We have the cure for ebola, Bangkok's Siriraj Hospital announces

webfact

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Siriraj Hospital announced that its team of doctors has discovered a ground breaking technology that could be crucial for Ebola treamtent."

NB they are announcing a technology that could be crucial for the treatment of ebola infection. That is all. The idiotic mass media here is making up the rest. How ground breaking and crucial this 'discovery' is remains to be seen.

• Like 1

This is HUGE news: Thailand invented something,

Thai doctors are the smartest in the world.

yeah right, like the Thai doctor who said i was dizzy and feeling weak because i was old, turned out i had dengue fever, the red spots all over my body should have given the incompetent fool a clue plus the fact that i told him what it was. The private hospital i then went to said i was going into shock, another few days i could have died.

Nine years ago I had a headache for a week. I went to Bumrungrad and saw a neurologist. He told me I had early onset Alzheimer's Disease and sold me a 30,000 baht MRI and double that in drugs. I am still able to remember the incident and write this 9 years later. I guess he was wrong - although rich.
Perhaps you only think you remember!

Have to admit to being a bit skeptical of this claim. Did it get to human trials? If not, then jumping the gun on this announcement. Then the steps of getting FDA approval internationally can take months to years. The below announced Sept. 17, 2014. Though they say vaccine rather than cure.

First British volunteer injected with trial Ebola vaccine in Oxford

If vaccine tested on Ruth Atkins and other healthy volunteers is found to work, it will be fast-tracked for use in west Africa

More here - TheGaurdian

Who gives a s**t about the FDA? There is a crisis going on! Deal with it swiftly and to hell with what some country's drug authority thinks (months to years), better a good decision on time than a brilliant one too late!

• Like 1

Looks like Thailand has discovered a "cure" for all the media focus on the British backpacker murders of Witheridge and Miller. Look this way, folks!

Who gives a s**t about the FDA? There is a crisis going on! Deal with it swiftly and to hell with what some country's drug authority thinks (months to years), better a good decision on time than a brilliant one too late!

I agree. The FDA is too busy in bed with corporations to actually care about solving real problems.

Edited by jackspade

Curiously typing "Ebola Vaccine" into google shows nothing about this. They're not shouting very hard!

Meanwhile, in Oxford this month

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/28/us-health-ebola-vaccines-ethics-idUSKCN0HN0L420140928

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/17/ruth-atkins-first-british-volunteer-injected-trial-ebola-vaccine-oxford

Shame those minds at Oxford with the backing of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies still haven't cracked it but meanwhile, in room A201, we have this announcement. I want them to be right.....

I have never known of Thailand,inventing anything,,Thailand has only ever coppied,,what has always been there,,They already have,a cure for ebola,,But it is not 100%,,We ,provided thailand ,with antidote..So what has thailand added to this,,??,,There is one good thing about thailand medicine,,They will use medicine,from 25 years ago,,That pharmaceutical companies,will not use,,because there are no royalties in it for them..ie,, A know cure for cancer,,

• Like 1

Nine years ago I had a headache for a week. I went to Bumrungrad and saw a neurologist. He told me I had early onset Alzheimer's Disease and sold me a 30,000 baht MRI and double that in drugs. I am still able to remember the incident and write this 9 years later. I guess he was wrong - although rich.
Perhaps you only think you remember!

This is very unusual as early onset Alzheimer's usually involves extensive physical and mental tests with specific questions

A detailed history is needed eg

How bad is the memory loss?

Problem solving abilities

Difficulty completing simple tasks at home

Trouble with images and spatial awareness

Trying to find the right word in a sentence

Misplacing things and unable to recall the steps

Poor judgement

Withdrawal from work or social activities

Changes in mood and personality

If after a headache the doc sold you a 30,000 baht MRI which is only needed after an exam and then double that in drugs and you paid, then I would certainly say there is something most definitely wrong with your cognitive process!

Two paracetamol 3 baht would have done the trick

• Like 1

THANK YOU Thaivisa and thaivisa team, I really had a very hilarious day today with all the stories posted ie about the ebola cure, the fashion hub story, etc, etc. Despite the gloomy weather and other business realted issues.....I passed the day simply laughing and giggling at all these news about Thailand and their claims.Really makes me feel proud to be a foreigner.

• Like 1

OMG......statements of this magnitude need genuine backup...........trials...experiments...have any of these professional scientists even been involved with the E virus..........

Whoever permitted this to go public certainly needs couselling..........<deleted> is going on here!!!!

"vaccine that can cure infected patients"

OMG

I would think a hospital knows that there is a medical difference between a vaccine and a cure.

A vaccination prevents a disease while a cure treats the disease. A vaccine protects one from contracting a disease. A cure treats the illness to kill the disease and restore health. A person that has contracted a disease may be infected by it again unless vaccinated. Most of the world health organizations have focused on "cures" to stop the spread of Ebola and done little to find a "vaccine" that will prevent because of the difficulty in understanding the Ebola complexities.

(Thumbnails from South Africa National Department of Agriculture)

post-171049-0-58778400-1411992115_thumb.

post-171049-0-80858200-1411992135_thumb.

Things like zmapp are considered therapeutic treatment. They consist of monoclonal antibodies that provide some passive immunity (does not mean you are immune). Meaning it helps handle some of the virus and perhaps slow down the progression of the disease and along with supportive therapy hopefully keep you alive long enough for your body the fight the disease (how we handle viruses).... hardly a cure... but may help a little. ... or maybe not. ... theres a reason its called experimental....

Trials for drugs takes years and years....I will wait until it gets FDA approval. .

Why ? Is the FDA the only authority in the world?

Can't imagine big Pharma in the USA is rushing around- not enough money? Sorry to be cynical.

Would be a plus if Thailand had managed to fast track a vaccine and avoided years of torturing primates in cages .

Perhaps they granted Ebola Thai citizenship, it would then of course be impossible for Ebola to kill someone, since it wouldn't do such a thing.

cheesy.gif

you know I am not having the best day, but I have been reading some of the comments, including the one above got a good giggle out of me!

Sounds like the usual sensationalized news report of Thailand being the best or first in something, that is designed to brainwash the average Thai into believing that Thailand is superior to other countries.

Most countries brainwash to a greater or lesser extent, Thailand falls into the former.

I'll happily eat my words if it turns out these guys have done something dramatic, but I'm not holding my breath.

They should develope a vaccine to immunise people against for "Thainess!"

There is one already, it's called education.

Yeah but unfortunately an education is not available in Thailand.

Theres another cure, its called an expired tourist visa.

But they keep coming back for more anyway.

Edited by Ridercnx808