Melton Mowbray style pork pies.

sappersrest

Just had some pork pie for lunch absolutely superb just like the real deal .Hand crafted by Sausage King.

Nice pastry and the best pork meat filling I have ever had, even had a tiny bit jelly .Small size pie great for lunch with a bit of cheese and a touch of branston pickle.

• Like 2

That's a treat-especially with the Branston. Checked it out in Rimping the other day -270 baht (I think) for a small jar. Outrageous

Did you get the pie at Sausage King or in a supemarket- if so which please? Got my taste buds going now....

I might change my name to "Melton Mowbray" - I think it has a certain ring to it. My son's nickname is Manchego, after the cheese, so we would go well together. Our Staffy is called Branston Pickle - or Pickle for short.

I really need to get stuck into one of those Sausage King pies. Thanks for the info.

I might change my name to "Melton Mowbray" - I think it has a certain ring to it. My son's nickname is Manchego, after the cheese, so we would go well together. Our Staffy is called Branston Pickle - or Pickle for short.

I really need to get stuck into one of those Sausage King pies. Thanks for the info.

Very cheese related names in your family.....Mousehound, Manchego....is your wife named Mozzarella?

• Like 1

Jelly is difficult in this climate, pie needs to stay quite cool to stop it melting away

Please help out the clueless non-pork pie experienced guy here. Are all of you saying that the pie (and I've had some versions of British pies) have a fruit jelly (like a jam) baked into a pork based "pie" that has a baked flour based crust as the outside of the pie? Sorry for being uninformed. I'm trying to imagine the dish because - in my mind -minced pork and warm baked fruit jelly don't mix that well?

• Like 1

Jelly is difficult in this climate, pie needs to stay quite cool to stop it melting away

Please help out the clueless non-pork pie experienced guy here. Are all of you saying that the pie (and I've had some versions of British pies) have a fruit jelly (like a jam) baked into a pork based "pie" that has a baked flour based crust as the outside of the pie? Sorry for being uninformed. I'm trying to imagine the dish because - in my mind -minced pork and warm baked fruit jelly don't mix that well?

In the good old US of A, you call "jam" "jelly". I have no idea what you call jelly.

A Melton Mowbray pork pie contains a jelly made from animal fat, not sugar and fruit. Strawberry jam and pork pie wouldn't go well together, no.

• Like 2

In the good old US of A, you call "jam" "jelly". I have no idea what you call jelly.

A Melton Mowbray pork pie contains a jelly made from animal fat, not sugar and fruit. Strawberry jam and pork pie wouldn't go well together, no.

Ha, ha...let's bring nationalities into the conversation for no reason. I'd expect nothing less from a person of your ilk.

Here's a link to the type of "jelly" that I'm used to seeing - appears to be manufactured in NZ and (based upon the link that led me to the website) consumed in Australia.

http://peplers.com.au/onlineshop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=5

Ha, ha...let's bring nationalities into the conversation for no reason. I'd expect nothing less from a person of your ilk.

Here's a link to the type of "jelly" that I'm used to seeing - appears to be manufactured in NZ and (based upon the link that led me to the website) consumed in Australia.

http://peplers.com.au/onlineshop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=5

I wasn't being offensive in anyway whatsoever, just pointing out language differences between English speaking nations. I'm not, however, sure of what you mean by a person of my ilk.

Never mind.

I've found Sausage King's pork pies to be OK but not great.

A lot of people get it wrong by not putting the gelatine made from the trotters into the holes in the top of the pie after it has been cooked; the holes are a double function, letting out steam during cooking to preserve the interior of the pastry and pouring in the gelatine after it has cooled. I'm not saying Robert does this, I really don't know if he makes his pies that way or not.

I've never had any success with water pastry, don't know why, I can make every other kind, including phyllo, but not water pastry, so I've never had a successful pork pie. I just wait until we go to England and have a monster sized one with peas pudding from Bolams and lashings of brown sauce. I also like them hot, which a lot of people find quite unusual. They are nice hot/ or even just warm, with a salad. But they have to be cold with cold peas pudding, and the peas pudding has to come from Bolams, a fair old drive to Sedgefield, but well worth it.

Pork pies are made with hot past,is this what you call water pastry.

Yes, and of course I should have referred to it as hot water pastry, not water pastry. I really don't know why it is that I can make pretty much everything you can name, but not hot water pastry. Even had my mother standing over me (not recommended) and she watched me (and told me off for having nail varnish on whilst cooking and for not wearing a proper apron and for not having my hair tied back properly and a million other things, but that's a subject for a psychoanalyst one day) told me I'd done everything right, but it still didn't work. I suppose some things are just not meant to be.

They are two different things in the USA. Jelly is made strictly from the juice of fruit while jam is made from crushed fruit.

In the good ol' USA we call savory jelly aspic.

Edited by daoyai

They are two different things in the USA. Jelly is made strictly from the juice of fruit while jam is made from crushed fruit.

Aspic is one of the words we know it by too, but it seems old fashioned, I don't think I've heard anybody say that particular word for many years.

And what we know as jelly I believe you call jello??? Wobbly red or orange or green stuff very popular with kids - comes in either powder or more likely little cubes of almost rubbery texture to which boiling water is added then left in the fridge overnight to set. Sugared, flavoured water really, held together by gelatin, but I used to pinch it from the pantry because I liked sucking on the little cubes of unprepared jelly, very concentrated flavour (100% natural of course. NOT).

Yes, it's aspic in the UK too.