How To Connect To A Wireless Router?

agsnowdon

Hey all,

I have a desktop pc with O/S Windows XP.

When I go back to the UK and get BB set up there are offers that give you a free wireless router.

But how would I connect the internet conection to my pc?

Do I need to get a wireless network card or something? or is there some product available to plug into a USB port to connect the pc to the wireless router.

If there is a USB product would this affect the internet speed? Or does going wireless generally lose some speed along the way?

Sorry but I havent got a clue when it comes to wireless unless I'm using my notebook which came up an running with wireless.

Thanks for all your help, sure someone knows what I'm in need of.

Cheers

Ash :o

Hey all,

I have a desktop pc with O/S Windows XP.

When I go back to the UK and get BB set up there are offers that give you a free wireless router.

But how would I connect the internet conection to my pc?

Do I need to get a wireless network card or something? or is there some product available to plug into a USB port to connect the pc to the wireless router.

If there is a USB product would this affect the internet speed? Or does going wireless generally lose some speed along the way?

Sorry but I havent got a clue when it comes to wireless unless I'm using my notebook which came up an running with wireless.

Thanks for all your help, sure someone knows what I'm in need of.

Cheers

Ash :o

The wireless router will also have ports for a cable connection.

Your PC will need a ethernet card , or a wireless card or a usb wireless thingy (dongle?)

Thats probably the least techie answer to your question but should get you going.

You're always better with a wired connection if possible.

Correct, but laid in bed right with my laptop connected wirelessly to mt router I see no difference , except no cable dragging over the bed :o

Yes, but OP wants to use it with a desktop PC, not a laptop. Your best bet would be to connect your PC to the router/modem with an ethernet cable, the speed is much faster than wireless. Then, you can use your laptop in other parts of your house to connect wirelessly. Most PCs have an ethernet port--looks like a big square telephone port (but bigger). Alot of router/modems can also be connected via USB but according to the tech people I talked to when back in the US ethernet is faster than USB (even if you have the new higher speed USB 2.0).

I agree that a cable connection will be faster and not prone to interference. Wireless is fine for general internet use but if you are looking at large downloads, then cable would be better. The wireless cards and USB dongles are incredibly cheap in UK now. If you have not got your BB yet and you are going to have Sky TV, check out their latest offers. 2MB BB is free, 8MB BB is £5 per month and 16MB is £10 per month. Don't think you will find it cheaper anywhere else in UK and they come with a free router.

Right now I know that cable is fastest thats good as I shall be doing a lot of downloading.

I shall probally do both wired for desktop and wirless for my notebook.

I was with BT before in the UK and thought it was a great service. Now we have NTL digital installed at our home in UK and as I understand you can get BB straight out of the set top box and as there will be a set top box in the same room as the desktop concerned a wired connection will be no problem.

Thanks for all your help!

If anyone has anymore input I'd be happy to hear!

Cheers

thats bullsh.. why if I might ask?

Cable connection is faster , but with the amount of data / speed downloadable fron the net its irrevelant.

Yes, but OP wants to use it with a desktop PC, not a laptop. Your best bet would be to connect your PC to the router/modem with an ethernet cable, the speed is much faster than wireless. Then, you can use your laptop in other parts of your house to connect wirelessly. Most PCs have an ethernet port--looks like a big square telephone port (but bigger). Alot of router/modems can also be connected via USB but according to the tech people I talked to when back in the US ethernet is faster than USB (even if you have the new higher speed USB 2.0).

And the difference between a laptop and desktop?

thats bullsh.. why if I might ask?

Cable connection is faster , but with the amount of data / speed downloadable fron the net its irrevelant.

And the difference between a laptop and desktop?

Wireless connections are always susceptable to interference from other devices, the physical layout of the room, walls etc. This can have a serious effect on your connection speed and with a fast BB connection this WILL make a difference. So if you are using a desktop and it is possible to have the router connected by cable - Why on earth would you want to do it wirelessly? Obviously with a laptop there is a distinct advantage to wireless because you can use it in any room or even wander outside. Another issue about a cable connection may that you want to move large files across the network (backups etc) and again this will be much faster and more reliable over cable (as opposed to over two wireless connections).

To summarise - why would you want a less reliable connections thats costs you more to set up, when you can just plug a cable in?

For the OP - I think NTL are doing an all-in-one package for TV, phone and BB at the moment. They also offer faster speeds that BT in most areas as the BT service relies on a good connection to the telephone exchange. I don't think their support is as good as BT, but BB connection is quite good.