Army chief Gen Prayuth retires after four turbulent years

webfact

262 other generals also retiring......probably more than the entire US army??

Gonna be some party!

10 U.S. Code § 526 - Authorized strength: general and flag officers on active duty

a) Limitations.— The number of general officers on active duty in the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps, and the number of flag officers on active duty in the Navy, may not exceed the number specified for the armed force concerned as follows:

(1) For the Army, 231.
(2) For the Navy, 162.
(3) For the Air Force, 198.
(4) For the Marine Corps, 61.
======================
I was invited to attend a "Change of Command" ceremony where one Colonel was replacing another one in Pathum Thani once. Crimony! They had coyote dancers and those hateful 20 foot tall speakers BLARING FULL BLAST. Johnny Walker flowing out the wazoo etc... My ears were ringing for a week!
I bet they'll need the entire National Stadium for this party.

Don't worry, I'm sure reform of the military is high on the PM's list.whistling.gif

Food..this is not uncommon... Both eating food as well as eating with senior officers.

Interesting.

Thanks for the update on your dining and social habits. We are duly impressed.

you are welcome... I get that you dislike him but your opinion of his future ignores the reality of life in Thailand

You were dropping turds about having lunch with a gaggle of colonels but you've transitioned to Mr. Prayuth. Frankly, can't muster up feelings about him or any of them. I don't get star struck nor am I impressed by uniforms.

My opinion is not far fetched and in a sad sort of way, does reflect the reality of life in Thailand. The precursor often being more blood in the street to effect change. Vamos a ver.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion. My experience' in Thailand are not typical. I had lunch with a few senior colonels today and discussed the opinions of other expats. It was an interesting lunch.

Excellent. What did you have for lunch?

Jackanory, jackanory, jackanory.

jb1

Read a bit of history.. In Thailand and get back to me on that

Ah, lording over it now and you've never even said a thing. What a numpty.

in modern Thai history.. With how many coups? How many coup makers have been chased through the streets.. But feel free to keep baiting Edited by jdinasia

Read a bit of history.. In Thailand and get back to me on that

Ah, lording over it now and you've never even said a thing. What a numpty.

in modern Thai history.. With how many coups? How many coup makers have been chased through the streets.. But feel free to keep baiting

Hyperbole. English not your first lang? Are you done baiting?

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion either. I had lunch and a long discussion with Mr. Prayuth. It was very interesting. Did I mention the moon was made of cheese?

Hyperbole?? Where??

It's not camouflaged, do some reading and get back to me.

Still interested how you characterized "other expat opinions" to the senior colonels at lunch. If you aren't willing to say, why did you even mention it. You won't even say what you had for lunch but thanks for the photos from the car park.

So now there will be a new Army Chief waiting to stage his own coup

after the new elections if/when they happen?

I presume the new guy won't be as rude as to do the coup whilst

his predecessor holds the power, but this being Thailand, you never know.

Opinions other than mine. I had food as stated. Pics were from a carpark at CRMA yesterday . Lunch was today.

Opinions other than yours, taken from where pray tell?

Food. Brilliant.

The photos of the boy soldiers is almost as impressive as the ones from the car park. I don't know if I would of even bothered, seems the drill leader was thinking the same thing.

Any more goodies from your privileged position in the bleachers?

The General did a great job...I hope and wish he can continue this as PM and chief of NCPO...Good Luck! thumbsup.gif

What exactly did he do a "great job" of?

He oversaw an increase in separatist violence in the South and did nothing to counter it whilst corruption levels within the army has been appalling during his tenure. His links to the Thai Chinese business community are well known and he has spent recent years on the board of about a dozen separate state companies, commanding a high salary from each to promote their interests.

Finally on the instruction of the afformentioned Chinese HiSo who pay him, he launched a coup as he felt the elites grip on power was threatened and suppressed free speech with the threat of violence.

Quite a guy huh?

Edited by tullynagardy
  • Like 1

Still baiting I see. Opinions taken from places like here and Twitter.. I like my place in the bleachers.. And at dinners.. Drills.. The rifle range etc

Nope, still just calling you out on the original BS you posted that you keep dancing around. What are you, a military groupie? Retiree that can't let go? Come on then, spit it out!

Military bases here aren't very secure. Tourists and the ice cream man can drive right in.

Gonna be some party!

I read some where (wikipidea?) that there was some 1600 Generals. But there must be more on the way up to replace the older generals?

I have seen numbers including 1400 generals and over 1750 if you consider generals and admirals together

262 generals retire on same day would leave most armies a bit short of brass, but Thailand still has an other 750 or so until the next batch of senior colonels are promoted. With the number of generals Thailand should have a bigger army than China and Russia combined.

Still baiting I see. Opinions taken from places like here and Twitter.. I like my place in the bleachers.. And at dinners.. Drills.. The rifle range etc

Nope, still just calling you out on the original BS you posted that you keep dancing around. What are you, a military groupie? Retiree that can't let go? Come on then, spit it out!

Military bases here aren't very secure. Tourists and the ice cream man can drive right in.

CRMA is the military academy. Nearby is AFAPS. Yes some foreigners live and work at both places.

CRMA is the military academy. Nearby is AFAPS. Yes some foreigners live and work at both places.

Intriguing.

Gonna be some party!

10 U.S. Code § 526 - Authorized strength: general and flag officers on active duty

a) Limitations. The number of general officers on active duty in the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps, and the number of flag officers on active duty in the Navy, may not exceed the number specified for the armed force concerned as follows:

(1) For the Army, 231.

(2) For the Navy, 162.

(3) For the Air Force, 198.

(4) For the Marine Corps, 61.

======================

I was invited to attend a "Change of Command" ceremony where one Colonel was replacing another one in Pathum Thani once. Crimony! They had coyote dancers and those hateful 20 foot tall speakers BLARING FULL BLAST. Johnny Walker flowing out the wazoo etc... My ears were ringing for a week!

I bet they'll need the entire National Stadium for this party.

As a brit that's useful info. As a keen student of the Civil War (US) I often wondered why there were so many generals. 1-3 star.

I think it is because the UK army have a self standing brigadier rank, which equates to a 1 star brigadier general. I'm sore no-one cares anyway!

As a brit that's useful info. As a keen student of the Civil War (US) I often wondered why there were so many generals. 1-3 star.

I think it is because the UK army have a self standing brigadier rank, which equates to a 1 star brigadier general. I'm sore no-one cares anyway!

Brevet ranks were authorized for the Regular Army in the Articles of War of 1806; they were authorized for the US Volunteers on March 3, 1863. Partly as a result of dissatisfaction with the end-of-war brevet giveaway, brevet promotions were discontinued in 1869; although officers who had been given brevets before that date continued to use them. They were reinstated for the Spanish-American war and continued in use until after World War I.

http://grapevine.com.au/~kwebb/Brevets.html

Nearly 1,400 Federal officers were appointed to the rank of brevet general , brigadier or major, during the American Civil War.....It makes him eligible for assignment to duty at the rank it confers, but without such assigment by the President it has no effect on the officers status with respect to pay, emoluments and seniority.

http://generalsandbrevets.com/brevet-generals/

So, to answer your question the 1400 brevet generals were generals in name only; not in pay or duty assignment. There were actually very few real generals during the civil war.

For an accurate count look at the, substantive rank, in the list below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_American_Civil_War_generals_%28Union%29

Brevet ranks were authorized for the Regular Army in the Articles of War of 1806; they were authorized for the US Volunteers on March 3, 1863. Partly as a result of dissatisfaction with the end-of-war brevet giveaway, brevet promotions were discontinued in 1869; although officers who had been given brevets before that date continued to use them. They were reinstated for the Spanish-American war and continued in use until after World War I.

http://grapevine.com.au/~kwebb/Brevets.html

Nearly 1,400 Federal officers were appointed to the rank of brevet general , brigadier or major, during the American Civil War.....It makes him eligible for assignment to duty at the rank it confers, but without such assigment by the President it has no effect on the officers status with respect to pay, emoluments and seniority.

http://generalsandbrevets.com/brevet-generals/

So, to answer your question the 1400 brevet generals were generals in name only; not in pay or duty assignment. There were actually very few real generals during the civil war.

For an accurate count look at the, substantive rank, in the list below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_American_Civil_War_generals_%28Union%29

Sorry the last link should be,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Civil_War_generals_%28Union%29