DNA samples from two Myanmar workers match with those collected from British victim

webfact

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is wrong with people in this forum? You are not happy when there are no suspects, and you are also not happy when there are suspects. Who cares if you believe it or not? Probably more than 100 pages of comments in total have been posted about this subject. What it is good for? It will not change anything at all. I really envy you all, you have a lot of time to waste.

And my 2 cents about why Burmese are probably guilty: Sex is very cheaply available for Thais, and they don't desire farang women at all. No Thai would take the risk of jail time or even death sentence just to have sex. On the other hand, Burmese are saving money, every satang is important to them. So probably they don't have access to cheap sex. Also because of their colonial past, probably they are more into farang women. It makes perfect sense that they were the true suspects.

Waste of 2 cents.

Just how long have you been on the island(s)? In Thailand?

Thai guys are into anything female, (the drunker the better). In fact they get way further with trusting holidaymakers - of which there is a never ending supply...

Saying that, I know a couple of Thai guys married/committed to western women and they seem to be okay.

Myanmar guys are generally more restrained and polite, not daring to overstep the line with the Thais. Hitting on western women would most certainly be too far. The police keep them on a tight leash as well.

Your comment about colonial pasts is hilarious! I was born in a colony: it never affected my appreciation of beautiful woman, of any nation.

But it seems you have bought the ticket, and enjoyed the RTP show.

• Like 1

Foreign women get raped here by Thais. Fact. But from the horrific scene photos it really does seem more like a hate crime. David does look like he's been attacked from behind, plus condom (I'm guessing dna from inside may not always be detected). However...major question for their friends with them that night: was there anything hostile between Hannah and someone inside AC bar? Or even previously?

What is wrong with people in this forum? You are not happy when there are no suspects, and you are also not happy when there are suspects. Who cares if you believe it or not? Probably more than 100 pages of comments in total have been posted about this subject. What it is good for? It will not change anything at all. I really envy you all, you have a lot of time to waste.

And my 2 cents about why Burmese are probably guilty: Sex is very cheaply available for Thais, and they don't desire farang women at all. No Thai would take the risk of jail time or even death sentence just to have sex. On the other hand, Burmese are saving money, every satang is important to them. So probably they don't have access to cheap sex. Also because of their colonial past, probably they are more into farang women. It makes perfect sense that they were the true suspects.

Wow.Thai men are not into farang women ? Really ? Are u sure? I guess the Thais that told me they were into Farang women were not being truthful? Are u Thai?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

BP report says the DNA results implicating these Burmese came back in hours rather than the usual days???

So is it possible to get DNA results in hours.

No.

Yes. New machines now can have results in 20 minutes.

Fastest DNA turnaround in history! What lab are they using? Lordy.

This was the first thing that hit me, seriously how quick was it? Can we get somebody in the know to confirm how long it takes to actually get test results in a standard lab?

72 hours would be an expedited turnaround time. There is a new process that will match samples fairly quickly, but it is not yet widely available, even in developed countries.

Good for the police. However, my guess is most still have that little lingering doubt in the back of their heads. The two myanmar are of course toast now. Its jail, court, death sentence for them. Most likely within 2 or 3 months. Maybe even earlier if the government want to show the world they are safe before december.

Oh and this is also why I'm opposed to any country to have the capital punishment no matter how "clear" the case is. Humane treatment of even the worst criminals is one of the things that make for a better society.

Edited by xminator

BP report says the DNA results implicating these Burmese came back in hours rather than the usual days???

So is it possible to get DNA results in hours.

No.

Yes it is. 90 minutes is possible.

Your source? Seems significantly longer from this run-through of the steps involved (even though not all apply here): http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/dna-timeline.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_DNA and http://integenx.com/products/rapid-dna/

The RapidHIT System is the first fully automated sample-to-answer system for STR-based human identification. The self-contained human identification system produces standardized DNA profiles from buccal swabs and other human samples in ~90 minutes. The RapidHIT System uses gold standard sample extraction, PCR and CE technologies. Requiring only three minutes on hands-on to generate five DNA profiles as well as positive and negative controls, the easy to use system fits into any forensic workflow. The output from the system is compatible with local, state and national human identification databases.

Opinion here seems pretty sceptical about this latest development and with good cause.

I wonder if the UK authorities or parents of the murdered folks will be able to get a check against the original DNA recovered at the scene.

As a parent I would not be happy to see scapegoats go to jail while the guilty remain free.

If independent (of Thailand) investigators are permitted to take DNA samples from the accused and compare to DNA evidence hopefully collected from Hannah in the UK and there's a positive match then I'll be convinced. Until then, no chance.

The ball is in the British government court. They can make things happen if they want to. All it takes is to officially request from the Thai government that the British forensic team takes DNA samples from arrested Burmese guys. That would end all speculations. British public and media simply need to put extra pressure on the British government to take the action. As simple as that.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.
  • Like 1

Opinion here seems pretty sceptical about this latest development and with good cause.

I wonder if the UK authorities or parents of the murdered folks will be able to get a check against the original DNA recovered at the scene.

As a parent I would not be happy to see scapegoats go to jail while the guilty remain free.

If independent (of Thailand) investigators are permitted to take DNA samples from the accused and compare to DNA evidence hopefully collected from Hannah in the UK and there's a positive match then I'll be convinced. Until then, no chance.

Convincing you is not likely a priority for anyone.

Assuring the UK government and the press that a reasonable case is being forwarded to the courts is far more important. Clarifying the case with other foreign governments and tour operators would be next.

One thing popping up in my head. Girls DNA and rapers/killers was find on same cigarettes.

1, Did the girl share cigarettes with rapers before she had sexual contact with the britt.
2, She smoked during the sexual contact with the britt.

3, Smoke during she was raped.
4, Smoked after the rape.

5, Smoked when she was dead.

Assuring the UK government and the press that a reasonable case is being forwarded to the courts is far more important. Clarifying the case with other foreign governments and tour operators would be next.

Don't be ridiculous. Of course convincing me personally is of no consequence. What a moronic thing to say.

I don't believe it for a second... they probably offered them the money from the Thai "Scapegoat". Seriously...???? The world is watching and they want to end this without doing the proper job and get tourism back....

"Right, we have sent that million baht to your family as we promised for your guilty plea."

"Baht? Baht? You promised 1 million US Dollars."

"Oh did we? Sorry for misunderstanding"

Regarding the mobile phone,if you watch the YouTube video of Hannah's friend being interviewed at the police station,at 1 min 22 seconds, you can see on the table in front of Hannah's friend is what i presume to be her own mobile phone, but if you look to the right on the desk near the bottle of water there is what looks to be a pink edged mobile inside a purple phone case. It looks very similar to the one in the attachment titled 'Thailand-last-pic' in Post 407 of this thread. Is that Hannah's phone? (sorry can not seem to attach the youtube video)

can you post link?

I find it hard to believe that those two overcame both David and Hannah. More people were involved. Hannah would've made run for her life or at least started screaming and making noise while they were dragging David to the sea. The numbers simply do not add up.

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 2

Why on earth would clarifying the case with tour operators be important?

You seem very worried about the effect on tourism. What are you protecting?

Huh?

I am not very concerned at all. Thailand obviously should be concerned with the impact on tourism. If you aren't then perhaps you are hoping divers leave KT and head to HKT?

I find it hard to believe that those two overcame both David and Hannah. More people were involved. Hannah would've made run for her life or at least started screaming and making noise while they were dragging David to the sea. The numbers simply do not add up.

Anything other than your keen deductive skills to back that up?

Multiple scenarios can explain how 2 men could have done this.

• Like 1

Huh?

I am not very concerned at all. Thailand obviously should be concerned with the impact on tourism. If you aren't then perhaps you are hoping divers leave KT and head to HKT?

If that made any sense at all I might be inclined to argue with you.

They do say that the best form of defence is attack don't they.

Huh?

Which is exactly what you did.

You do not think that Thailand should be concerned about tourism ?

Is Phuket not an alternative dive destination to Koh Tao?

Before you go throwing your defensive accusations around you should note next time you're scouting my profile that I advocate a blanket 'do not travel' warning on this country.

Anything more to say? Because you'll get this deleted for bickering soon. Your aim perhaps.

Personally I'd rather it was left where it is so that people can pick out the ones who are posting in agreement with the thai police just to protect their interests in this country.

Edited by ScubaPhuket
  • Like 1

Huh?

Before you go throwing your defensive accusations around you should note next time you're scouting my profile that I advocate a blanket 'do not travel' warning on this country.

Anything more to say? Because you'll get this deleted for bickering soon. Your aim perhaps.

Huh? You end your first reply to me with an accusing question and I am at fault?

As for your blanket 'do not travel' advisory..

lol

I think Thailand is a great place to visit and to live. (I wouldn't live in Chalong though).

I also think that if the FO is OK with the results of this investigation then I am as well.