Visa Extension and Travel Rules

My Thai wife and I have both tried to clarify this at Immigration and not been successful so far. If you have actually been through this scenario in the recent past I would very much appreciate hearing from you. My situation:

November 2014 - I renew my one-year retirement extension (It will begin my second year of same.).

February 2015 - First 90-day report due. No problem.

March 2015 - Wife and I leave on a 3 month trip outside of Thailand. I will have a proper re-entry permit/visa.

May 2015 - Second 90-day report due. I expect to be in Europe.

June 2015 - Wife and I return to Thailand.

My basic question is: Now what? Will there be a problem either with the re-entry visa (at airport Immigration) or the retirement extension 90-day report at CM Immigration? And, because I will have missed my scheduled reporting date, when do I report?

I have begun asking about this because I don't want to start booking flights and then find I have caused myself a problem. It seems to be a bit complicated for the folks at Immigration, so I am hoping someone here can provide some useful facts from first-hand experience. Thanks.

Now What, you have to do the 90- Day report, 90 Days after you come back to Thailand

So Suppose you come back to Thailand June 10th 2015 you have to do your 90 day Report around Tuesday 08 September 2015. (which is approx 90 days)

The Old 90 day report don't worry about, because a 90 day report only has to be filed if you stay in Thailand for 90 Days, which you don't as you will be in Europe when your Report is due.

A Re-Entry permit is the only thing that is needed to keep your extension alive.

Edit 1: When you come back to Thailand, Fill the Number from the Re-Entry Permit into the Visa Number slot on the arrival card, and what I do, is write Re-Entry Permit after it.

post-10213-0-92493700-1411887397_thumb.j

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I'll add as well. I do this all the time. When you re-enter Thailand, the clock restarts and your next report date is 90 days from the date you re-entered. I didn't report my address for several years because I was traveling in and out every few months.

In your scenario, the second 90 day report is NOT due in May 2015. It is due 90 days from the date you re-enter Thailand in June, so that would be some time in September.

There is no "re-entry visa." There is a re-entry permit and it has a number. That is the number you enter on the arrival card as MJCM indicated on his post.

Since you seem to be confused, I'll stress that you need to make sure you get a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand. If you don't, you will lose your visa and have to start over.

The re-entry permit is a stamp in your passport. You can get it at Immigration or maybe at the airport, but I would get it at Immigration if I were you. I always get a multiple re-entry permit when I get my annual visa extension. I have never gotten it at the airport.

Edited by mesquite

Me too :) I arrive on a re-entry permit, wait 90 days, do the report and get a new re-entry permit at the same visit to immigration, wait less than 90 days and leave again. On return using that re-entry permit I wait to do the 90 days report and apply for a new extension at the same time again. :)

That's my routine for 2 visits to my family each year thumbsup.gif I see the immigration office only twice a year, but they still remember me :)

It seems to be a bit complicated for the folks at Immigration,

Maybe it's because they can't understand why someone would want to report staying in Thailand longer than 90 days at a time when he would not be in Thailand at all. Apparently it's not the "folks" at immigrations who find it all too complicated.

How long before a planned visit abroad can you apply for Re entry permit?

What happens if your out of Thailand when your extension is due for renewal?

I'm planning a possible trip back to the UK the beginning of April next year.

I will do my last 90 report at Immigration in January (is that to early to get a re entry permit)

My extension will be due for renewal at the end of April, but I won't be back in Thailand until sometime in May.

I will do my last 90 report at Immigration in January (is that to early to get a re entry permit)

My extension will be due for renewal at the end of April, but I won't be back in Thailand until sometime in May.

You can get the re-entry permit at any time you want. It will not be tied to your trip.

If you are not here to renew your extension you will have to start all over again.

You should apply for your new extension before you leave and then get a re-entry permit for it. You can do your extension up to 45 days early at some immigration offices (30 at others).

Let me share something else related to returning to Thailand which was new to me when my 'local' Immigration Office (Ubon Rathchathani) told me. Whilst the 90 day reporting arrangements are as described above, whenever you return from abroad, you are apparently required to inform Immigration that you are back in the country, using form TM30. I was told that failure to do so would in future incur a fine of 4,000 baht.

Has anyone else been similarly advised? Ubonjoe, you're the expert in this area; have you heard of this?

Let me share something else related to returning to Thailand which was new to me when my 'local' Immigration Office (Ubon Rathchathani) told me. Whilst the 90 day reporting arrangements are as described above, whenever you return from abroad, you are apparently required to inform Immigration that you are back in the country, using form TM30. I was told that failure to do so would in future incur a fine of 4,000 baht.

Has anyone else been similarly advised? Ubonjoe, you're the expert in this area; have you heard of this?

It is not your responsibility to do a TM30. That is for the home owner to file.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, Ubonjoe, but in my case, the person Immigration regard as the owner is my Thai partner (even though we jointly own the property in which we live).

I reality a TM30 should not be needed but once unless you change your place of residence. I guess to make them happy you could take one from your partner when you do your 90 day report.

The normal fine for a home owner is 2000 baht.

That was my understanding , Ubonjoe, but our Immigration advised us in no uncertain terms that this was now an ongoing requirement for anyone in our situation (ie extension of stay because of retirement, marriage, etc) within a few days of re-entering Thailand. This would, of course, be 80+ days earlier than the next required 90 day visit.

Do you think this is another case of differing policies at different IOs?

It just depends upon the immigration office you go to. I have never heard of Phibun wanting it every time you return before.

They have never mentioned it to me (or my wife) after doing over 6 years of of extensions based upon marriage there.

Thanks for your replies, Ubonjoe. I had no idea you used the IO at Phibun. The first time they mentioned it to us was when I applied for my third extension based on retirement in July. The Officer dealing with us picked up on the fact that I had returned from the UK at the end of November (2013) and NOT notified them. The irony is that we called in there during December, ie 3 weeks after returning, just to confirm that I didn't need to do the originally scheduled 90 day notification (23rd December) and they said nothing about this 'new' requirement. Perhaps someone was having a bad day!

Been to Phibun many times.

Perhaps a bad day. But that was also about when there was big stir up in Bangkok to do the reports.

Unless you live in or near Phibun you could try to get the local police to accept the report and sign the receipt.

whistling.gif You do not have to do 90 day reporting if you are not in Thailand.

As long as your extension is still valid (properly renewed and still valid) that exit re-entry permit will be valid until you return or the extension runs out.

In other words, that re-entry permit will be valid as long as your extension remains valid.

Conversely, if you are out of the country when your extension expires, then so does your exit re-entry permit.

When you do return, your 90 day countdown clock starts on the day of your return if your extension is still valid at that time.

You have 90 days from that date before you need to do your next 90 day report.

90 day reports are only due as long as you are in Thailand if you are not in Thailand you do not need to do one until you return.

ubonjoe, on 29 Sept 2014 - 10:14, said:
Faz, on 29 Sept 2014 - 10:07, said:

You can get the re-entry permit at any time you want. It will not be tied to your trip.

If you are not here to renew your extension you will have to start all over again.

You should apply for your new extension before you leave and then get a re-entry permit for it. You can do your extension up to 45 days early at some immigration offices (30 at others).

Cheers Joe.

I thought along the same lines for the extension but good to know you clarified the position.

I'm surprised you can get a re entry permit at any time. I thought it would have a limited validity of use. i.e. 3-6 months.

A re-entry permit is valid for the length of the permit to stay it is issued for. If you have an extension it will valid for the length of it.

You could get your extension and get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) that would allow you to leave and re-enter as many times as you want to for the length of your extension.