Fourth electric shaver in 5 months,

Hal65

I'm on my fourth electric shaver in 5 months, which means that I'm going through one almost every month.

The first two were bought from small shops, one inside a mall, the other one from a street stall on Sukhumvit. Both were cordless models that lasted about one month each.

The third was actually a hair clipper from big C that I used for shaving my facial hair. It didn't get as close trim-wise, but lasted maybe two months instead of one. Eventually it began to show signs of getting slower, and then stopped working a couple days ago.

Now I'm on my fourth shaver, another hair clipper from big C. It's a different model and seems to be working well at the moment. But we'll see if it lasts.

Has anyone else been going through electric shavers more frequently than back home? I'm thinking the high rate of failure is due to poor quality or perhaps the hot and humid weather messing up the parts.

I don't think my hair is especially tough, I had a Wahl clipper in the U.S. and it lasted me for about five years. I'm leaning towards build quality or perhaps the weather.

and was Wahl one of the brands you purchased in Thailand which has broken down ?

its not the weather, its the build quality because your buying cheap sh*t

Go and buy a Wahl and then come back tell use it has broken down due to weather...whistling.gif

penny wise pound foolish as the old saying goes

I don't think my hair is especially tough, I had a Wahl clipper in the U.S. and it lasted me for about five years. I'm leaning towards build quality or perhaps the weather.

and was Wahl one of the brands you purchased in Thailand which has broken down ?

Go and buy a Wahl and then come back tell use it has broken down due to weather...whistling.gif

I think you can make your point clearly without the hostile attitude.

• Like 2

I think you can make your point clearly without the hostile attitude.

not being hostile at all dear boy....sarcastic maybe, but not hostile...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I purchased a rechargeable Philips brand at Central Chidlom around 4 years ago. I think it was around B4000. It can be used in the shower or wherever, has great 'charge' life - probably around 20-30 shaves , is easy to clean and has. Never missed a beat. Weather has nothing to do with it. You get what you pay for. The big brands have hood warranty and can usually be fixed locally. 'Nuff said.

• Like 1

Where do you guys get these midrange shavers from? The only shaver I see at the Big C is 280 baht; there are no other choices.

big C is not exactly know for quality electrical stuff is it now...thumbsup.gif

THB 280 and you wonder why they stop working...whistling.gif

if your near a branch of central, in central proper every type of named quality shaver you can think of even Wahl - BKK/Pattaya etc

any of the big department stores, best buy, have decent electrical departments

Even the bigger Tesco's have named brands...

Thailand's hot and humid weather takes its toll on electronic equipment, so yeah...if you buy the cheap stuff it will break. I have a phillips norelco, and they last years before they break. Get one that's waterproof, and that should be able to cope with the weather. If you buy the cheap stuff, it will break.

Don't buy electric shavers in Thailand. In the malls, even if it says WAHL or PHILLIPS on the box, it is mostly just a cheap copy sold at prices one pays for the originals. Buy at home in the UK, Europe or the USA in brand stores. make sure you buy the original quality. I have a WAHL and a Braun Shaver in Thailand for 9 years, and they work well ! Keep 'em blades and moving parts oiled !

With online shops like Lazada , AliBaba or pantip, one still has to experience the quality of the stuff they deal. I am not fully convinced yet. And anyone who buys on Ebay I would openly blame for being stupid, lucky only to ever receive the original quality.

Edited by crazygreg44

electrical stuff does not last long in LOS they always fail after a short time ..

sub standard and the heat gets them quickly on the scrapheap

Nonsense. I brought my Norelco from the USA 10 years ago and it's still working fine. The M41 Walker Bulldog lasted 40 years and were used in many coups up to last tank one. Wake up!

Don't buy electric shavers in Thailand. In the malls, even if it says WAHL or PHILLIPS on the box, it is mostly just a cheap copy sold at prices one pays for the originals. Buy at home in the UK, Europe or the USA in brand stores. make sure you buy the original quality. I have a WAHL and a Braun Shaver in Thailand for 9 years, and they work well ! Keep 'em blades and moving parts oiled !

With online shops like Lazada , AliBaba or pantip, one still has to experience the quality of the stuff they deal. I am not fully convinced yet. And anyone who buys on Ebay I would openly blame for being stupid, lucky only to ever receive the original quality.

Nonsense. I bought a Norelco Phillips water proof shaver from Lotus in Thailand and checked it is real. You can register the guarantee with the parent company. Wake up.

Just buy a normal razor Gillete nothing i have bought last here .

I bought a condo 40 years ago and it's fine. Wake up. You usually get what you pay for in any country.

Take a look at the photo of an auto made in Thailand speaking of nothing lasting......

post-187908-0-92000400-1412039828_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

I always cringe when people say, but consumables are so cheap here. The thing is, they're not really when you factor in how many times a piece of crap has to be replaced to keep up with that branded item. Stop being cheap!

Speaking of anecdotal evidence I bought an electric drill for 300 baht 3 years ago in Tesco Lotus that was made in China. Since I have a new house I've been using the drill a lot every time I mount anything on the walls. A 300 baht impact drill has lasted me 3 years and hundred of uses. Stop being ethnocentric.

Electric shavers cost a small fortune here...go to ebay and get a 220 Wahl or Braun......

http://www.lazada.co.th/imported-philip-wet-and-dry-electric-shaver-at890-blue-306899.html

Different models from 1500 to 5000 baht uses them in the shower.

The linked baht 5409 Phillips razor is the same as mine, now a year old. I got mine in UK for £59 Argos..... the tax you are paying extra for. Recommended.

Try it with Thai ladders, broke so many I gave up and brought my own on the plane 2.5 metres class 1 Uk ladders.

Even branded stuff doesnt seem too good here.

I have two; a ten foot one and a 6 foot one. I have used them for 3 years, no problems. But I'm not big and fat.

What a stupid comment!

Of course you can buy the real stuff in Thailand , in all Central malls, even BIG C or Lotus Tesco . Or at the airport if you want it tax free.

Philips is very popular brand in Thailand and the prices are about the same as in Europe, maybe a bit more expensive here due to import taxes. .

Edited by balo
  • Like 2