How do you feel about growing older here in Thailand?

TonyHawkins

Better than growing old in cold Muslim Britain

But let's put this 'Muslim Britain' into some sort perspective - "...2,660,116 (5.02% of the population)." And the overwhelming majority are peaceable, decent people.

What is the most common christian name in the UK? I got suspended for saying it before, so all I will say is it begins with M.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the IDEA of moving to Thailand or the Philippines, but every time I visit, I am so glad when the plane lands in Tampa and I am back HOME in my aircon condo. I suppose it's all about forming a new "nest" where you feel comfortable and safe. If I had one or more friends in Thailand who would help me will the adjustment process, I would be more likely to give it a try. I will visit in November and meet 3 FB friends, so who knows?

Evilbaz, on 02 Oct 2014 - 16:49, said:

CGH! Media watcher.

My graduate qualifications are in primary health care and post graduate in hospital management.

Dream on and keep believing your media 55555!

From what you wrote it would appear your qualifications are from Timbuktu, either that or you have an axe to grind. You are not the only person who has worked in Australian hospitals, luckily your "opinion" is your own and you are entitled to it. I am glad you will be happy to trust your health to the Thai health (extract more baht) industry.

Instead of coming out with the pejorative descriptions and ad hominem insults why not refute my post, point by point, after giving us a factual basis for your opinion.?

As for my qualifications - University of Melbourne (1966), University of Toronto (1970) and University of Adelaide (1971).

Followed by private practice in Perth and Kalgoorlie until retirement.

Go try some volunteering in an Australian "free " public health residential care facility and see what it is like!

Oh, and check the waiting list and if they garnishee your pension and/or require a reverse mortgage on grandma's house ...

When I was back in the UK this year (June) a guy on the opposite pavement walking his dog collapsed, I reckon he was about 75

Someone over there called the emergency services immediately.

Within 5-6 minutes there was an ambulance and a police car there, guys in green hooking up all sorts of things and inserting IV's. He was ready to go about 10 minutes later, I presume to the nearest emergency.

The cop was playing with the dog and took it away with him in the car.

I don't know how it all turned out, but I'm trying to imagine the exact same scenario here?

Here, you would not be able to get the ambulance through the traffic....

My favourite ambulance story was my fathers (at from work). He had a pain of some sort (he has muscle problems from time to time) and they called the ambulance to go to the hospital.... and it was nothing..... but then he found out the ambulance service is private and the fee was $500..... nearly gave him a heartattack!

Here, you would not be able to get the ambulance through the traffic....

My favourite ambulance story was my fathers (at from work). He had a pain of some sort (he has muscle problems from time to time) and they called the ambulance to go to the hospital.... and it was nothing..... but then he found out the ambulance service is private and the fee was $500..... nearly gave him a heartattack!

Right, so let's move on to the second possibility........over to you.

OK saai.gif

I see, very strong feelings you have there about - about - about what ???

About nationalism and pride making them blind to reality and believing their own governments propaganda about their own systems and believing they are superior in some way to others. Most people only experience is their own system..... yet parrot what their own politicians tell them.... without any other experience. I ran into that with my dentist in Canada before leaving -- I did not have time to do the implant so I told him I would just do it in Thailand then. He made a snide remark and I just said it varies - and there are whole dentist offices that have that graduated from the same dental school (US one). He just assumed they were doing dental work in the jungle under the palm trees ohmy.png

Haaa, and I thought it was all about how YOU FEEL ABOUT GROWING OLD IN THAILAND facepalm.gif

Now I just hope, one of the side effects of GROWING OLD IN THAILAND is not "Verbal Diarrhea" giggle.gif

Edited by JoeLing

But let's put this 'Muslim Britain' into some sort perspective - "...2,660,116 (5.02% of the population)." And the overwhelming majority are peaceable, decent people.

What is the most common christian name in the UK? I got suspended for saying it before, so all I will say is it begins with M.

Last year it was 'Oliver'.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/baby-names--england-and-wales/2013/stb-baby-names-2013.html#tab-Country-Variations

• Like 1

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/baby-names--england-and-wales/2013/stb-baby-names-2013.html#tab-Country-Variations

Crap, what are parents thinking - that is almost as bad as naming their children moonbeam :o

• Like 1

and the year before that? or maybe the year before that again.

CGH! Media watcher.

My graduate qualifications are in primary health care and post graduate in hospital management.

From what you wrote it would appear your qualifications are from Timbuktu, either that or you have an axe to grind. You are not the only person who has worked in Australian hospitals, luckily your "opinion" is your own and you are entitled to it. I am glad you will be happy to trust your health to the Thai health (extract more baht) industry.

Instead of coming out with the pejorative descriptions and ad hominem insults why not refute my post, point by point, after giving us a factual basis for your opinion.?

As for my qualifications - University of Melbourne (1966), University of Toronto (1970) and University of Adelaide (1971).

Go try some volunteering in an Australian "free " public health residential care facility and see what it is like!

Oh, and check the waiting list and if they garnishee your pension and/or require a reverse mortgage on grandma's house ...

I respect your qualifications but to my knowledge you cannot garnishee a pension in Australia.

I have also a great admiration for the public hospitals that have treated me. The last two occasions were for a hip and knee replacement, both times I was operated on by a professor from your old university in Melbourne. I would rather have surgery in a public hospital in Melbourne than a private hospital.

You choose where to grow old, many here say it's better than their home country, reason, home country too cold, well, one thing about your home country, I would bet health care for the aged would be a lot better, there would also be more support, financially, for your Thai family when you finally croak it, or will you condemn them to their life as it was before you came along. Growing old isn't too bad, if you remain in good health, how much do you trust your Thai doctor/s.

Thousands of OAPs in the UK die of cold related illnesses every winter because of astranomically high heating bills, they have a choice to either eat, or heat their homes. Shame on the UK Government.

I'm on the "wrong side" of 72 - but well past the biblical "three score and ten years".

I too use the mirror test - every morning when I wake up I breathe on the mirror - if it doesn't fog up I'm in the right place.

Moving here 6 years ago I reckon took 15 years off my biological age - particularly on a sexual level.

The only problem is I'm a little bit worried I might become a dirty old man.

attachicon.gifDOM.jpg

Is that Young Mr Grace from 'Are you being served'? You know, the old guy who always says"you've all done very well".

CGH! Media watcher.

I respect your qualifications but to my knowledge you cannot garnishee a pension in Australia.

I have also a great admiration for the public hospitals that have treated me. The last two occasions were for a hip and knee replacement, both times I was operated on by a professor from your old university in Melbourne. I would rather have surgery in a public hospital in Melbourne than a private hospital.

And I respect the quality of public hospital care under Medicare in OZ, once you get off the waiting list!

BUT, this discussion is about public aged residential care - not hospital treatment.

That is why I chose Thailand to die smiling.

I'm on the "wrong side" of 72 - but well past the biblical "three score and ten years".

I too use the mirror test - every morning when I wake up I breathe on the mirror - if it doesn't fog up I'm in the right place.

Moving here 6 years ago I reckon took 15 years off my biological age - particularly on a sexual level.

The only problem is I'm a little bit worried I might become a dirty old man.

attachicon.gifDOM.jpg

Is that Young Mr Grace from 'Are you being served'? You know, the old guy who always says"you've all done very well".

It's not but he's certainly got the right idea thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Well I have been growing old in Thailand for some 20 years now (I was 70 in May of this year).

I know and realise that at 70 I cannot do things that I could do at 60 or 50, certainly not physically anyway. I can still cut the grass with the strimmer but as there is 2 or 3 rai to cut I choose to cut the lawn as it is less than 1 rai and get somebody in to do the rest and I start around 6.15 and finish before 8 as it is cool then.

I still ride my motorbike but have cut back on long trips now as my reactions are slower and I will probably quit completely in a couple of years.

I am slowly writing my life story for both my Uk son and grandson plus my Thai son to read to show where I came from.

I am sad that I cannot play with my Thai son as I did with my UK as I was 60 when he was born and at my age the body and bones don't always want to do what the mind and memory does.

To slow down the ageing I find that keeping busy is one of the best things you can do.

Get onto the internet and find something interesting. Write your own life story for your Thai families. Learn to cook. Learn how to make furniture. There are zillions of thing you can do.

I make my own bread, rolls, cakes, pies, pasties, ham, bacon, sausage rolls etc all of which I have learned how to do in the 5 years since I retired.

If you want to sit and drink all day, then do so, but it's your life not mine.

Remember LG.

Life is Good and it is your choice to do with it as you will.

I am resurrecting my baking and cooking skills and doing fairly well with that.

I don't start drinking normally until about 6pm and have about 3 Hong Thong and sodas a night and I do drink in the afternoon sometimes if my mate comes over or I go to his place, other than that I don't bother.

I don't normally have the time to get bored.

Must go as I have 2 loaves ready to come out of the oven.

Well, billd766, I am pleased you seem to be growing old with satisfaction. However, quite frankly, I would be bored with your lifestyle and I too am 70. For example, my first job was cutting grass--at 10, with a push mower. I would never cut grass again. I have lived in Southeast Asia for 30 or so of the last 47 years, and the only property I own is where I can put it in my name. My son has been with me and his mother all his life--he is now married to a Thai and working here. My first grandchild will be born soon; I look forward to knowing him and he knowing me. So, I have no need to write a biography for my son or grandson to know me--my son has heard my stories and met all my old friends--and my writings are published. I already know how to cook, make furniture, and build a home; learned those many years ago. While I do not see the same man in the mirror I used to see, and the old muscles don't perform as they once did, the mind is still active and young. In fact, some Brit in a bar attempted to insult me by saying, " . . . look at that old fool, he must be 80 and he acts like he is 20." I was just dancing with a couple of young girls. I still ride my Harley daily; long rides at least once a month. I drink Jack Daniels and San Miguel Light beer--so I am less than unimpressed with your choice of drink. I am the last man standing at most parties and night's out--cannot remember how many times I have had to pull younger men up and get them home; last time just three nights ago. Yes, I am fortunate to still be healthy, but I exercise little, eat and drink too much, live too dangerously; it will certainly catch up to me. Until it does, I will party on. I have been here now for seven years, it is about time to move somewhere else--new times, new places, new friends, new experiences. I think I will follow where my son's expat career takes him--so the wife and I can get to better know our grandson and daughter-in-law; and vice versa. In short, at this point in my life, I would only be where I enjoy being.

What works for you is OK, what works for me is OK for me too.

I have lived and worked in 38 countries in my time so I figure now is the time to relax, watch the butterflies and the roses and do what I want.

You are unimpressed with what I drink and my lifestyle. To be honest I don't really care what you think of it as it works for me. I used to drink a lot but now I can't be bothered as I have no need to prove anything to anybody as you seem to have to do.

Shania Twain sang it best with "You don't impress me much"

Good on you bill, I wasn't seeking your approval or trying to impress you. Your are living the life of a man your age, I am not. I have always disliked being normal. Anyone can do it. That's why they call it normal. As you imply, we do what makes us happy.

How do you feel about growing older here in Thailand compared to back home?

There - fixed it for you Monkey Joe.

I had some money tied up in house equity that I felt was at risk so I sold the house before the crash converted it to baht and spent it on wine women and song. I was lucky and turning 60 coincided with a good time financially to move from the West to Thailand.

The last ten years after insurance I've spent about 30,000 baht on medical bills for maybe 60 days total in the hospital. The standard of care here was much higher and the accommodations more like a hotel than hospital. Two to four people stayed in my room with me at all times. I was never bored or at a loss for things to do in addition to recovering.

Home at 60 and feeling 60. Thailand at 60 and feeling 30. I've had women leave me at home and in Thailand. Thailand I grieved and cried. ripped my clothes and put on sackcloth and ashes for about 20 minutes and then went to the pub. Aside from being drugged and pushed I see no reason why anyone would jump off of a balcony in Thailand.

Back home I almost jumped because a women didn't divorce me!

• Like 1

A news article this week spoke to those of us older needing to watch our weight, no smoking, deal with blood pressure, exercise, lower cholesterol. Makes sense according to my US doctor to have a health check at age 60 and see the same doctor annually if at all possible.

Check colon after age 50....expensive in USA so Thailand is a good place to do that.

active minds and bodies do better

Try telling that to the people who live in Bradford or Keighley or Bolton or Birmingham or many other towns and cities in England. 30 years ago I was told by a young Muslim Solicitor that within 50 years the Muslims would be in full control of the UK, and that day is not long off. I believed him then, and I definitely still believe him now. Statistics are only as accurate as the truth of the information that is provided for them. If you don't want to frighten people you don't tell them the truth. I am 67 with many Muslim friends, definitely anti-racist, came to Thailand 6 months ago and want to live here for the rest of my life where I have never been happier.

There are people who know "the perspective " much better than you do, NickNick. It IS a cold Muslim Britain, but I still love it.

Growing old in Thailand is IMHO no different than growing old anywhere else. It’s what you make of it.

My wife is a Thai masseuse and has worked in Egypt for many years. She has encountered many old, broken Europeans with aches and pains and bowed backs. Her conclusion is that they do not know how to look after themselves, especially when it comes to good posture.

I was hugely impressed when I sent a year in China recently. In every park in every town and city I went, the seniors were out there practicing their Qigong and Tai Chi. Ballroom dancing was readily available and of course this meant they were socializing as well as exercising. I have absorbed a lot of this and have developed my own recipe for keeping young.

1. Chinese calisthenics, 20 mins each morning.

2. Qigong, including standing Zen meditation twice a day.

3. Walk a lot and sit a little. The chair is, IMO one of the biggest threats to our health.

All the above is geared toward maintaining good posture. The spine is the key to a youthful body.

And the most important tool of all. The mind! ‘Think young, act young, be young’ is my mantra. I am 68 and could fool anyone, including a doctor, into believing that I am 50. And anyone can do it.

Enjoy your life.