Police promised cash reward to buy false testimony: Koh Tao taxi driver

webfact

I believe this is the 2nd person to come forward claiming the police offered big money to testify falsely (the 1st person said he was also beaten by cops?).

There could be another side to this. Picture this: one or both did actually have pertinent info. However, when they came forward (hoping for a fat reward, perchance?) the scenario they're greeted with (by cops) is different than they expected. Similarly, when the village headman hears of a witness which may further incriminate his brood, then the plot thickens further. It was the village headman who this latest 'bogus witness' went to, according to the report. It would be interesting to know what sorts of conversations actually took place between all these players, all of whom, except perhaps the (false) witnesses, are agenda-driven. And the agenda doesn't appear to be: to find and prosecute the actual criminals.

There won't be any transcripts, because 'above board' is an alien concept to Thais.

• Like 1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if any of the police have been DNA tested?

good question, and the answer is: 'very likely not.'

If they start the investigation stating "A Thai person could never do this." Then it goes without saying, "A Thai policeman could certainly never do this sort of thing. I'm offended that you would even say such a thing. Quick, get my lawyer. I want to slap a defamation suit on you."

• Like 1

Are there 2 kamnan on Koh Tao? Both Woraphan Tuvichian and, in this case, Korbchai Saowalak are cited as holding the position.

Right , same i thought , village chief is a phuyai baan , district chief a kamnan . Or do I mis something here ?

That's it. I'm done with it.

do not give up keep it in the media help to tear down those b.st.rds
and remove these police from the investigation. Even if they actually arrest the right guy thier credibility will already be under question in court and the suspect will probably walk.

If the police are are calling him in twice, they obviously think he knows something. Perhaps the village headman is encourageing the driver to be quiet.I dont think the cops just chose a random taxi driver and beat him up. There are two sides and i am standing by the police. The english police are known to give their suspects a beating now and then. I think the police are quite close to an arrest, but just need abit more information. If that guy was so innocent he would be sueing the cops a---s. All praise to the police, beat him up again and get his mouth relaxed

He wasn't a random taxi driver though. I believe he played for the same team as the three footballers the police planned to pin it on, hence him being the witness, and hence the police saying the other day that they were close to making arrests (they obviously had to backtrack once this guy didn't play along). Maybe part of the story they wanted him to give was that he was there and he didn't like the way it was heading? i.e. they could have switched more of it onto him once he had given his 'statement'.

May well have been caught between a rock and a hard place. Don't envy him, and don't envy the three footballers either *if* they were innocent as they would have been in massive doodoo just for walking behind the wrong person on cctv.

Now, will the new cop in charge of the investigation have the balls or integrity to DNA the family members? Me thinks not. Until that happens this will continue to stink.

Edited by bunglebag

I'll say it again. We need to quit thinking DNA. These guys want a cover up and the semen taken from the woman probably no longer exists. If they have semen, it probably came from Sakhon Wherever from some guys who've never been out of Isaan. No one on or near that Island will ever match that DNA.

The Brits have the real DNA from repatriating the body, but they'll never get verified samples of real suspects to compare.

The new government doesn't even seem interested. Is there no corruption in the military? I always understood there is.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Speaking later to reporters, Prasit said: "I don't want to take any action against the policemen, but want to demonstrate my innocence and I will cooperate with other requests in the future. Just don't force me to acknowledge [something] I never knew [about]," he said

Had a strange experience with a tourist police officer, who played good friend and helper, when an older German man past away last year.

He lied about everything, said that he'd used his "police credit" and payed 38 K for the hospital bill out of his own pocket, when we were trying to get the dead body out, to his house for the usual ceremony.

We gave him the cash paid the "rest" at the hospital, but later found out that he was just a freaking liar. 38 K for his pocket.

When talking to thew hospital superiors it was clear that I wouldn't be in the pole position to tell the truth.So, we just forgot about the money and moved on.

I'm pretty certain that they'd have found some drugs in my car/house, etc, or that he'd have found a witness saying that I raped a little girl. or anything else that you can think of.

I fully understand why the cab driver doesn't want his name to be mentioned. Completely. ...laugh.png

Have you ever seen the look on a local guys face when you tell him that you have no money?

If I could put it down in writing I would make a fortune selling it as a 500 page novel.

If any of this is proven, which of course is unlikely, the the police chief and officers involved should be sacked and possibly charged with fabricating evidence.

But we know this isn't going to happen. They probably won't even suffer the ignominy of being moved to an inactive post.

The cops have known who did it from day 1.

Do they know or even care how they look to the rest of the world when they do this?.......I guess not because they have done it multiple times.

Thailand is quickly gaining a reputation as the land of Rape & Robbery.

• Like 1

If the police are are calling him in twice, they obviously think he knows something. Perhaps the village headman is encourageing the driver to be quiet.I dont think the cops just chose a random taxi driver and beat him up. There are two sides and i am standing by the police. The english police are known to give their suspects a beating now and then. I think the police are quite close to an arrest, but just need abit more information. If that guy was so innocent he would be sueing the cops a---s. All praise to the police, beat him up again and get his mouth relaxed

"the English police are known to give their suspects a beating now and then"?

What are you talking about? After that comment I can only assume everything else is not worth reading,, Yep just read it and i was right.

• Like 1

"the English police are known to give their suspects a beating now and then"?

What are you talking about? After that comment I can only assume everything else is not worth reading,, Yep just read it and i was right.

He probably lives in Issan with nothing better to do than watch old Sweeny episodes all day while guzzling the Chang. He's also another one who's seen Elvis herding buffalo through the village every Wednesday morning.

Edited by nanapong

Speaking later to reporters, Prasit said: "I don't want to take any action against the policemen, but want to demonstrate my innocence and I will cooperate with other requests in the future. Just don't force me to acknowledge [something] I never knew [about]," he said

Had a strange experience with a tourist police officer, who played good friend and helper, when an older German man past away last year.

He lied about everything, said that he'd used his "police credit" and payed 38 K for the hospital bill out of his own pocket, when we were trying to get the dead body out, to his house for the usual ceremony.

We gave him the cash paid the "rest" at the hospital, but later found out that he was just a freaking liar. 38 K for his pocket.

When talking to thew hospital superiors it was clear that I wouldn't be in the pole position to tell the truth.So, we just forgot about the money and moved on.

I'm pretty certain that they'd have found some drugs in my car/house, etc, or that he'd have found a witness saying that I raped a little girl. or anything else that you can think of.

I fully understand why the cab driver doesn't want his name to be mentioned. Completely. ...laugh.png

You gave 38K to anyone and a cop of all people and without checking with the hospital? Are you in your right mind? You deserve to lose it.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'll say it again. We need to quit thinking DNA. These guys want a cover up and the semen taken from the woman probably no longer exists. If they have semen, it probably came from Sakhon Wherever from some guys who've never been out of Isaan. No one on or near that Island will ever match that DNA.

The Brits have the real DNA from repatriating the body, but they'll never get verified samples of real suspects to compare.

The new government doesn't even seem interested. Is there no corruption in the military? I always understood there is.

See Kirsty Jones case, British police that solved that using DNA (although the Thai police have so far failed to act of course). There is some hope, maybe some intrepid reporter or family member will try to get some DNA from one of the headman's family. Steal a glass from the AC bar maybe.

Thankfully Panya has gone now so I don't have to listen to his moronic remarks each day. Hard to believe they guy got a promotion for his work. TIT.