Worse drought in Thailand expected in 2015

webfact

Worse drought expected in 2015

BANGKOK, 3 October 2014 (NNT) - The Royal Irrigation Department and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) have cooperated in preparing plans to prevent more severe drought next year. They have encouraged all sectors to help save the water.

President of the MWA Charoen Phatsara said he had led the MWA executives to survey western water diversion routes (the Mae Klong river basin) with the Royal Irrigation Department after the MWA learnt that the water levels of major dams in the country were worrying low. The survey was part of their efforts to tackle next year’s drought situation expected to be worse than this year, said Mr. Charoen.

After the MWA and the department finished surveying the water diversion routes, they found that some of the routes needed to be improved so that water flowed faster and more sufficiently, said the MWA president.

Meanwhile, MWA Governor Thanasak Watthanathana said the MWA had been encouraging the general public, especially young people and adolescents, to consume water wisely and be aware of the value of water.

Director of the 13th Irrigation Office Prawatwit Sawatduang called on farmers to avoid planting off-season rice in order to preserve the ecological system and assured them that the department would do the utmost to efficiently manage water for them.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-02 footer_n.gif

Hallelujah,

maprachan reservoir (and all the ones around ) are half empty,

And it is still raining hard every day.

So when it stops raining and a few dry months ....what will happen ?

The Royal Irrigation Department and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA)knows the answer,lol.

Hallelujah,

maprachan reservoir (and all the ones around ) are half empty,

And it is still raining hard every day.

So when it stops raining and a few dry months ....what will happen ?

The Royal Irrigation Department and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA)knows the answer,lol.

Look to Australia ... It's mostly desert, and droughts last years. Australians live in a harsh climate and can help educate Thais in this regard, especially Aussies from rural areas.

Gutters around rooves in those drier areas should be a good place to start where water can be collected into a drainpipe and diverted to dams or tanks.

The scandanavians have very deep but not wide dams, this keeps the water in the dam cold and greatly decreases water loss. Warm water in the dam (heated by the sun because the dam is shallow) with wind blowing across the surface of the dam, dry out dams fast. So plants trees a little distance away to break the wind, dig the dams deeper and make the opening at ground surface level smaller.

The climate here feels like Brisbane, Queensland in summer ... and there we had a 4 year drought about 10 years ago that changed peoples attitudes to water usage and how to save water. I can feel it here in the North East, and I'm very worried for the Thais, being so heavily dependant on rice growing and stubborn when i talk about time to begin thinking of growing more that rice, sugar, rubber and palm.

There are many food grains that are drought tolerant ... please Thailand, get smart before you go hungry because rice fails one year.

And please Aussies from the land, teach Thais about water saving and growing alternative food crops. I found WeetBix in Ban Dung, and the girlfriends kids and their friends love them with milk and it keeps them full for hours

Look to Australia ... It's mostly desert, and droughts last years. Australians live in a harsh climate and can help educate Thais in this regard, especially Aussies from rural areas.

Gutters around rooves in those drier areas should be a good place to start where water can be collected into a drainpipe and diverted to dams or tanks.

The scandanavians have very deep but not wide dams, this keeps the water in the dam cold and greatly decreases water loss. Warm water in the dam (heated by the sun because the dam is shallow) with wind blowing across the surface of the dam, dry out dams fast. So plants trees a little distance away to break the wind, dig the dams deeper and make the opening at ground surface level smaller.

The climate here feels like Brisbane, Queensland in summer ... and there we had a 4 year drought about 10 years ago that changed peoples attitudes to water usage and how to save water. I can feel it here in the North East, and I'm very worried for the Thais, being so heavily dependant on rice growing and stubborn when i talk about time to begin thinking of growing more that rice, sugar, rubber and palm.

There are many food grains that are drought tolerant ... please Thailand, get smart before you go hungry because rice fails one year.

And please Aussies from the land, teach Thais about water saving and growing alternative food crops. I found WeetBix in Ban Dung, and the girlfriends kids and their friends love them with milk and it keeps them full for hours

think too mutt. hurt hett too mutt

People interested in these matters may install an app called water4thai for IOS and Android. It shows the current levels of all dams in Thailand and compares with previous years. It is in English and Thai. Data are updated almost daily.

• Like 1

People interested in these matters may install an app called water4thai for IOS and Android. It shows the current levels of all dams in Thailand and compares with previous years. It is in English and Thai. Data are updated almost daily.

Is it available for downloading to my pc?

I guess Songkran will be cancelled oh boo hoo. Might as well pack the old water cannon away. There that is my bit for conservation. On a more serious side I do the best I can to educate my Thai g/f on water usage and our water bill in our condo runs about 105 bahts a month. We have our own well but conservation is still on the agenda. Rather than buy water by the plastic bottle and junk the plastic we refill our 5 litre jugs for 5 bahts. I also filled up a litre plastic bottle full of water and put it in the toilet resevoir.We also shower together and also pee together only takes one flush instead of 2. Yes I imagine the usual trolls will jump on me as there are many water wasters in Thailand who insist on being squeaky clean regardless. Its always the case that when we turn on the tap and nothing comes out then we realize there is a problem. All the new buildings going up in Chiang Mai will surely make the water supply problem worse but which is worse no water or no work. Its a dilemma with no answer.

Mate i come from aus. as well been trying to teach the mrs. and her kids about saving water for 7 years!! they dont want to learn! only when the familys rice crops fail,they might start to listen,but i dought it.

The one truth of any of this, is that Thailand could easily cut sugar and rice production by 30% and not a single Thai would be short of food

" especially Aussies from rural areas"

You mean aboriginals ?

Mate i come from aus. as well been trying to teach the mrs. and her kids about saving water for 7 years!! they dont want to learn! only when the familys rice crops fail,they might start to listen,but i dought it.

An old Chinese saying well known to Thais - one's tears will only fall upon seeing the coffin.