Prayuth denies nine-day New Year break

webfact

Prayut denies nine-day New Year break
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday denied rumours shared on social media that the government would extend the New Year public holiday to nine days. He pointed out that no country enjoyed such a long public holiday.

The Cabinet yesterday approved a five-day holiday for the New Year period, running from December 31 to January 4. January 2, which is a Friday, was made an additional public holiday by the Cabinet yesterday.

Piyaman Techapaiboon, president of the Tourism Council of Thailand, had earlier called on Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrongkul to ensure that the New Year holidays were extended to January 4. He said this would boost the number of tourists planning holidays during the period by 24 per cent.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-denies-nine-day-New-Year-break-30244583.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-02

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I always appreciate the incredible accuracy of Thai government members' forecasts - a 24% increase in tourists planning holidays indeed!

It could be much more than 24% when the Thais start releasing the Ebola "cure" that they discovered a few days ago at Mahidol as reported extensively in the Thai press.

• Like 1

I always appreciate the incredible accuracy of Thai government members' forecasts - a 24% increase in tourists planning holidays indeed!

This 24% is for domestic tourism. The difference between having 2 day holidays and a 5 day holiday would make a very big difference to the number of people travelling.

Of course, if the Friday wasn't an official holiday, a lot of people would probably still take the day off anyway.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It could be much more than 24% when the Thais start releasing the Ebola "cure" that they discovered a few days ago at Mahidol as reported extensively in the Thai press.

Don't hold your breath (on the 'Ebola' cure)

The realm has never discovered, invented, perfected, developed anything that has benifited the human race.

Oh well I suppose, let them dream on.....zzzzzzzz

• Like 1

This 24% is for domestic tourism. The difference between having 2 day holidays and a 5 day holiday would make a very big difference to the number of people travelling.

Of course, if the Friday wasn't an official holiday, a lot of people would probably still take the day off anyway.

domestic tourism...we don't need a second Sonkran already enough people get killed during this period

domestic tourism...we don't need a second Sonkran already enough people get killed during this period

New Year (the western one) is usually a long holiday, whether it's official or not. I can't remember the exact figures, but the number of road deaths is similar to Songkran.

The realm has never discovered, invented, perfected, developed anything that has benifited the human race.

I don't know about that mate! Thai jasmine rice is one of the top selling rices in the world. Thai rubber too...Oh and He who shall not be named also came up with a method of cloud seeding!...

If the 3rd and 4th have now been declared official holidays then the 5th & 6th would have to be holidays also as 3rd & 4th fall at the weekend.

If that is the case may as well extend it to 9th. Oops, that brings us to another weekend!

Looks like it will be from 31st December to 11th January!

I'm a little weary about these extended holidays.

The country is still suffering from an economic downturn, the productivity is down, the economic forecasts are not very rosy.

And they are giving more holidays, hoping to generate money from internal tourism.

Where is this internal tourists going to find the money from?

Will it not harm the industry and the public services?

OK, with bringing happiness to people but that is temporary happiness and it can harm Thailand in the near future.

Again saying all that, workers in Thailand do not get extended holidays as we do in Europe, so those days compensate for the lack of holidays.

A catch 22 situation.

If the 3rd and 4th have now been declared official holidays then the 5th & 6th would have to be holidays also as 3rd & 4th fall at the weekend.

If that is the case may as well extend it to 9th. Oops, that brings us to another weekend!

Looks like it will be from 31st December to 11th January!

It's only the 2nd that has been declared a holiday. The 31st and 1st were already holidays and the 3rd and 4th are on the weekend. Public servants don't work on weekend, so this is aimed at them. Private companies don't have to give this holiday as they only need to give staff 10 public holidays a year. Of course, a lot of private companies will because nothing actually gets done anyway.

The country is still suffering from an economic downturn, the productivity is down, the economic forecasts are not very rosy.

And they are giving more holidays, hoping to generate money from internal tourism.

OK, with bringing happiness to people but that is temporary happiness and it can harm Thailand in the near future.

Again saying all that, workers in Thailand do not get extended holidays as we do in Europe, so those days compensate for the lack of holidays.

A catch 22 situation.

But that is temporary happiness"

You should know by now, that Thailand is all about temporary happiness!!giggle.gif

post-218648-0-29562100-1412219453_thumb.

A catch 22 situation.

But that is temporary happiness"

You should know by now, that Thailand is all about temporary happiness!!giggle.gif

attachicon.gifBeautiful-thai-Women.jpg

Gimme 9 days with her and I guarantee I'll be happy wink.png

Note to self: Remember to send wifey to her folks house in Sungai Kolok during those 9 days facepalm.gif

I don't know about that mate! Thai jasmine rice is one of the top selling rices in the world. Thai rubber too...Oh and He who shall not be named also came up with a method of cloud seeding!...

and there is also the arse blaster !