Most people happy with the junta

Lite Beer

Only negative thing my friends talk about is the low rice price, they don't understand that the government can't buy rice for 200% of the market price... my friends are teachers and still can't understand that Thailand is not the one setting the worldmarket price!!!

Just to point out retail rice price is currently 500% of farmers sale price.

I have a smell area of rice paddy, haven't planted it for two years, not worth the effort.

Most farmers I know (family members and neighbours) would stop growing tomorrow, if they weren't desperate for money.

They don't have the option of selling rice direct to the consumer as the local Mafia rice mill would burn them out.

Thailand is a gang culture, and unless the army (big gang) starts breaking up the smaller gangs (that control everything), the people at the bottom of the ladder cannot prosper.

Do you understand that there is a difference in the rice that they sell in Big C and the rice that the farmer sell to the mill?

The farmer sell his paddy rice to the mill for about $180/ton.

Then the mill mills the rice and lose about 30% for example rice bran and so on. And the mill also use machinery, electricity and pay for workers.

Then the mill sell the rice to a company like Big C.

The world market price in July for 100% B grade (<20% broken) was about $430/ton compared with $530 2013.

Then the company pack, transport and sell it at stores and add to the price with vat, salaries and so on...

That is what makes the difference in price!

I know farmers growing 100% organic rice who are selling paddy rice for up to $700/ton. But that is 100% free from chemicals and sold to China!

Thanks for the reminder.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusit Poll of Rajabhat University. For some reason I'm a little concerned about the credibility of this poll.

Are you OK with Dusit polls when they match your expectations? Or is it all Dusit polls you have a problem with?

"Are you OK with Dusit polls when they match your expectations?" No.

"Or is it all Dusit polls you have a problem with?" No.

I never trust a poll conducted in a country under martial law with censorship.

Even under more benign circumstances, it's a lot easier to conduct an inaccurate, biased poll than an accurate, unbiased poll (post #16 gives an accurate illustration of one method to first determine the 'correct' poll result then design a poll to arrive at this result, but there are many others). That's why I only trust polls conducted by established companies in the business of polling; companies that have a reputation to maintain and that publish not only poll results but the poll itself, how participants were selected, and how the results were analyzed. How many polls in Thailand fit that description?

Suan Dusit IS an established pollster that has been conducting polls for many years.

Companies that are paid to poll are in the business of producing the results of who ever is paying them for the poll.

Maybe you should actually look for the source of the poll results rather than base your comments on a small report in a newspaper.

http://dusitpoll.dusit.ac.th/polldata/2557/25571411783417.pdf

Nothing in your link in any way refutes what I posted. Polling organizations established in a country where people pay for poll results, not accurate polls, are not credible polling organizations, and neither are their polls. You support that with your statement:

"Companies that are paid to poll are in the business of producing the results of who ever is paying them for the poll."

It seems I was correct in assuming that Dusit Poll was paid to produce a certain result.

There are polling organizations that have developed the expertise and earned a reputation for conducting accurate, unbiased polls. They are often commissioned to do research by groups interested in acquiring credible information. However I don't know if any such polling businesses exist in Thailand. With censorship in place they would not be allowed to do many types of polling if they did exist. They wouldn't be allowed to publish results critical of the junta.

Whether you like or not Shinawatras were democratically elected, fair and square, so funny to see farangs calling them dictators.

"Fair and square" = by people whose vote s were openly bought with cash before and on polling day. Saw it with my own eyes, in front of voting officials and BIB. The people whose votes were bought were simply broke and down trodden and accepted the money due to circumstance.

I've notice that a lot of TV members applaud the "crackdowns" and "clean-ups" of popular tourist areas on one hand, while on the other bemoan the junta.

I for one think the general and cabinet are doing their best to restore some credibility and stability to the kingdom. Of course some people will complain and say "it's just not democratic". Maybe not, but democracy hadn't worked for such a long time something needed to be done.

If I am ever to see the general, I'll definitely shake his hand and tell him well done.

Well said Unky Dozer.

It is getting boring now hearing the same old rubbish over and over again, like "democratically elected, fair and square".

I spent a lot of time reading up about the principles of democracy and I cannot recall seeing anything about it being within the rules to pay people cash to vote for them. Must have missed that bit.

must have also missed how that did not have any affect on the last election in Thailand.

Whether you like or not Shinawatras were democratically elected, fair and square, so funny to see farangs calling them dictators.

Are you not aware how many dictators were 'democratically elected". The term refers to their actions AFTER they are installed in government.

Do you know of even one democracy where a fugitive criminal is allowed access to cabinet meetings? That is leaving alone the belief of many that he gave the orders to his clone and puppets.

I believe Hitler was the only democratically elected dictator.

He's the only example out of thousands.

I can assure you even today Thaksin has a higher approval rating than this junta govt. People are scared to admit it tho, you'll see it in the upcoming elections, but I doubt there will be one in a long time.

Hun Sen. Mugabe.

Are you not aware how many dictators were 'democratically elected". The term refers to their actions AFTER they are installed in government.

Do you know of even one democracy where a fugitive criminal is allowed access to cabinet meetings? That is leaving alone the belief of many that he gave the orders to his clone and puppets.

I can assure you even today Thaksin has a higher approval rating than this junta govt. People are scared to admit it tho, you'll see it in the upcoming elections, but I doubt there will be one in a long time.

Hitler wasn't democratically elected. He seized power via an emergency decree.

@Halloween: If Yingluck had been a democratically elected leader that then turned into a dictator, then how come she was so keen to hold elections?

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Until the next free and fair election, Thailand is in for more corruption, not less.

These are facts proven time and time again in the course of human history.

My wife's family in Surin cannot wait for the next "free and fair election". They just love that cash windfall to vote for their beloved Shin party, whatever it will be called next time around. There have been so many of them banned for fraud it is hard to keep up with them.

Of course your claim about your wife's family in Surin has much more credibility than the election monitoring organization ANFREL which observed the 2011 election and reported:

"Mr. Damaso Magbual, ANFREL’s Head of Mission, agreed when he said that “The election period, in particular Election Day on July 3rd, was managed well and without any major incident which would call into question the election’s results. " http://ipajournal.com/2011/07/05/anfrel-statement-after-thai-election/

• Like 1

Many would disagree without getting all historical. Try http://www.forbes.com/sites/melikkaylan/2014/07/31/the-new-wave-of-elected-dictatorships-around-the-world/

Hitler wasn't democratically elected. He seized power via an emergency decree.

@Halloween: If Yingluck had been a democratically elected leader that then turned into a dictator, then how come she was so keen to hold elections?

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yingluk was a clone/puppet for the dictator. Why do dictators like elections? Don't take my word for it, try http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/fisk/why-dictators-hold-elections-abdel-fattah-alsisi-bashar-alassad-and-the-faade-of-legitimacy-9347585.html

Travelling around Thailand over last few weeks (Cities and rural, central, north and Isaan) the best thing that I have seen the Junta has done has been the removal of all the Shinawatra First Family portraits and banners. The amount of politicial brain washing of the masses that was going on with that garbage was astonishing and IMHO a direct insult to the long established and most worthy only true family in Thailand. Its a pleasure now travelling through Thailand and seeing it freed of the Shinawatra mafia family dictatorial ideology. Well done to the Junta for freeing Thailand from the Shinawatra scum.

Yes, much better to have a REAL dictator running the country. Much better living under martial law which brings with it no freedom of speech, no freedom of press, a ban on political parties and suspension the constitution. I get where you're coming from.. err.. North Korea?

Only the most foolish of fools could put forward an argument that there was greater censorship and suppression of free speech under the Shinawatras than there currently is.

So you don't place much weight on those routinely being intimidated and killed by Shin supporters?

I place a lot of weight on the fact the number of television channels I can watch has greatly diminished since Ms Yingluck was shown the door.

As for your fanciful claims of routine intimidation and murder....... they're no more than farcical propaganda from an obvious junta kool aid drinker.

Never touch the stuff, but I imagine your lips are red from it. As for farcical, do you deny there were nightly shootings and grenade attacks on anti-government protesters before the coup stopped it.

BTW try going digital, it worked for us.

Many posters STILL using the coup to try and bring some kind of reflected glory into their meaningless retired lives, because they picked the "winning" team. rolleyes.gif

Meanwhile in the real world nothing has changed in regards to corruption and living standards are declining in the midst of growing unemployment and increasing inflation. My brother in law got laid off yesterday from his job providing maintenance to government buildings and gardens. The reason he was given was "government" cuts. At the same time the family farm is suffering having made the transition to rubber from rice at a time when rubber prices have fallen and are likely to fall further when the junta sells off stockpiles. Times are hard and suffice to say no one is happy, yet scared to speak out.

Still not tom worry chaps, your pension will keep rolling in from overseas allowing you to play the rich colonialist, in some deluded belief you form part of the elite. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

• Like 1

Only the most foolish of fools could put forward an argument that there was greater censorship and suppression of free speech under the Shinawatras than there currently is.

So you don't place much weight on those routinely being intimidated and killed by Shin supporters?

I place a lot of weight on the fact the number of television channels I can watch has greatly diminished since Ms Yingluck was shown the door.

As for your fanciful claims of routine intimidation and murder....... they're no more than farcical propaganda from an obvious junta kool aid drinker.

Never touch the stuff, but I imagine your lips are red from it. As for farcical, do you deny there were nightly shootings and grenade attacks on anti-government protesters before the coup stopped it.

BTW try going digital, it worked for us.

More than likely that the majority of the attacks on the PDRC were organised and co-ordinated by ...... PDRC supporters, like minded fanatics and moneyed backers trying to create enough of a blood bath to force the army to intervene.

Funny how none of the PDRC big shots never got hit and all of the grenades tossed into the compounds of the wealthy PDRC leadership never actually detonated.

Whatever ones politics, all should be thankful for Yinglucks handling of the street protests for it was her deft hand that kept the death toll so low compared to the incompetent Abhiisits efforts when he was PM.

Nevertheless, the original point stands, freedom (of all kinds) has diminished in this land when compared to when PTP were still in power.

• Like 1

More than likely that the majority of the attacks on the PDRC were organised and co-ordinated by ...... PDRC supporters, like minded fanatics and moneyed backers trying to create enough of a blood bath to force the army to intervene.

Funny how none of the PDRC big shots never got hit and all of the grenades tossed into the compounds of the wealthy PDRC leadership never actually detonated.

Whatever ones politics, all should be thankful for Yinglucks handling of the street protests for it was her deft hand that kept the death toll so low compared to the incompetent Abhiisits efforts when he was PM.

Nevertheless, the original point stands, freedom (of all kinds) has diminished in this land when compared to when PTP were still in power.

Some people drink the kool-aid, some, like Robespierre, snort it like cocaine.

Do you think anyone with an ounce of integrity would take you seriously after such a daft post?

• Like 2

Until the next free and fair election, Thailand is in for more corruption, not less.

My wife's family in Surin cannot wait for the next "free and fair election". They just love that cash windfall to vote for their beloved Shin party, whatever it will be called next time around. There have been so many of them banned for fraud it is hard to keep up with them.

Almost without exception every single vehemently pro coup supporter on here is shacked up with a red loving local in the arse end of Issan. They do this to over compensate, trying to distinguish themselves from the locals and family who they see as uneducated, and usually resent, as they invariably are financially supporting them.

Good to see you don`t buck my theory smile.png

• Like 1

Some people drink the kool-aid, some, like Robespierre, snort it like cocaine.

Do you think anyone with an ounce of integrity would take you seriously after such a daft post?

Many would disagree without getting all historical. Try http://www.forbes.com/sites/melikkaylan/2014/07/31/the-new-wave-of-elected-dictatorships-around-the-world/

That guy is full of BS.

There is no dictatorship in Turkey, Erdogan has an approval rating north of 55%

I'm from Turkey, and that guy writes for Zaman, which is a newspaper backed by some islamic cleric who fell out of favor with Erdogan. He used to be Erdogans biggest ally, until Erdogan stopped giving in to his demands. That cleric basically wants all the key positions in the bureaucracy to be occupied by men close to him, it was like that until 2012, but Erdogan had enough of his guys, so he got rid of them, and now they started calling him a dictator.

The great North Korean Leader is always elected with 100% of the votes.

People are also very satisfied with him.

haha that was a good one, comparing some messed up communist state to Thailand.

Fact is neither Putin,Erdogan, or Thaksin was a dictator. What these 3 guys have in common is that they're not politically correct, they speak from their heart and don't give a damn about what the western media thinks of them. But this doesn't make them dictators!

Even under more benign circumstances, it's a lot easier to conduct an inaccurate, biased poll than an accurate, unbiased poll (post #16 gives an accurate illustration of one method to first determine the 'correct' poll result then design a poll to arrive at this result, but there are many others). That's why I only trust polls conducted by established companies in the business of polling; companies that have a reputation to maintain and that publish not only poll results but the poll itself, how participants were selected, and how the results were analyzed. How many polls in Thailand fit that description?

Suan Dusit IS an established pollster that has been conducting polls for many years.

Companies that are paid to poll are in the business of producing the results of who ever is paying them for the poll.

Maybe you should actually look for the source of the poll results rather than base your comments on a small report in a newspaper.

Nothing in your link in any way refutes what I posted. Polling organizations established in a country where people pay for poll results, not accurate polls, are not credible polling organizations, and neither are their polls. You support that with your statement:

"Companies that are paid to poll are in the business of producing the results of who ever is paying them for the poll."

It seems I was correct in assuming that Dusit Poll was paid to produce a certain result.

There are polling organizations that have developed the expertise and earned a reputation for conducting accurate, unbiased polls. They are often commissioned to do research by groups interested in acquiring credible information. However I don't know if any such polling businesses exist in Thailand. With censorship in place they would not be allowed to do many types of polling if they did exist. They wouldn't be allowed to publish results critical of the junta.

"It seems I was correct in assuming that Dusit Poll was paid to produce a certain result. " It seems you make things up.

How do you know that Dusit hasn't "developed the expertise and earned a reputation for conducting accurate, unbiased polls"? They've been conducting polls for ages.

It's just that you don't like the result of this poll, even though you know nothing about what was asked or how it was conducted.

All you are doing is showing your bias.

• Like 1

Lets just say its doubtful the results reflect a reliable record of the facts.

Polls never reflect a reliable record of the facts when the results don't show what you want.

the bad thing is that the polls was done only in army baracks,

very funny all the foreigners whow say that the junta is a good thing, would never eaxept a junta in their home country,

live without basic rights is not a solution. and in thailand will never change anything, because there is no education among the peopel and

everything is done to keep it so, even most of the foreigners send their kids to thai schools

Polls never reflect a reliable record of the facts when the results don't show what you want.

very funny all the foreigners whow say that the junta is a good thing, would never eaxept a junta in their home country,

live without basic rights is not a solution. and in thailand will never change anything, because there is no education among the peopel and

everything is done to keep it so, even most of the foreigners send their kids to thai schools

The bad thing is, people make things up to suit their bias.

I would have thought that the Education Minister around 2001-2006 (ie Thaksin) would have done something to improve the education in Thailand.

• Like 1

Of course your claim about your wife's family in Surin has much more credibility than the election monitoring organization ANFREL which observed the 2011 election and reported:

"Mr. Damaso Magbual, ANFREL’s Head of Mission, agreed when he said that “The election period, in particular Election Day on July 3rd, was managed well and without any major incident which would call into question the election’s results. " http://ipajournal.com/2011/07/05/anfrel-statement-after-thai-election/

buying elections seems to have become an urban legend.

"It seems I was correct in assuming that Dusit Poll was paid to produce a certain result. " It seems you make things up.

How do you know that Dusit hasn't "developed the expertise and earned a reputation for conducting accurate, unbiased polls"? They've been conducting polls for ages.

It's just that you don't like the result of this poll, even though you know nothing about what was asked or how it was conducted.

All you are doing is showing your bias.

do you believe the poll?