Business Concept - can it be done in Thailand.

I am seeking information and knowledgeable opinion on the following:

Short Background: As many may be familiar - in the U.S. there is a business niche in mail services. Typically titled something like - Wrap and Mail, Mail Boxes, etc. and similar names. These businesses provide mail box rentals, some offer mail forwarding, some are contracted depots for pickup and delivery of UPS, FedEx and DHL. Other services including selling mailing materials, envelopes, boxes, tape, etc. In the States these business have to have a type of permit and or license from the United States Postal Services. Many people use private mail box companies in order to get a 'Street Address' and not a Post Office Box address. This is good for small business purposes, and companies like FedEx and UPS will not deliver to P.O. Boxes.

My questions:

- 1. Does anyone know of such a business operating in Thailand? There are private companies acting under contract as depots for DHL and other shippers. I have used such services. But none of these rent mail boxes nor do they any particular service processing parcels or any other types of mail via Thai Post.

- 2. Does anyone know if such a business would be allowed in Thailand? (Where the business receives mail for customers via Thai Post -- performing this function by bulk receipt of mail and then sorting into the rented customer mail boxes?

- 3. Bottom Line could such a business be set up - rent mail boxes out to customers and take receive of a packet of mail for 20 different people -- then sort them into the various mail boxes for the customers to fetch at their convenience?

Note: I have read stories relating that renting of a Postal Box at Thai Post was hit or miss - mostly miss as the boxes stay fully rented out - none available for rental.

The target market is primarily Expats and some long stay tourists... secondary to Thais as customers.

I have not posted much of my rationale for this type of business in Thailand. The focus is my questions 1,2,3.

Please offer facts or opinion. Also - please refrain from posting snarky remarks - this is a serious question. Attempts to derail this thread with snipes and jokes will just be reported and I have them removed... Thank You for your kind cooperation.

Also advice or opinion as to the viability of such a business concept is okay - but not my main concern.

• Like 1

Short Background: As many may be familiar - in the U.S. there is a business niche in mail services. Typically titled something like - Wrap and Mail, Mail Boxes, etc. and similar names.

There's a 'Mail Boxes etc' in Hua Hin just down the road from where I live.

Here's a long list of all their Bangkok locations : http://www.mbethai.com/mbe_network_bangkok.asp

If you click the other links on the page you can see the other locations in the country.

I've never used them though but apparently they do rent out mailboxes as well as offer other services, check this forum link : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684719-new-business-in-hua-hin-mailboxes-etc-ups-services/

Edited by ukrules

Short Background: As many may be familiar - in the U.S. there is a business niche in mail services. Typically titled something like - Wrap and Mail, Mail Boxes, etc. and similar names.

Here's a long list of all their Bangkok locations : http://www.mbethai.com/mbe_network_bangkok.asp

I

If you click the other links on the page you can see the other locations in the country.

I've never used them though.

Thank you... I am not sure why I couldn't find this...

So obviously it is legal to do this under some sort of corporate arrangement. I next have to find out how the ownership of 'Mail Boxes, Etc.' is formed .... Thai partners or what... If this type of business is restricted to Thai citizens - then I still have other hurdles to jump... If not ... then easier... I am lucky in that being an American I can set up under provisions of the Treaty of Amity which reduces some of the complications...

I am not looking to build a chain of such shops - just one or two to provide extra income and likely a WP along with a non imm B Visa. I don't need this for Visa purposes, I have an non imm 'O' and could get a Extension based on Retirement - but I have read that people on Retirement Extension cannot do this... I also read while there are no written restrictions - but Immigration just denies it anyway. So - converting to a Non Imm B would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.

Also, I was worried that the Thai Post officials would have a restriction against it - but seems not to be the case...

One other thing... Since Thailand is so stretched out geographically ... I would not expect competition from such entities as Mail Boxes, Etc. to rapidly expand over the entire country - just thinking out loud.

Thanks again .... you one post has really helped me a lot to see potential feasibility of this concept.

There is a mail box company just around the corner from me in Jomtien. Also does safety box rental.

Thank you KittenKong ... is this one of the MBE ... Mail Box, Etc. (franchises) mentioned in the previous post? Or is it a local shop - by appearances?

There is a mail box company just around the corner from me in Jomtien. Also does safety box rental.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it might also be mentioned a major focus of the business is storage rental.

I used their services for storage a few years ago and was pleased with it.

I also checked out the safe deposit box rental and decided it was far too dear for my budget

If it's the one I'm thinking of it might also be mentioned a major focus of the business is storage rental.

I'm thinking of the one behind Shenanigans Jomtien, in the Jomtien Complex building. As far as I know it's mostly safety boxes and mail forwarding services, and is not part of any chain that I know of. I've never actually been inside so I don't know whether they also do storage.

I am in pattaya and about three years ago I was a customer of mailboxes are us who had a location on second road opposite Royal Garden Plaza. They also had another location in the basement of central festival beach which was really a tiny area. First, they notified customers they were closing their store on second road and that customers would need to use their store in central festival beach. I think they also had another location as well.

About one year ago they also closed the one at the beach and I'm not sure where they have this service today but it is obvious from their actions that things didn't work out the way they thought they would.

I

So obviously it is legal to do this under some sort of corporate arrangement. I next have to find out how the ownership of 'Mail Boxes, Etc.' is formed .... Thai partners or what... If this type of business is restricted to Thai citizens - then I still have other hurdles to jump... If not ... then easier... I am lucky in that being an American I can set up under provisions of the Treaty of Amity which reduces some of the complications...

I am not looking to build a chain of such shops - just one or two to provide extra income and likely a WP along with a non imm B Visa. I don't need this for Visa purposes, I have an non imm 'O' and could get a Extension based on Retirement - but I have read that people on Retirement Extension cannot do this... I also read while there are no written restrictions - but Immigration just denies it anyway. So - converting to a Non Imm B would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.

Also, I was worried that the Thai Post officials would have a restriction against it - but seems not to be the case...

One other thing... Since Thailand is so stretched out geographically ... I would not expect competition from such entities as Mail Boxes, Etc. to rapidly expand over the entire country - just thinking out loud.

Thanks again .... you one post has really helped me a lot to see potential feasibility of this concept.

Dear sir, please realize that if you could not find the widely disbursed chain company MAIL BOXES, ETC. already active in Thailand for over ten yrs at least, are you the person to start a competitor company. You are nearly completely UNinformed about all aspects of what you are thinking about. Look in the mirror more.

I

Dear sir, please realize that if you could not find the widely disbursed chain company MAIL BOXES, ETC. already active in Thailand for over ten yrs at least, are you the person to start a competitor company. You are nearly completely UNinformed about all aspects of what you are thinking about. Look in the mirror more.

I did the search for it did not show up as it is mainly indexed as MBE ... I did not look for that.. Also, you have no idea about my qualification... I successfully ran a business in the USA for 20 years... I do basic research and find that in Thailand getting input from others is helpful. In my 9 months in Thailand (not 9 years) I have not spent much time in Bkk but elsewhere and it seems many business types do not show up in the outer provinces... As with MBE they seem to have concentrated on the BKK area .. I missed them in my observations.. So I rely on the good and kindly assistance of TVF members for local input.

Oh - and I am not looking to be a competitor company to such a large organization but as with many business I hope to occupy a niche or under served area... Or I may check out MBE's Franchise offerings.

Good Day Sir - thanks for your kind words...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

I am in pattaya and about three years ago I was a customer of mailboxes are us who had a location on second road opposite Royal Garden Plaza. They also had another location in the basement of central festival beach which was really a tiny area. First, they notified customers they were closing their store on second road and that customers would need to use their store in central festival beach. I think they also had another location as well.

About one year ago they also closed the one at the beach and I'm not sure where they have this service today but it is obvious from their actions that things didn't work out the way they thought they would.

That is a good one ....Thanks ... Mailboxes are us.. I will check that out if I can as it may have some lessons to be learned such as rent overhead, who they were trying to serve, any complications with ownership (Thai/Farang ... man/wife breakup sort of thing...

Yes -- I will try to find friends you live in that area to see if they know anything of this...

Thanks again.

It would be easier to just ask a lawyer what you can do with this Anyone can own a mail box service

I will do that ... at the appropriate time.. just gathering information at the moment.

Thank you for your reply.

Dear Folks... (as we say in Texas) ... Thanks for the input given so far... it is has already been helpful. I will be (at this point) planning to primarily marketing to the local Expat community.

In monitoring Thaivisa for a number of years, I have read many discussions about Thailand Post... And have noticed while Thai Post can have good service - it at times breaks down and it seems that the problems were with the local delivery person more than in central processing. I have read stories of mail being tossed, stolen and just not delivered. The concept of a mail box rental service cuts a lot of that down - especially if the mail box company employee goes to get the daily packet of mail at the Post Office.. Plus I have read that in some areas that rental of Thai Post boxes is limited as they are often rented out - not available. Plus there are Expats like me who have spent some time traveling all over Thailand and neighboring countries - where mail forwarding with one stable address is very helpful. Then there are some Expats who work off shore and do not want their mail to pile up or even for their mate to filter though the pile...

My interest came about when needing a stable address to receive my replacement Credit and Debit Cards.. My current situation - renting an upstairs flat in a townhouse and the first floor unit does not even have a mail box.. So where does the mail deliver guy deliver the mail - especially if I am not here?

Also I am quite experienced at knowing how to control overhead - cost of doing business - in order to make a profit. Plus I am pretty good at doing innovative marketing...

So when I get all the pieces together - take a reading on the potential customer base ... sample opinion from potential customers - I have several ways to do that ... I will then get more serious... I will be searching for secondary and related services to offer at the shop location to help assure more potential paying transactions for each customer visit... not just the rental of boxes.

Also - I am going to be scouring the TVF posts about forming a company under the Thai-American Treaty of Amity ... which makes much of what I want to do more feasible... I have read quite a bit on this but I am going to get the particulars down ... I have found one company - legal firm - that specializes in this..

Thanks again ...

Check any Thai post office. Most offers that service for its clients for free.

I have read and heard that 'renting' Thai Post Boxes is not easy because they are often full up - not available - depending on location. Never heard they were free... And the very first post on this thread shows numerous MBE -- Mail Box, Etc. shop all around BKK.. so it would seem that there is a market even if you were correct that services are free at Thai Post..

Here is the link to what seems to be a success chain (franchises of MBE -- Mail Box, Etc.)... Looks like that they have found way to sell those Free Services that Thai Post gives away...

http://www.mbethai.com/mbe_network_bangkok.asp

Grand opening at MBE Hua Hin Shop

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684719-new-business-in-hua-hin-mailboxes-etc-ups-services/

Plus several posters here on this thread have commented on their use of such Mail Box shops..

That is a good one ....Thanks ... Mailboxes are us.. I will check that out if I can as it may have some lessons to be learned such as rent overhead, who they were trying to serve, any complications with ownership (Thai/Farang ... man/wife breakup sort of thing...

Yes -- I will try to find friends you live in that area to see if they know anything of this...

Thanks again.

Sorry I got confused between the two companies it wasn't mailboxes r bus . It was MBE that you referred to in post-19.

Before you spend any money it might be useful for you to try to track down (if it's possible) the couple, who had this franchise in pattaya before in the locations I referred to. It was a middle-aged farang and his Thai wife that were running it and it really looked like they had a successful business. It might be worth your while to try to find out why they didn't keep going in those locations.

Thanks again.

Sorry I got confused between the two companies it wasn't mailboxes r bus . It was MBE that you referred to in post-19.

Before you spend any money it might be useful for you to try to track down (if it's possible) the couple, who had this franchise in pattaya before in the locations I referred to. It was a middle-aged farang and his Thai wife that were running it and it really looked like they had a successful business. It might be worth your while to try to find out why they didn't keep going in those locations.

I will try that ... it wont' be easy ... but I do have some long time resident Farang friends living in the area. Your post just caused me to remember that and make the connection... Very good idea... thank you... Again.