Hong Thong Thai Whiskey - Does it really cause blindness?

JThai

I was just commenting to a friend how easy to drink Hong Thong was when mixed with cola. He warned me that Thai whiskey is known to cause blindness. I found a few mentions on google, but not sure if it applies to real brands. Any input guys?

No this is a complete myth. Whoever told you this is confused about home or amateur distillation, and real brands. Naturally enough if Hong Thong caused blindness people wouldn't drink it!

When amateurs distil spirits at home they must know what they are doing because methanol, a poison which does cause blindness and frequently death, is distilled off first, and steps must be taken to ensure it doesn't contaminate the ethanol, which is the alcohol that is safe to consume.

Deaths and blindness from illegally made spirits come from methanol contamination.

I often drink Hong Thong myself, and it's never hkduhy nkoe jkw%&^. dgso uyy fgktonsgy t0 me eyesight $^0 at @all!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No this is a complete myth. Whoever told you this is confused about home or amateur distillation, and real brands. Naturally enough if Hong Thong caused blindness people wouldn't drink it!

When amateurs distil spirits at home they must know what they are doing because methanol, a poison which does cause blindness and frequently death, is distilled off first, and steps must be taken to ensure it doesn't contaminate the ethanol, which is the alcohol that is safe to consume.

Deaths and blindness from illegally made spirits come from methanol contamination.

I often drink Hong Thong myself, and it's never hkduhy nkoe jkw%&^. dgso uyy fgktonsgy t0 me eyesight $^0 at @all!

You are not complete right:

Thai Whiskey often means Lao Kao and homemade it is often distilled without separation. (you won't believe it in PVC tubes, I am surprised that it works at all)

So Thai Whiskey may causes blindness, but worse people get complete stupid first....it really bites into the brain.

Hong Thong as commercial product is surely OK......

I live very near to where the stuff is made. We used to have a maid who also worked at the distillery and often complained about a stinging sensation in her eyes. She put it down to the strong fumes she suffered at the factory.

Who knows....may have just been a coincidence!!

I live very near to where the stuff is made. We used to have a maid who also worked at the distillery and often complained about a stinging sensation in her eyes. She put it down to the strong fumes she suffered at the factory.

Who knows....may have just been a coincidence!!

Usually this stuff will be poured into the mouth, which is bad enough, not into the eyes.

Hong Thong in the eyes surely cause blindness.

What kind of blindness are you talking about?

I have been to Thailand many times, and when I arrive I go to the 7-11 and buy some Hong Thong, and mix it with cola, cranberry juice, or anything else, and then just sleep - it is good for jet lag. It has not caused blindness for me.

But another use for Hong Thong is for the time you go to Sukhumvit, buy too many drinks with Hong Thong, and an attractive woman comes comes up to chat with you. You will still be able to see, but you will be blind.

What kind of blindness are you talking about?

I have been to Thailand many times, and when I arrive I go to the 7-11 and buy some Hong Thong, and mix it with cola, cranberry juice, or anything else, and then just sleep - it is good for jet lag. It has not caused blindness for me.

But another use for Hong Thong is for the time you go to Sukhumvit, buy too many drinks with Hong Thong, and an attractive woman comes comes up to chat with you. You will still be able to see, but you will be blind.

The problem is that an unattractive woman comes to chat, but half blind as you are you see her as attractive. Sometimes the woman isn't even a real woman.

In most cases the eyes recover partially on the next morning when you wake up.

• Like 2