Internet TV?

ryanhull

Hey All,

Probably been covered by I cannot seem to find an answer without all the guff,

I have just got the internet with 3BB (no TV package just internet)

I have PSI (its driving me insane, I can no longer handle sound affects with crazy thai ladyboys screaming at nothing)

Question is... what services can I sign up for online where I can watch TV with a decent channel selection, I know of TVcatchup which is pretty good although not amazing, wondering if I can sign up to Sky or something purely online? I am planning on buying a cheap PC to sit under the TV purely as a streamer hooked up via HDMI, some call them media boxes I think.

I also have seen IPTV boxes in 711 (I think) but I do not have a clue how they work,

Even better, any online streaming with Thai subtitles for the mrs? highly doubt it but worth asking,

Any advice appreciated as I am loosing the will to live with IPTV

Cheers

Thanks for the reply,

Is this not just an android device? the reason I say that is because I have an old HTC sensation XL which I no longer use, if I used this isnt it going to be the same device?

Sorry I am not too up on my IPTV players, do they come preloaded with channels etc? just plug and play? or do you need to do something?

Thanks again

Get an android box, either a minix x8 or an M8 box from pantip. Download XBMC ( Kodi) from tv addons.com if it's not on the box already, set it up using the addon installer on tvaddons.com and start playing TV, movies and tv series. It's all free.

You could also download XbMC on to windows if you like.

You can get many overseas channels, like all BBC, ITV and Sky, ... list goes on through your computer. .... just using Hola (free on Firefox, you don't need these paid for VPN's, some people seem to think you do facepalm.gif )

It's a bit tedious, changing programs or channels with a mouse, but good for Iplayer or catch up of programs...

I have been using a IPTV box for a few weeks know, works almost perfectly...(99% happy) There is about 300 channels (most HD) including Thai and English programs HBO Nat Geo, History etc etc .... a whole host of movies too .... tons of sport channels too. (Connect with HDMI cable to TV.... )

I am using 3BB 900 baht service, TV works well even having computer internet going too. thumbsup.gif (3BB also provides a ton of good movies etc included but they are dubbed in Thai! sad.png )

I don't know how these IPTV boxes vary in what the provide for programing...

A guy on Samui who provides my service can give more details.... PM me for info on him. (he's actually a TV member too)

Box was 3500 baht I think, 1000 baht a month for service plan... Tons cheaper than satellite and no fading during rain! thumbsup.gif

I can never get anywhere with XMBC .... not sure why facepalm.gifblink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

You can get many overseas channels, like all BBC, ITV and Sky, ... list goes on through your computer. .... just using Hola (free on Firefox, you don't need these paid for VPN's sme people seem to think you do facepalm.gif )

It's a bit tedious, changing programs or channels with a mouse, but good for Iplayer or catch up of programs...

I have been using a IPTV box for a few weeks know, works almost perfectly...(99% happy) There is about 300 channels (most HD) including Thai and English programs HBO Nat Geo, History etc etc .... a whole host of movies too .... tons of sport channels too.

I am using 3BB 900 baht service, TV works well even having computer internet going too. thumbsup.gif

I don't know how these IPTV boxes vary in what the provide for programing...

A guy on Samui who provides my service can give more details.... PM me for info on him. (he's actually a TV member too)

Box was 3500 baht I think, 1000 baht a month for service plan... Tons cheaper than satellite and no fading during rain! thumbsup.gif

Imho save the 12,000 a year skip pantip and order via lazada and save even more. I guess im a cheap charlie!

Thanks for the replies all,

I did download XBMC to my mac a while back but couldnt work out how to get any channels onit, I am not too good with all this, does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to get XBMC running on my mac with channels?

Id rather not have to get an IPTV box as I can use a pc sat under the TV

Cheers

xbmc works well on the Mac and I would suggest you get xbmc version 13.2 (Gotham) download it here http://xbmc.org/download/

As to how to's youtube is full of them but search for the Mac ones

A good start is to install fusion at http://fusion.tvaddons.ag (used to be fusion.xbmchub.com)

The howto install fusion is here http://www.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/ then install the add-on installer, from there you can install most things and for more help see http://tvaddons.ag

Feel free to use my MX Repo on there as well in http://forums.tvaddons.ag/forums/165-MX-REPOSITORY

Edited by joncl

Have a look at https://www.thaiexpat.tv/

Eighteen UK channels including all the BBC, ITV, CH 4 and CH5 channels for 600 baht per month.

Hey, cheers for the reply. I only see channels on here that are free on http://tvcatchup.com/ or am I missing something?

Try that tvcatchup out and see if you get buffering, if not you are lucky.

Plus the fact you can watch the shows on demand (thaiexpat keeps 7 days of programming for you to choose from)

Edit 1: Disclaimer, NO I don't work for ThaiExpat or any other company and I am not affiliated with them in anyway. Just a happy customer

Edited by MJCM

I have both ThaiExpat TV and iLikeHD and for 1000 THB per month I have more channels then I need.

Thanks, just signed up to iLikeHD for 350bhat a month... excellent as some good channels plus good channels for the wife, thanks alot that's exactly what I was after

Eighteen UK channels including all the BBC, ITV, CH 4 and CH5 channels for 600 baht per month.

Hey, cheers for the reply. I only see channels on here that are free on http://tvcatchup.com/ or am I missing something?

1. No buffering.

2. Better quality picture.

3. All the previous even days programming is available on demand so you can watch what you want when you want.

4.All programs are recordable to save on your hard drive for watching in the future. If you ask to download the old UKTV player instead of the Expat player you get by default the record feature is far superior.

Picture quality and no buffering is the big winner for me.

• Like 1

all free on xbmc though

yes its free and I would love to be using it but I tried it several times and I get buffering isues everytime which makes it unwatchable on myt rue connection.

I dont get these buffering issues with Ilikehd.

• Like 2

I see some posters continually suggesting XBMC as a free alternative over Maige, ILikeHD, etc - my question to them is, what plugins are actually needed to get a quality service that might rival MaigeTV, ILikeHD, etc?

I've now spent over 2 hours trying various different plugins, and so far the only one that seems to work nicely is joncl's Thai TV... I'm yet to see anything that can give me a live streaming of the most popular channels (HBO*, FOX*, Universal*, AXN, Discovery*, Nat Geo* etc), and I haven't yet discovered any of those killer apps for movies and TV series either...

Can someone give some suggestions on the better quality plugins that might actually work here in TH?

Note that I have a 20mbps connection, which is able to support 2 simultaneous MaigeTV HD streams.

Can someone give some suggestions on the better quality plugins that might actually work here in TH?

If you have my MX Thai added ( you will have this already have installed fusion at http://fusion.tvaddons.ag (used to be fusion.xbmchub.com)) also add the add-on installer(found under programs) and from there (add-on installer) add the following to get you started;

Movies - add genesis

TV/Sport - add Sportsdevil (in here you will find everything you mentioned above under Sportsdevils>LiveTV>ILive >then select from the lists)

TV/Sport - add my MX BBC Player (direct to the beeb)

TV/Sport - add FTV Guide and FTV (all the free UK TV 30 odd channels of it)

A list of what is in the add-on installer is here http://addons.tvaddons.ag/

Good luck

post-63721-0-24002000-1412473560_thumb.p

• Like 2

I see some posters continually suggesting XBMC as a free alternative over Maige, ILikeHD, etc - my question to them is, what plugins are actually needed to get a quality service that might rival MaigeTV, ILikeHD, etc?

I've now spent over 2 hours trying various different plugins, and so far the only one that seems to work nicely is joncl's Thai TV... I'm yet to see anything that can give me a live streaming of the most popular channels (HBO*, FOX*, Universal*, AXN, Discovery*, Nat Geo* etc), and I haven't yet discovered any of those killer apps for movies and TV series either...

Note that I have a 20mbps connection, which is able to support 2 simultaneous MaigeTV HD streams.

I gave an answer in post 6.... ^

My main reason to use an IPTV box is to avoid having the computer on all the time (while watching TV.... and also be able to use computer at same time... )

I use the 13 mbps 3 BB service, a friend uses the 20 mphs service, the quality is the same....

I spent a few months trying various options some of which people have mentioned here ....

I think I have the best solution (for me anyway) .... and am still able to use say ITV or BBC or any other catch up program services from different countries, if I need too on the computer. wink.png

follow this guy tutorial. Its free and takes almost no time to setup with all the good channels.

http://forum.thepattayaclub.com/index.php?/topic/135288-free-tv-xbmc-iptv-etc/

• Like 1

btw if your 20mb connection is true ultra cable you can have issues with xbmc. Seems they dont play well together.

This site provides a complete customised XBMC system and takes all of the hard work out of it. Remember to backup your system first.

You'll get 500+ live TV channels, most of which work. Genesis, FTV etc

You'll still need to install the excellent MX repository if you want MX-World News, MX-Thai and MX-BBC.

• Like 1

Try that tvcatchup out and see if you get buffering, if not you are lucky.

Plus the fact you can watch the shows on demand (thaiexpat keeps 7 days of programming for you to choose from)

Edit 1: Disclaimer, NO I don't work for ThaiExpat or any other company and I am not affiliated with them in anyway. Just a happy customer

I'm no guru with computers. However, ThaiExpat is great as you can watch programmes live, which doesn't seem to be mentioned in this thread -although I may have missed it. For example, I watched the Open Golf on BBC2 live all day and no adverts!. Quality excellent and you can watch Sky News (the UK version - not the Int one)

For movies and TV shows on xbmc add on the 1 channel and genisis from your fusion repisitory. And you will have 2 options. There are numerous u tube videos available showing u how to add them if you don't want to follow the simple instructions on TV addons.com.

TV shows are automatically updated a couple of hours after they air in the states or uk and you can save a TV series as a favorite so you just click on the series/latest season/latest episode. You control what you whatch when you want to watch it and you never miss an episode. Also good for those weekends where you want to lock yourself in a room and watch every single season of say The wire, breaking bad, 24', or whatever floats your boat.

The movie options are phenomenal, search any movie you want and it's there pretty much. Also you get new movies faster than the theaters in Thailand.. The only issue is sometimes they upload cam movies if the movies are just released in the states. They replace them when a master becomes available.

Xbmc can be a little fiddley to set up but after set up it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be like if you want to fool around with libraries, skins, developing your own live TV channel and guide etc etc

I'm not a very tech savvy person but I have been able to set up xbmc to a level where I have no use for cable tv. I can watch anything I want, when I want and I am no longer a slave to cable tv programming schedules.

• Like 2

You'll still need to install the excellent MX repository if you want MX-World News, MX-Thai and MX-BBC.

Thanks glad you like it (my MX Repo) , also his so called EPG in his live TV is provided by me too but not to him, a bit cheeky to pinch it and claim as his own work.

• Like 1

OK, I've now given XBMC a solid chance, but it's simply too painful. Anything you want to watch takes on average 10-20 attempts to find a working stream, and navigating through pages takes seconds each time.

It doesn't even come close to comparing with something like MaigeTV I'm afraid, so I'm giving up. If you don't want the expense of a Maige STB, Youtube is better, faster and infinitely more reliable.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1