First Ebola case diagnosed on US soil

webfact

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To those on this thread who are in tune with my position on this ebola issue... I have copied a few post here done by like minded people and posted with the notice that is was penned by a friend of mine on another Forum.... I sometimes give name credit but never take credit for you incise or witty post... I feel that your way of saying things sometimes is better than mine --- seems I can never make a short post that people will read... Anyway .. if anything I have posted here on this thread of another...that you like and feel it will be useful elsewhere - on another board... please feel free to copy and post it there... just a reference - credit that a friend on another forum posted it - is enough for me...

• Like 1

The US response to Ebola on their own soil very much reminds me of their response to Hurricane Katrina.

Equating the CDC to FEMA, a federal agency to which Bush the Younger appointed an incompetent political hack as head, is simply a terrible comparison and misguided from all perspectives. The CDC took a lead role in stopping Ebola in Nigeria and despite the single bad judgment call in Texas, one of the States with the worst education systems in the country, the CDC has this thing under control in the US as well.

But there is nothing at all unusual about scientists vehemently disagreeing with each other as in this case and it's impossible for you or I to know who is correct, or who is the most qualified.

Just because your neighbour has said these things doesn't make him any more of an authority than those who have said the direct opposite such as David Sanders at Purdue University

The storys author explains in some technical detail why its next to impossible for the virus to get into cells in the airway, quoting Vanderbilt University infectious disease expert William Schaffner, who said the virus isnt equipped to attach to receptors in the cells that line our airways.

But Dr. Schaffner does not do research in this area. Biologist David Sanders at Purdue University does. In fact, Sanders conducts experiments with modified Ebola viruses and tissue cultures and he said he has seen direct evidence that Ebola does have the capacity to attach to receptors in the so-called epithelial cells in human lungs. Saying that Ebola cant get into the airway because it cant find the receptors is patently wrong, he said. We know Ebola has the correct interactions with the receptors so the sort of argument they are making is fallacious.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/fayeflam/2014/10/03/out-of-control-but-nothing-to-worry-about-behind-the-mixed-signals-on-ebola-outbreak/the

Curious as to why you want so bad for this to be air borne and catastrophic? Same reason you hooe US suffers an economic collapse? Rhetorical question, but again speaks volumes and requires an inward examination to truly be answered.

Sanders still speaking in terms of hypothetical, says not currently air borne, unlikely it will mutate and become air borne, but risk is not zero.

-----------

Sanders states:

That doesnt mean its likely to evolve the capacity to become airborne, he said, but the possibility is not vanishingly small as it is for HIV. How unlikely? Not enough is known to put a number on it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/fayeflam/2014/10/03/out-of-control-but-nothing-to-worry-about-behind-the-mixed-signals-on-ebola-outbreak/

Curious as to why you want so bad for this to be air borne and catastrophic?

And why would any normal person (as opposed to you who labels every second person as a nutcase, even including distinguished military personnel like Air Force General Thomas Mackinerny ), come to that conclusion simply because I post information that contradicts what your neighbour tells you? rolleyes.gif

Some Ebola experts worry virus may spread more easily than assumed

Charles L. Bailey supervised the governments response to an outbreak of Ebola among several dozen rhesus monkeys housed for research in Reston, Va., a suburb of Washington.

What Bailey learned from the episode informs his suspicion that the current strain of Ebola afflicting humans might be spread through tiny liquid droplets propelled into the air by coughing or sneezing.

We know for a fact that the virus occurs in sputum and no one has ever done a study [disproving that] coughing or sneezing is a viable means of transmitting, he said. Unqualified assurances that Ebola is not spread through the air, Bailey said, are misleading.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-questions-20141007-story.html#page=1

Haha, Mackinarry is not crazy. He is bat shyite crazy. Lets give credit where credit is due.

Lol about your emphasis on Shaffner as just a "neighbor." It is not like I am taking the word of cousin Bubba. He appears to be the most interviewed, most quoted and most cited doctor in the US on Ebola at the present. Vanderbilt is an incredible research and teaching hospital and there is no reason not to think Dr. Schaffner is not plugged in to CDC and many resources.

• Like 1

They keep telling people it is very hard to contract and that you need to be in contact directly with bodily fluids so how did a cameraman get it ? Surely his job wouldn't entail him coming into contact with bodily fluids ?

• Like 2

Airport Security Gaffe Couldn't Have Made It Any Easier For Ebola To Enter America

CNN’s Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen told Robin Meade on HLN’s Morning Express with Robin Meade that she and her two colleagues were not asked a lot of questions when they returned from Liberia while covering the Ebola crisis.

“I expected that they were going to take my temperature, they were going to ask me lots of questions, but they didn’t.

“I said, ‘I’m a journalist, I’ve come back from Liberia, I was covering Ebola.’ And the gentleman who was helping me, the officer, he started to hand my passport back and say, ‘Welcome home,’ but instead he said, ‘Oh wait a second, I got an email about passengers like you, hold on a second.’

http://www.westernjournalism.com/journalists-given-worst-advice-returning-africa/

Edited by JDGRUEN

99 in Uganda quarantined after Marburg virus death (Ebola's genetic cousin)

Kampala, Uganda -- (CNN) -- Three days after a fatal case of Marburg hemorrhagic fever was diagnosed in Uganda, 99 people have been quarantined in four different locations across the East African country, as field epidemiologists and surveillance officers continue to closely monitor all people who got into contact with only victim.

More than 60 health workers form the bulk of people under quarantine after they were identified as having contact with a 30-year old male health worker who died September 28 of Marburg -- an Ebola-like hemorrhagic fever.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/07/health/uganda-marburg-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Infecting a Nation for Politics and Money

Should flights coming from West African nations be cancelled and our borders closed? According to Anthony Fauci of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the answer is “No, absolutely not.” “When you start closing countries like that, there is a real danger of making things worse,... governments could fall if you isolate them.”

What kind of logic is that? How is it possible that blocking visas and the travel of people sick with Ebola and quarantining them in the Hot Zone is making things worse? Would that not be easier for the virus outbreak to be contained and allow the virus to burn itself out before it mutates?

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/66582

Edited by JDGRUEN

Texas Ebola patient dies...

Thomas Eric Duncan is the first person in the U.S. to die from the Ebola virus.

The Texas Department of State Health Services released the following statement:

The past week has been an enormous test of our health system, but for one family it has been far more personal. Today they lost a dear member of their family. They have our sincere condolences, and we are keeping them in our thoughts. The doctors, nurses and staff at Presbyterian provided excellent and compassionate care, but Ebola is a disease that attacks the body in many ways. We'll continue every effort to contain the spread of the virus and protect people from this threat.

"It is with profound sadness and heartfelt disappointment that we must inform you of the death of Thomas Eric Duncan this morning at 7:51 a.m. Mr. Duncan succumbed to an insidious disease, Ebola. He fought courageously in this battle. Our professionals, the doctors and nurses in the unit, as well as the entire Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas community, are also grieving his passing. We have offered the family our support and condolences at this difficult time,"

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/26735800/tx-ebola-patient-dies

Posted: Oct 08, 2014 10:24 PM

Texas Ebola patient dies...

Thomas Eric Duncan is the first person in the U.S. to die from the Ebola virus.

The Texas Department of State Health Services released the following statement:

The past week has been an enormous test of our health system, but for one family it has been far more personal. Today they lost a dear member of their family. They have our sincere condolences, and we are keeping them in our thoughts. The doctors, nurses and staff at Presbyterian provided excellent and compassionate care, but Ebola is a disease that attacks the body in many ways. We'll continue every effort to contain the spread of the virus and protect people from this threat.

"It is with profound sadness and heartfelt disappointment that we must inform you of the death of Thomas Eric Duncan this morning at 7:51 a.m. Mr. Duncan succumbed to an insidious disease, Ebola. He fought courageously in this battle. Our professionals, the doctors and nurses in the unit, as well as the entire Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas community, are also grieving his passing. We have offered the family our support and condolences at this difficult time,"

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/26735800/tx-ebola-patient-dies

Posted: Oct 08, 2014 10:24 PM

No sympathy for this worthless man. Frankly, I'm relieved he is gone and the chances for further infection thus reduced. How many millions of taxpayer dollars went to support this foreign interloper who caused such havoc. This statement from Presbyterian Hospital is PC mush. Now, what the US should do--but will never do--is round up the rest of this man's troupe of low end parasites and send them back to Africa, too.

• Like 2

Well Liberia can drop the lawsuit now.

True; however, now the family can begin their lawsuit against the Texas hospital for negligence when the ER staff failed to properly diagnose the patient.

And the hospital has already acknowledged the nurse was made aware of his recent arrival from a high-risk country.

Thats the way it works in the good ol' US of A.

His family will retire millionaires.

True; however, now the family can begin their lawsuit against the Texas hospital for negligence when the ER staff failed to properly diagnose the patient.

And the hospital has already acknowledged the nurse was made aware of his recent arrival from a high-risk country.

I must tune in to Alex Jones tonight.

I just googled Alex Jones and I wonder if you are having fun with me. I am no conspiracy theorist. I don't even listen to hate radio myself but I would take a wager from anyone here that there are no shortages of dirtbag ambulance chasing attorneys in Texas who will take this case on behalf of the family and, at the very least, the family will settle out of court for 6-digit figures.

The hospital was admittedly medically negligent (not to be confused with malpractice).

I realize this is an unbelievable concept for everyone who comes from a civilized country with socialized medicine. I envy you.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Ofcourse, the issue has already been explored by a major media outlets:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/07/ebola-lawsuits-texas-hospital-dallas-_n_5942440.html

And my personal favorite blog on such practices (not specific to this Ebola case):

http://www.chicagomedicalmalpracticelawyerblog.net/2013/11/new-approach-to-medical-malpra.html

Dallas Sheriff’s deputy rushed to hospital with Ebola symptoms; was in ‘patient zero’s’ apartment

CBS reported:

According to a statement from the City of Frisco, the patient claims to have had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, referred to as Dallas ‘patient zero.’

The Frisco patient has been identified as a Dallas County deputy Michael Monnig, who was not one of the 48 people being monitored by federal, state and local health officials because he never had direct contact with the patient. Monnig did enter the apartment where Duncan stayed after Duncan had been admitted to the hospital.

According to CBS 11’s Andrea Lucia, Monnig’s children said he woke up this morning feeling sore and a little nauseated. He went to clinic as a precaution. Other sources say Monnig was complaining of “stomach issues.”

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/10/08/dallas-sheriffs-deputy-rushed-to-hospital-with-ebola-symptoms-was-in-patient-zeros-apartment-151019

I bet the Dallas County Judge (not a judge but the Chief County Commissioner) who went to Duncan's apartment and stupidly exposed himself to Ebola and the 2-3 assistants he took along with him are shaking in their boots this morning... The 'Judge' also took the family to a new apartment in his car..

You gotta wonder about ignorance... it is everywhere...

• Like 1