We have the cure for ebola, Bangkok's Siriraj Hospital announces

webfact

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The team was able to develop a special kind of vaccine that would produce antibodies to cure the Ebola virus," it claims.

"Would" - it sounds like theory, and not something that has been proven.

Let's see where this goes... I really do hope Thailand can claim a breakthrough like this, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Cure for Ebola?

I'm not sure it can be cured with amoxy.

Not sure what "amoxy" is and can find no ref to it anywhere so all I can say is -----what the devil are you talking about ??

he probably means amoxicillin, not a cure from a virus....

This is a well-respect hospital so this could well be true. I know you're all hoping it's not, because you love knocking everything Thai. Even if what they have isn't perfect at least they are having a go, which is more than most on here are doing.

Here we go again.

Does anyone remember a few years ago when it was all over Thai Media that a Thai scientist had discovered the cure for AIDS. They went on about it for 2 days then it was quietly forgotten. But I am sure in the Thai schools kids will still be taught that Thailand is the country that discovered cures for AIDS and Ebola, and everybody will believe it.

Chris

• Like 1

Hope they are right and know what they are talking about.

Many years ago, there was a Health Minister in the South Australian Labor Government who told a group of Medicos at the University, about how delighted he was to be addressing the "Fallacy of Medicine."

Why do I mention this???? Well.....I think you'll "get my drift."

Interesting, though I'll wait for a paper to be published first, as the standard of science reporting is usually abysmal in papers the world over. In this case it looks like they are claiming to have an anti-body for the virus. which will help to reduce the rate of cell infection in a patient who has no previous immunity to the virus fight it off long enough to develop their own B and T cell response.

Trials for drugs takes years and years....I will wait until it gets FDA approval. .

If it is not being used or sold in the US then it does not need FDA approval, their remit stops at the US border. For instance there are drugs approved for use in the US that are not approved in The UK and vice versa.

Edited by Pompey50

too bad there' are no tourists any more, especially from Africa?

yes i hope it works.

Siriraj Hospital develops a cure for the Ebola virus

BANGKOK, 29 September 2014 (NNT) - A team of doctors from Siriraj Hospital have reportedly made a groundbreaking discovery by being the first in the world to develop a vaccine to cure the deadly Ebola virus.

Doctors from the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital at Mahidol University have conducted a thorough research on ways to treat patients infected with Ebola. The team was able to develop a special kind of vaccine that would produce antibodies to cure the Ebola virus.

A press conference to announce the medical breakthrough is set for October 2, 2014 on the 2nd Floor, Room A201, of the Srisavarinthira Building. The press conference will be presided by Doctor Udom Kachintorn, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital.

So far, the Ebola outbreak has claimed thousands of lives globally and has a tendency to spread across other nations. As there was no known cure for Ebola, the doctors at Siriraj Hospital have made it an important priority to develop a vaccine for the virus.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-29 footer_n.gif

IF THIS IS TRUE, I WILL BE AMAZED. In fact i guarantee its so full of ifs buts and caveats, its a sham announcement , and/or , they've actually found a cure for something, at best similar to ebola

finally produced an anti-body which is capable of treating hemorrhagic fever from Ebola virus.

I believe this is what you mean, it treats hemorrhagic fever, not Ebola, in others words it treats a symptom of Ebola, it doesn't make someone immune or actually kills the Ebola virus...Ebola is not the only source of hemorrhagic fever, in other words its not a cure for Ebola...

think of it this way... a symptom of HIV/Aids can be pneumonia, finding a treatment for pneumonia is not the same as finding a cure for HIV/Aids is it ?....you have a treatment for one of the symptoms of HIV/Aids, not a cure

smoke mirrors and misinformation to produce a head line me thinks...wink.png

ebola is consider one of a group of hemorrhagic fevers that share many things in common (all RNA viruses)

it seems the thai doctors developed something to immunize against the hemorrage component of a different hemorrhagic fever, not ebola. i guess they are hoping it will also be effective for diminishing/preventing the hemorrhagic component of ebola (bad component as you bleed to death)

unless their vaccine was tested specifically in regards to ebola, their claims would seem to be fully "theoretical" a theoretical breakthrough is fine but does not merit the claims being made.

hopefully their vaccine was actually tested in the ebola arena versus giving it to all the african drug dealers on sukumwit and then saying; "hey none of them came down with ebola"

it would be great news if on thursday they confirm significant results against actual ebola. i'd imagine they would need to tested it in endemic areas; liberia etc etc.

if it hasn't been tested against actual ebola they will lose esteem in the international scientific community (to put it lightly)

• Like 1

They need to focus on curing their own poor national health care, education system, their pavements, sewage systems and roads, as well as the rampant corruption in all government departments first, then they can play with the big boys at trying to do things for the betterment of mankind. Fix thai sh1t first and keep shtum until they have a leg to stand on, on the international stage.

• Like 2

Actually Im very relieved to hear this as Im returning to Thailand soon. I was quite worried that farang might be barred from entry if there was an ebola outbreak in Thailand. I cant understand why I thought It might be blamed on farang...whistling.gif !

Edited by SunsetT

Never heard of a hospital doing medicinal R&D. I look forward to the clinical trial results on Thursday.

I'm not going to provide a lot of defence on this one but I must point out that Siriraj is a University Hospital and they are the kind of establishments that do perform R&D.

Siriraj probably pirated it for sale on Sukhumvit & Patpong....

"Ebora vilus vaccine, sir?"

"Hellooooo siiiiiiirrrrrrr. Where you come frommmm?

EboRAA Wilut Waccine, siiiir? Good pliiice (price)."

UPDATE:

Siriraj comes up with an antibody for Ebola

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A THAI medical school has successfully produced an antibody for the treatment of the deadly Ebola haemorrhagic fever.

Mahidol University's Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital is preparing to announce its success at a press conference scheduled for Thursday.

This medical breakthrough marks the first time that Thailand has been able to produce such an antibody.

Present at the event will be the faculty's dean Udom Kachintorn and a team of doctors and researchers.

Though there has never been an Ebola infection in Thailand, the disease has been posing a haunting threat this year as it has claimed many lives in Africa. Many people from the Ebola-hit continent have travelled to Bangkok, which is an aviation hub.

The mortality rate for the disease is high.

According to MedLine Plus, a service of the US National Library of Medicine, as many as 90 per cent of Ebola patients finally succumb to the disease. Patients usually die from low blood pressure than from blood loss.

There is no known cure. Existing antiviral medication does not work well against the Ebola virus. Treatment for the massive drop in blood pressure includes medication and fluids given intravenously.

Bleeding problems may require transfusions of platelets or fresh blood.

The antibody that the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital has produced, therefore, can be of crucial importance for the treatment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Siriraj-comes-up-with-an-antibody-for-Ebola-30244418.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-30

In fact there is some excellent and advanced medical research going on in Thailand right now. I too hope that this announcement is not premature, but there have to be some double-blind trials before it will be accepted by the medical community. Let's wait until Thursday then decide?