. So no huge difference in going from Udon, Ubon, CR to BKK than PP or SR to BKK.

• Like 2

At the turn of the year I had a nice room in Sihanukville for $60/ month with good internet connection. Returning in June that apartment block was full but I soon found another room for $100/ month in a really quiet area with good internet.

Your best bet would be to stay someplace like Snookys Gh ($150/ month) or Charlie Harpers for the 1st month & have a look around, talk to some expats & you will soon find a decent appartment & be able to decide if the town suits you. Personally I'd probably go up to the $150/ month bracket & get an appartment with fridge freezer, cooking facilities etc.

Personally I really like Sihanukville but some people also hate the place. For good Western food at unbelieable cheap prices head to Victory Hill where you will get a great meal for $2.

You can buy a motorbike fairly easily but make sure it's got all the paperwork, personally I find cycling around much more enjoyable & I don't have the hassles of cops always looking for "tea money"

I love living & traveling in Cambodia but many Thai expats relocating find it too dirty & 3rd worldish. Thai women who have came here with their foreign partners generally really enjoy it for a holiday but not many of them are happy to settle here for good. Certainly decent healthcare is a problem.

Depending on your lifestyle Cambodia can be much cheaper than Thailand. Draft beer is 15 baht/ glass, decent cigarettes 10 baht packet & once you know your way around food (especially Western food) is much cheaper.

Siam Reap also has it's advocates but I get bored there too quickly. Some swear by Phnom Penh but I've never liked the hassles of living in a big city.

One thing to note the business (or ordinary) visa is going up in price from $25 to $35 from 1st October - whether there's any plans to increase the prices of extensions in the near future, no one really knows.

Excellent post! IMHO.

wai2.gif

At the turn of the year I had a nice room in Sihanukville for $60/ month with good internet connection. Returning in June that apartment block was full but I soon found another room for $100/ month in a really quiet area with good internet.

Your best bet would be to stay someplace like Snookys Gh ($150/ month) or Charlie Harpers for the 1st month & have a look around, talk to some expats & you will soon find a decent appartment & be able to decide if the town suits you. Personally I'd probably go up to the $150/ month bracket & get an appartment with fridge freezer, cooking facilities etc.

Personally I really like Sihanukville but some people also hate the place. For good Western food at unbelieable cheap prices head to Victory Hill where you will get a great meal for $2.

You can buy a motorbike fairly easily but make sure it's got all the paperwork, personally I find cycling around much more enjoyable & I don't have the hassles of cops always looking for "tea money"

I love living & traveling in Cambodia but many Thai expats relocating find it too dirty & 3rd worldish. Thai women who have came here with their foreign partners generally really enjoy it for a holiday but not many of them are happy to settle here for good. Certainly decent healthcare is a problem.

Depending on your lifestyle Cambodia can be much cheaper than Thailand. Draft beer is 15 baht/ glass, decent cigarettes 10 baht packet & once you know your way around food (especially Western food) is much cheaper.

Siam Reap also has it's advocates but I get bored there too quickly. Some swear by Phnom Penh but I've never liked the hassles of living in a big city.

One thing to note the business (or ordinary) visa is going up in price from $25 to $35 from 1st October - whether there's any plans to increase the prices of extensions in the near future, no one really knows.

Just a minor correction - from tomorrow the ordinary visa goes up from $20 to $30.

Short and sweet - in my opinion, Cambodia sucks. Try Dominican Republic.

Your also not saving any money. Factor in crap food like noodle soup made of ramen and dishes with nill nutritional value and no spice or flavoring where each dish cost 2-3 times more then Thailand.

That really adds up each month, so add at least $150 a month more to the savings you think your getting on rent if you can do street stalls.

The HIV and STD rate there is also sky high. Also a catalog of many other contractable diseases you may not need to actively worry about in Thailand on a daily basis.

You will slso need to be ready to fly back into Bangkok to diagnose and treat them, so have a plan ready especially if your going solo.

Siem Reap was the one passable place where I would consider staying long term if I had too, like for visa issues. There is some good mountain biking and Angkor Wat and a somewhat Chiang Mai type vibe.

Stay away from Sihanoukville, it sucks.

Edited by fey

A side issue for Sihanoukville is that it is a small beach community. If your living there or walking around a lot you will be known by the police, tuk tuks and sketchy locals quite well and will slso be mmown to them as a pretty wealthy individual.

The authorities are quite corrupt and there is no genuine law enforcement or other recourse like you would have in Thailand should someone make a problem for you.