Toyota Service Schedules

55Jay

I bought a new Tuna May of last year. Just about to clock 20,000 km so had the Mrs. ring the agent we used for the 10k service, and make an appt.

Apparently the agent told her we've taken too long to reach 20,000 km, so they plan to perform the 30,000km service instead; and something about if the air filter isn't too bad, they wouldn't change it, just blow it out with air I presume.

Looking at the Toyo Thailand website, does seem they've attached time periods to each KM service. The agent said if we don't stick to the schedule, we lose out on services.

Is this normal? This is my first new car ever, so not sure if this is normal in other parts of the world. What's the catch, if any?

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/aftersale.php?page=suggestion

Edited by 55Jay

Perfectly normal, as you said: The service schedule is based on a kilometer OR time limit, whatever comes first counts. In your case it would have been time for a service before you reached the 20.000 km as 12 month had passed already. Your warranty and free service work is only valid if you have the car serviced according to the conditions of Toyota. So in therory they could refuse to help you when something is broken because you didn´t follow their maintenance advise, but it seems like the dealer wants to help you out and put everything in order again.

What might be a little confuesing for many of us are the very tight service schedule most car brands have in Thailand. In Germany I could drive 2 years between recommended services, hereiI´m at the dealer almost every 6 month just as stated on the Toyota website. Guess it must be the climate and thougher conditions in general for the vehicles here.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Perfectly normal, as you said: The service schedule is based on a kilometer OR time limit, whatever comes first counts. In your case it would have been time for a service before you reached the 20.000 km as 12 month had passed already. Your warranty and free service work is only valid if you have the car serviced according to the conditions of Toyota. So in therory they could refuse to help you when something is broken because you didn´t follow their maintenance advise, but it seems like the dealer wants to help you out and put everything in order again.

What might be a little confuesing for many of us are the very tight service schedule most car brands have in Thailand. In Germany I could drive 2 years between recommended services, hereiI´m at the dealer almost every 6 month just as stated on the Toyota website. Guess it must be the climate and thougher conditions in general for the vehicles here.

I've never had a new car but I've owned many cars. Sorry, no, I've never heard of car maintenance based on age. KMs on the odometer, yes.

Did look up the Terms and Conditions of Toyota Thailand's New Car Warranty. One disqualifying event is not having the car checked every 10,000 KMs or as per the model's user manual. Nothing about not have it checked when it's X months old. I'm not behind, I'm right on schedule, they are way ahead and it makes no sense.

At the rate I'm going, they'll be doing the 100,000 km check when I have 60,000 KMs on the OD. If the car's not 3 years old by that time, then what?

On a related note, the Toyota dealer here said the new vehicle warranty period is actually only 2 1/2 years, not 3 years. Looking at that Toyota service link in OP, the last check is 100,000 KM at 30 months.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

OP - yes, as post #2 states, the service timing schedule is critical. I had a page folded over for missing a service date due to low Ks on my Mitsu PJS. All brands of new car dealers are the same.

E:T

Edited by Ping

OP - yes, as post #2 states, the service timing schedule is critical. I had a page folded over for missing a service date due to low Ks on my Mitsu PJS. All brands of new car dealers are the same.

E:T

OK, thanks. Still can't get my head around it.

If you don't mind responding again, what does having a page folded over mean?

OP, this is a new one on me as well.

For posters who say time between services is equally as critical as miles/kms driven, I say bullpucky.

The important thing is that the 30K "service" is more thorough than the 20K mile so you will be getting more.

However, they cannot have it both ways, the 30K mile service requires "replace engine air filter" and "replace cabin air filter".

It does not say "inspect and replace if necessary".

Hold them to it.

Edited by ClutchClark

Its not only Toyota, Yesterday I took my Mitsubishi Triton for a 10 k service.

I had actually 11 k on the clock and the car is 11 months old….

I had to have a 20k service carried out (12mths) to keep within the warranty conditions

It clearly states on the Mitsubishi web site under the servicing schedule that

‘Table of parts list that must be maintained according to distance.

post-126668-0-62393200-1412211839_thumb.

I showed them this on their computer but they where still adamant that the service is based on time.

Even on a big board on the service center wall, every service is stated in kilometres (distance)

So in that case I will be having my 30k service when the car on 18mths old and only about 15k on the clock…go figure.

Have a Nice Day.

For posters who say time between services is equally as critical as miles/kms driven, I say bullpucky.

The important thing is that the 30K "service" is more thorough than the 20K mile so you will be getting more.

However, they cannot have it both ways, the 30K mile service requires "replace engine air filter" and "replace cabin air filter".

Hold them to it.

Hmm yes and no, if you don´t use your car a lot and have a very low mileage your fluids, belts and whatever is on your car will still continue to age. Maybe not as much and fast as when you do a 100 miles everyday but it happens anyway. Somehow Toyota warranty has to cover all different kinds of drivers and then it might seem for some that their car doesn´t require service yet while another has covered a lot more miles and is in need of an oil change already. The schedule is based on the worst case scenario I´d say. As a customer you have to follow their rules as long as you are in the warranty time. Maybe not all of it make sense yes. Maybe the cabin air filter is still fine, maybe not. A good dealer might apply some common sense to what they change and what not and the service plan would still be done according to the rules.

After that you´re on your own and can do as you please, though continued following of the Toyota service plan will make them more open to future "good will" actions if something goes wrong after the warranty period.

• Like 1

Hold them to it.

Hmm yes and no, if you don´t use your car a lot and have a very low mileage your fluids, belts and whatever is on your car will still continue to age. Maybe not as much and fast as when you do a 100 miles everyday but it happens anyway. Somehow Toyota warranty has to cover all different kinds of drivers and then it might seem for some that their car doesn´t require service yet while another has covered a lot more miles and is in need of an oil change already. The schedule is based on the worst case scenario I´d say. As a customer you have to follow their rules as long as you are in the warranty time. Maybe not all of it make sense yes. Maybe the cabin air filter is still fine, maybe not. A good dealer might apply some common sense to what they change and what not and the service plan would still be done according to the rules.

After that you´re on your own and can do as you please, though continued following of the Toyota service plan will make them more open to future "good will" actions if something goes wrong after the warranty period.

Hmmm....No.

I knew there would be that guy who would have to try and lecture...and you are that guy.

Please tell me how many years the warranty is on this Tundra in Thailand. Is it not three years? If that Tundra sat in a garage for three years and was never driven, the belts would not have dried up and fallen off. The fluids would not have lost their ability to perform--well, the windshield wiper solvent might have evaporated some. The motor oil would even still be good. OK, the battery would be dead and need replacing. Have you never stored vehicles? The events that you are talking about are more like 5+ years.

And the OP had his last service less than a year ago and the vehicle is less than two years old so those worst case scenarios you talk about would not have possibly happened short of a manufacturing defect.

And I did not say the OP would not have to follow Toyota rules in the warranty time, in fact, I stated clearly that he should insist the rules be followed and the rules call for a replacement of engine and cabin filter and that is not left up to the determination of a visual inspection. It is called out for specifically in the maintenance schedule service for 30K miles. This dealership does not get to pick and choose what it will honor.

Edited by ClutchClark

They've always had time/miles criteria....are car that gets used more is usually cleaner running than one with occasional use....less sludge - seals stay lubed - rubber components remain more pliable.....

In my experience Toyota is very concise on maintaining schedule maintenance for their vehicles + hold a very high standard and training for their techs.....In the US most techs hang their hats on ASE certifications (which is dubious as can be attained in junior college without much hands on) - Toyota doesn't consider ASE as a way to certify....

They feel the same in the process of maintaining the product that they sell....the maintenance coupons might show a few things but the techs are in fact looking after the entire vehicle......

The periods have always been time and or mileage and they are both important for the vehicle......

• Like 1

They've always had time/miles criteria....are car that gets used more is usually cleaner running than one with occasional use....less sludge - seals stay lubed - rubber components remain more pliable.....

In my experience Toyota is very concise on maintaining schedule maintenance for their vehicles + hold a very high standard and training for their techs.....In the US most techs hang their hats on ASE certifications (which is dubious as can be attained in junior college without much hands on) - Toyota doesn't consider ASE as a way to certify....

They feel the same in the process of maintaining the product that they sell....the maintenance coupons might show a few things but the techs are in fact looking after the entire vehicle......

The periods have always been time and or mileage and they are both important for the vehicle......

Toyota used to hold a very high standard but they traded in their "Total Quality" standard about one decade ago and they have the recalls to prove it.

Don't get me wrong, they are still a premier brand and build an excellent product. I still have a Tundra in storage back in Colorado.

I would agree with you that a stored car can deteriorate more quickly than a DD that has been properly maintained but I would say you don't begin to see the manifestation of that deterioration for the first 3 years unless it was stored in a field and jungle grew up around it ;-)

As for sludge, that typically results from moisture and not getting a vehicle up to proper operating temp to burn it off--rather than a seldom used vehicle. If a vehicle is just sitting then there could be some minor emulsification from condensation. I always run synthetics so that is not the issue it was with dinos.

OP, I wish you well with your future service needs. These threads often start out in a fraternal way with guys all working with each other but yours jumped immediately to the guys who need to "one-up" and that takes the fun out of it.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Hold them to it.

Hmmm....No.

I knew there would be that guy who would have to try and lecture...and you are that guy.

Please tell me how many years the warranty is on this Tundra in Thailand. Is it not three years? If that Tundra sat in a garage for three years and was never driven, the belts would not have dried up and fallen off. The fluids would not have lost their ability to perform--well, the windshield wiper solvent might have evaporated some. The motor oil would even still be good. OK, the battery would be dead and need replacing. Have you never stored vehicles? The events that you are talking about are more like 5+ years.

And the OP had his last service less than a year ago and the vehicle is less than two years old so those worst case scenarios you talk about would not have possibly happened short of a manufacturing defect.

And I did not say the OP would not have to follow Toyota rules in the warranty time, in fact, I stated clearly that he should insist the rules be followed and the rules call for a replacement of engine and cabin filter and that is not left up to the determination of a visual inspection. It is called out for specifically in the maintenance schedule service for 30K miles. This dealership does not get to pick and choose what it will honor.

Why the extreme example of 5 year storage?

More long distances and therefor more km's means per km less wear and tear, more short distance rides and less km's in total means per km more wear and tear. Hence a schedule based on time and km's.

We can always find the extremes, maybe you can contact Toyota headquarters about the warranty on your 5 years stored car. But this schedule is meant for nearly all users and has to be applicable to nearly all users, hence both km's and time as a standard.

• Like 1

Hold them to it.

Hmmm....No.

LOL, service your Tuna or leave it, I don´t care clap2.gif

Your post really didn´t sound like it´s a good idea to follow Toyota´s advise. You said time is not as critical as distance travelled, I agree with that! Where did I deny that?

But at the end it´s Toyota´s recommendation, not mine and not yours.

Toyota used to hold a very high standard but they traded in their "Total Quality" standard about one decade ago and they have the recalls to prove it.

Don't get me wrong, they are still a premier brand and build an excellent product. I still have a Tundra in storage back in Colorado.

I would agree with you that a stored car can deteriorate more quickly than a DD that has been properly maintained but I would say you don't begin to see the manifestation of that deterioration for the first 3 years unless it was stored in a field and jungle grew up around it ;-)

As for sludge, that typically results from moisture and not getting a vehicle up to proper operating temp to burn it off--rather than a seldom used vehicle. If a vehicle is just sitting then there could be some minor emulsification from condensation. I always run synthetics so that is not the issue it was with dinos.

OP, I wish you well with your future service needs. These threads often start out in a fraternal way with guys all working with each other but yours jumped immediately to the guys who need to "one-up" and that takes the fun out of it.

Cheers

CC agree with you to some extent but will still put them up against about any other mass produced car......

Interesting note on recalls - Toyota is about the only company I know of that actually voluntarily introduces their own recalls based on QC feedback from service departments - unlike other manufacturers that hide everything that they can including introducing recalls for one area of a vehicle but in fact fixing a second item on the car that is a known hazard they wish to conceal under a (hidden "lifetime" warranty)

2nd note - Toyota is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that flies in platform engineering teams if an unusual concern or performance/safety problem is discovered in the field that they'd not experienced before.....

Yep - have a 4 Runner in sealed storage in the USA myself.....

Thanks for all the responses. I've been to Toyota today.

The new car came with 5 "coupons" providing free labor during the service checks. each having its own 6 month validity period.

Coupon #1 covers the labor at 1st 10,000 KM check, but must be used within the first 6 months. Doesn't matter if you driven 10k in the first 6 mos or not. Use it or lose it.

Coupon #2 expires at 12 months out, linked to the 20,000 KM check...Etc.... 6 months each period, 10,000 each, x 5 coupons. Use them or lose them.

There are no physical coupons, persey. Nobody explained this program to me or my Mrs when we bought the car. We did know we had a free labor benefit during service checks and I presumed it was for the 3yr/100km warranty period. So, we've been simply watching the KMs on the odometer, as you do.

We did the 10,000 KM check about January I think, didn't pay labor, so I guess we got Coupon #1 even though counting it out now, we were at about 7 months vs. 6 months. Close enough I guess. So, that would of put the next 12 month Coupon #2 (20,000 KM) service about June of this year.

We were leaving on holiday in June, had just under 18,000 KMs on the clock, so figured we would do the 20,000 service when we got back to LOS in September. That's where it all went off the rails.

And so here we are. Coupon #2 expired so we lost it. The labor during our service today was covered with Coupon #3, which would normally correspond to the 30,000 KM / 18 month service check.

This was all about the Coupon Program. blink.png Nothing to do with kilometer based service requirements and no bearing on the Toyota 3 year/100KM warranty.

Again, this is the first new car I've ever purchased. I did think it was a nice perk that Toyota Thailand included free labor at service checks. It does seem to me though that this coupon program and its 6 month increments, is the tail wagging the dog.

Got a call back from Toyota Thailand. He stuck to the coupon program. I did point out the offer was very good, I like and appreciate it, but it has now completely taken over any semblence of common sense in the normal maintenance program. It's all about using the coupons on time to get something free. The fact you may not actually need the product/service yet, is not a part of the equation.

Anyway, at least I had a go. He did say dealers would be advised to ensure sales staff emphasize the details of this coupon program to new car customers to avoid confusion later.