Bangkok: High fares for taxis, subway approved

webfact

High fares for taxis, subway approved

By Coconuts Bangkok

traffic-cri.jpg

Photo: Christian Haugen

BANGKOK: -- Under pressure from drivers complaining of rising costs, the Transport Ministry has given a green light to increasing taxi fares.

In a session that also saw approval for higher subway prices, the ministry approved the first raise for taxi drivers in 22 years, which is expected to increase fares between 8 to 11 percent to offset the higher costs of living and energy prices.

"It's been around 22 years since the taxi fare was adjusted, Minister Prajin Juntong said Saturday. The new fare will be considered based on the costs of living and the drivers' net cost in order to help them earn more than a THB300 daily-profit.

For subway strap-hangers, a ticket to ride will increase by THB1 or 2 starting Jan. 1. Normally a biannually scheduled bump, a fare increase for the MRT subway system had been postponed earlier this year for the sake of "returning happiness by the junta. So be sure to top off that coin jar before New Years Day.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/29/high-fares-taxis-subway-approved

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-29

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure so many earn far more than a Bt300 a day profit with their illegal practices. Too much to hope I suppose that with increases fares goes increased enforcement.

"I'm sure so many earn far more than a Bt300 a day profit with their illegal practices."

What you should have referred to was the illegal practices of a very small minority but that would go against your practice of bashing Thais and Thailand at every opportunity, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

taxi fares rose in 2007 - the 35 baht base rate stayed the same, but the cost/km rose, as did the idling charge.

Not complaining though. They're due a rise. Taxis are pretty good, when they agree to take you at all ....

Getting them to use the METER is the hard thing

I'm sure so many earn far more than a Bt300 a day profit with their illegal practices. Too much to hope I suppose that with increases fares goes increased enforcement.

"I'm sure so many earn far more than a Bt300 a day profit with their illegal practices."

What you should have referred to was the illegal practices of a very small minority but that would go against your practice of bashing Thais and Thailand at every opportunity, wouldn't it?

Unfortuntely the National Health Service wouldn't pay for rose coloured specs identical to yours. Incidentally please do not presume to tell me what I should have referred to, stick to your own biased posting.

• Like 2

taxi fares rose in 2007 - the 35 baht base rate stayed the same, but the cost/km rose, as did the idling charge.

Not complaining though. They're due a rise. Taxis are pretty good, when they agree to take you at all ....

Getting them to use the METER is the hard thing

Really?

My biggest problem is they simply refuse to take me.

Guess it depends where you embark and go to.

thailand is no longer affordable to the average farang they are raising prices on everything.

You must be joking!!

they are and if you say they arent you should have come here 5 years ago to see how things have changed.

You should take a trip back to farangland and see how expensive things have got - Thailand is still a bargain by comparison, and a 10% bump on a dirt cheap taxi fare isn't going to change that.

just back from the US. The taxi ride home from Swampy cost $6.. From LaGuardia $50...

Taxi drivers deserve to make a decent wage... But also, they ought to be required to provide a decent service, which too many of them don't currently do.

Unfortunately, the government official's comment in the OP reflects the idea of give them the fee increase now/first, and THEN require that they meet service standards. But in the real world, what everyone here ought to know is the industry will get the fee increase. But then the notion of meeting service standards will get lost in the shuffle.

Does anyone really think that a 10% meter fee increase is going to stop the many taxi drivers who currently try to avoid taking meter fares, or those who outright refuse fares when they think there's too much traffic or the location is one they don't want to go? And does anyone really think the government is going to do anything seriously to remedy those abuses?

Indeed, Thailand probably has one of the most economical meter taxi rates in the developed world. And yet, on my soi in Bangkok, there isn't a single taxi that inhabits my soi that will take a meter fare. Every single one of them will ONLY take priced fares aimed at ripping off unsuspecting or uncaring tourists.

So how about as an alternative, the taxi drivers get their fee increase AFTER non-meter trip demands and arbitrary driver trip refusals are halted.