Bangkok: Meat found in 'vegetarian' food from China Town

webfact

Meat found in 'vegetarian' food from China Town
By Coconuts Bangkok

wt-img_2175kinjw.jpg
Photo: Watsamon Tri-yasakda

BANGKOK: -- Vegetarian Festival 2014 version 1.0 ended yesterday with the discovery of meat in yellow-flagged food ingredients from the Yaowarat area.

Although this isn’t the first time, it came after health officials vowed stricter standards to prevent the meat contamination of the festival’s vegan fare, only to announce yesterday they found animal DNA from a number of faux-meat samples.

Supposedly “meat-free” sausages, fish cakes, salted fish, meatballs and crab meat all contained traces of animal products, according to Apichai Mongkol, inspector general of the Department of Public Health.

The animal DNA was found in seven of 13 samples. All of them came from packages without labeling to indicate their place of production, he added.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/03/meat-found-vegetarian-food-china-town

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-03

Although this isn’t the first time, it came after health officials vowed stricter standards to prevent the meat contamination of the festival’s vegan fare, only to announce yesterday they found animal DNA from a number of faux-meat samples.

They shouldn't worry, as Chinese people usually don't use pork, or beef. Some cat and dog meat does the trick though.

Great to see the Festival finish up, vegetarian food is off-putting.

Not if you don't want to eat dead animals it's not, and the 2nd vegetarian festival is a few weeks away, enjoy as i'm sure you are an animal lover!

• Like 1

Like anyone would care unless they are vegetarian, which apart from me and possibly a few other farrangs, don't exist in Thailand.

I have never met a Thai vegetarian, but they must exist. of course if this had been non halal meet served up to Muslims the market would probably have been burned down

"Supposedly “meat-free” sausages, fish cakes, salted fish, meatballs and crab meat all contained traces of animal products, according to Apichai Mongkol, inspector general of the Department of Public Health."

Nothing new about this information.

I am vegetarian and would not touch any of these allegedly vegan/vegetarian 'fake meat' products.

They may not be meat as such but they are not meat free.

The list of suspects who may have been involved in these suspect sample reports may be impossible to even determine who they are, You need to deterime orgin, processing plant , transport of product, middle men involved, compentence of sampling, inspection, testing, etc,

Another government official giving a interview to the press and not a single plan of attack to prevent the same thing happening next week. Next week maybe the purity of Thai gold jewerly will be the topic for some minister then flood and drought problems.

"Supposedly “meat-free” sausages, fish cakes, salted fish, meatballs and crab meat all contained traces of animal products, according to Apichai Mongkol, inspector general of the Department of Public Health."

Nothing new about this information.

I am vegetarian and would not touch any of these allegedly vegan/vegetarian 'fake meat' products.

They may not be meat as such but they are not meat free.

What exactly is a meat-free meatball? or vegetarian crab meat or fish cake, for that matter? I am thoroughly confused... facepalm.gif

I'm vegetarian too and for sure find it a big deal.. but also personally wouldn't freak out but rather just not eat at their shop anymore.

There's a huge # of Thai vegetarians, I find it hard for someone living here to have never met one. Just more likely you've never eaten with them or noticed before and the topic never came up. Most don't wear signs :).

• Like 1

I've always chuckled about the Chinese vegetarian festival, which offers veggie "meatballs", veggie "duck meat", veggie "sausages", veggie "chicken mince", veggie "stewed pork knuckle", and so forth.

If you're a vegetarian why would you care that your food resembles meat dishes or ingredients and go to such lengths to prepare them so they look like actual meat?

The same happens with some Indian vegan dishes, by the way.

I understand of course that the local vegetarian festival is more or less a religious/spiritual affair, during which people refrain from eating meat (and strongly spiced dishes) for a week or so in order in order to cleanse their bodies before they go back to eating meat. Yet I find it a rather hilariously ironic practice to imitate meat.

Been here 20 years vegetarian for 42 and never met a Thai vegetarian, only some who claim to be esp on the festival

I have never met a Thai veggie of friends of friends who are. I for one find it most difficult eating here other than pak pak, khao pahad or phad thai. I cant cook in my apartment so I have to eat out. I actually lost just over a stone due to not eating much but I would sooner starve to death than return back to that sheety little cold wet island.

• Like 1